IGNORED

Yurkie's N64 & NES RGB mods *NESRGB in Stock US Distributor*

Yurkie

I heard that the next batch from viletim will have the feature to switch palettes right from the controller. Any idea if this is true or not?

Also I would like to place an order for at least one board when you receive your next batch. Do you need me to send money right away?

Thank you very much.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, but would you be willing to ship the board out to Canada? That would be much more convenient than to have it shipped to one of my relatives in the US. I would, of course, cover all shipping and handling fees on your end.

Edited by n.sevrette

I heard that the next batch from viletim will have the feature to switch palettes right from the controller. Any idea if this is true or not?

Where did you hear that? If so, that would be convenient. I thought you had to power down the NES when you switch palettes though?

Where did you hear that? If so, that would be convenient. I thought you had to power down the NES when you switch palettes though?

Post #264 from game.tech.us

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?48990-Sourcing-a-Nintendo-multi-out-socket/page14

He also mentions it in one of hid videos, around the 16:40 mark:

Very soon. If you want me to install an NESRGB board in your system, purchase from Tim and pay for shipping by me.

Send me your NES to install the board in I will deduct your NESRGB shipping cost from your total.

Boards when available will be around 20 and will likely sell out in less than 48 hours. I will post as soon as they are available.

I got my NESRGB modded console back from Yurkie yesterday, and need to take some time away from playing to gush about how wonderful it is. Yurkie modded my CV a while back and did a wonderful, professional-looking job so I knew I could trust him with my NES. (He also RGB modded my N64 at the same time as my NES, also awesome in its own right, but I want to mainly talk about NES right now!)

Tim's NESRGB board + Yurkie's install = worth every damn penny! That's the quick summary for you. I'm incredibly pleased with both the quality of the NESRGB board and Yurkie's installation using the standard Nintendo multi-out. Like his CV mod, it breathed new life into my NES.

Let me explain that until recently, I was against modifying any of my consoles. Unless it's for a repair or refurb, I hate the thought of even opening a console, much less changing the designers' intentions, for better or worse. I hate seeing ugly holes cut into consoles, random knobs, screws, toggle switches, etc. I know that is blasphemy to some, but it's just how I am. (It's only because I have an extra CV, NES and N64 that I decided to get them modded.)

My objective is to have the best possible video from each game console I own. I use an XRGB-Mini Framemeister and every console that can output RGB is hooked up via RGB. Since the NES could previously only output RGB with the PlayChoice-10 PPU mod which had color issues, high cost, etc, I had resigned myself to the fact that the best I would ever get out of the NES was composite. At least it was better than the crappy RF we had as kids, but boy still looked assy even through the Framemeister. When I saw that Yurkie was doing the mods for this new NESRGB board, I had to jump on it.

Right now as I type this my 9 year old stepson is playing Mega Man 5 (with Game Genie cheats enabled mind you, the game is hard as shit!), and damn, the picture quality is absolutely gorgeous! I'm enjoying just being able to sit and watch. Tim's board is truly wonderful. Colors are bright and the picture is sharp and vibrant. It makes the NES truly shine. Granted, I've only had it back since yesterday, so I haven't had a chance yet to play many different titles. That will have to wait until next week since I've got several days off of work to spend in RGB heaven.

The truly wonderful thing about Yurkie's install is that it looks natural, essentially unmodded-looking which really appeals to me. Instead of having a knob or switch (even a concealed switch on the bottom) to select the palette, I opted to have the palette set to Natural/Normal and simply go without the palette select. I'll attach a picture of the install. Clean, solid, almost like it was always there. Great job Yurkie!

post-24344-0-77201500-1395462324_thumb.jpg

Another great perk of using the standard Nintendo multi-out is it can be used with other cables, so if you wanted to hook it up via composite or S-video, you can. Even S-video through the NESRGB looks striking. As far as picture quality, the NESRGB is up there with Genesis and Neo which both have superior RGB output. I can't say enough good things about it. It's heart-melting and I just love it. I'll attach 3 pictures for sake of comparison: composite, S-video and RGB. Hopefully you can see the difference in quality, and of course these pictures do not do any kind of justice to seeing in person.

Composite

post-24344-0-73658600-1395463089_thumb.jpg

S-video

post-24344-0-48707100-1395463113_thumb.jpg

RGB

post-24344-0-51272100-1395463124_thumb.jpg

One other thing I wanted to mention is RGB cables. I highly recommend Retro Gaming Cables based out of UK (www.retrogamingcables.com). This is the cable you want, and the (very friendly) owner Robert will make the cable without the 220uF caps since the NESRGB board already has them.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

Yurkie, thanks again! You do great work and we're lucky to have you! Everyone else, what are you waiting for?? (I mean, besides more NESRGB boards. They are selling like hotcakes!) Send Yurkie your systems, enjoy and happy gaming.

• Like 1

I have about 15 NESRGB boards in stock ready to ship to US customers, that purchase one thru Tim's website. If you want to send your console to be modded with this board and want me to hold your NESRGB, I will deduct the $5 shipping from your total when system is ready to return ship. Here is a link to Tim's order page for US customers.

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207

I received my Yurkie modded RGB NES a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to actually use it yet as I'm currently moving and my multi-out cables are in a box somewhere.

Just wanted to say that it an incredibly clean mod and it looks like the multi-out belongs where it is. The switch to change the palette you wouldn't even notice unless you picked up the console and looked for it.

Couldn't be happier with it and hopefully I'll be able to find my multi-out cables so I can actually play it soon.

One other thing I wanted to mention is RGB cables. I highly recommend Retro Gaming Cables based out of UK (www.retrogamingcables.com). This is the cable you want, and the (very friendly) owner Robert will make the cable without the 220uF caps since the NESRGB board already has them.

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/super-nintendo-ntsc-rgb-av-scart-cable-av-lead-cord-for-sale.html

So what happens if you use a cable with the caps in it? I have one I use for my SNES and N64, can I use it for this or do I need to get a new one?

This has been a point of contention among those that know a lot more about this stuff than me. Some people use the same cables (which have 200 uF caps) for their NTSC NES, SNES and N64 and seem to have no problems. Others say there is need for caps in the cable since the NESRGB board already has them. If you want everything as perfect as you can make it (like myself), you'll want to err on the side of caution and use regular cables for SNES and N64, and a cable without caps for NES.

Here is Robert's response (from retrogamingcables.com) when I asked him:

Our NTSC RGB SCARTs do include 220uF caps on the RGB lines.

We can however supply this cable without the caps if these are already on the motherboard of a modded NES.
FYI the caps are for de-coupling DC voltage, which means it filters out "direct current (DC)" voltage and only lets AC (alternating current) through. Adding caps also has a slight resistance effect called impedance in AC voltage, so its a good idea to remove any caps from the scart plug is there is already caps on the motherboard.
Best regards
Robert

I think he got that backward. Simplest way to think of the caps is they are filters and prevent voltage drops. I can think of absolutely no reason why they would be anything but a benefit.

I have a write up about cables in post #1.