IGNORED

Apple //e - Which keys are original

BoatofCar

The black ones. Earlier models of Apple II (the original II and the II+) had white lettering on the keys, but the keys were much darker in color than those. I'm thinking that maybe those are some kind of 3rd party replacement keycaps?

EDIT: After looking at a bunch of pics online, it looks like the regular //e (not the //e Platinum edition) came with both white and black keys. So Apple must have made a switch at some point during the //e's production cycle.

Edited by Jibbajaba

I can't say I am an expert on All Things Apple ][ e, but of the apple 2's I have the platinum //e that has the grey keys with smaller black letters.. the apple ][e's I have built in 1983 have the lighter brown keys with the larger White letters like your Apple.. the apple ][e's built in later 1984 seem to have the darker brown keys with the small black letters..

I have multiple Apple ][e's, most have the darker keys with the small black letters, but not all of them are Enhansed //e's.

If you check the motherboard date of your ][e, I would guess it was built in 1983, or early 1984 and was shipped with the lighter brown keys with white letters. Notice that the replacment keys are special with additional ledgens on the front if them.. I bought Word Juggler for the Apple ][e, and it came with the same kind of replaceable keys.. luckily my first Apple ][e was the 1983 date and my Word Juggler replacment keys matched.. I saw later versions of Word Juggler with the darker keys for the 1984-1985 era Apple ][e's..

There was a range of //e consoles that had black keys and were un-enhanced. I have one.

I clearly remember getting the enhancement kit. I even remember being so a-scared to rip into my system, despite all the electronics hacking I partook in. I was "brainwashed" into believing the CMOS 65C02 was hypersensitive to static.

• Like 1

There was a range of //e consoles that had black keys and were un-enhanced. I have one.

I have Three, they have the RFI Enhanced Case, the ©1982 MotherBoard 820-0064-B, No Enhanced ROMS or 65C02 and the Keyboards are Attached to the Bottom PAN, rather than the Case, but have the Dark with Black Letter Keycaps and what I call the Black Key mechanizes..

I clearly remember getting the enhancement kit. I even remember being so a-scared to rip into my system, despite all the electronics hacking I partook in. I was "brainwashed" into believing the CMOS 65C02 was hypersensitive to static.

I bought a kit for my original Apple][e.. Never installed it as well....

20140213_205335.jpg

Keatah, is that what you need?

I too would be interested in seeing the Case Serial Number.. Unless this computer went in for Warranty Service, and the MotherBoard was swapped out, this computer should have the Dark Keys with the Black Letters on them.. It also should have the 65C02 and Enhanced ROM's...

I have reviewed 7 of my 9 Apple ][e's, plus my two Apple //e Motherboards.

From what facts I can piece together, BoatofCar's Apple ][e has an RFI Case, and an Enhanced //e Motherboard. And it should also have the Dark Keys with Black Letters. Even if the MotherBoard was swapped out, All of the White Key Apple ][e's I have, have the Golden Anodized case Power Supplies, not the Silver Anodized case Power Supplies...

I am linking to an Open Office Spreadsheet with my Apple ][e information and in a second Sheet, a description of the Terms and Reasons used in the Spreadsheet..