IGNORED

OIL'S WELL Atari 5200

Aking

Oil's Well is one of my favorites as well. I've played it on many systems and my favorite is ColecoVision.

I quickly tried it out in MESS and a couple of things:

1.You can't pick up the "cup" to get extra points.

2.The "bomb" does nothing.

There may be other things as well. Maybe it's MESS or maybe it's a WIP. Are you doing this from scratch or is it a conversion?

Looks good so far.

Chuck

Oil's Well is one of my favorites as well. I've played it on many systems and my favorite is ColecoVision.

There may be other things as well. Maybe it's MESS or maybe it's a WIP. Are you doing this from scratch or is it a conversion?

Looks good so far.

Chuck

It's Mess. I played it on my 5200 with non of those problems.

Allan

Looks good so far.

Chuck

It's Mess. I played it on my 5200 with non of those problems.

Allan

I did the conversion for Aking and I had missed the cup/bomb - I'd not played the game before and wasn't sure what they were supposed to do. The reason they didn't work was that the collision detection register was read through a zero page location and was missed when modifying the GTIA addresses. The attached version has this fixed - if there is anything else wrong please let me know.

oil_fixed.bin

• Like 3

The fixed version works fine now. Very nice. One thing: There is a space in the "O" for Oil's Well with the number of lives left to the left of the space. Is that space for the extra lives that you can get at 1000 points, etc.? Now that you can get the extra points for the Cup, you can get the extra lives that you need. Is there a limit to the extra lives that you can get? In the ColecoVision version there is a maximum of four. With other versions you can many more than that. I'm up to level 5 so far and everything looks good.

Chuck

When I played the version in the 1st post, the score was running up by itself and I was getting crazy extra lives. I was also dying for no reason at all over and over again.

However the fixed version seems to play great. I only got to the 2nd level so far, but I haven't had much time to play. Going to make time tomorrow. :)

The fixed version works fine now. Very nice. One thing: There is a space in the "O" for Oil's Well with the number of lives left to the left of the space. Is that space for the extra lives that you can get at 1000 points, etc.? Now that you can get the extra points for the Cup, you can get the extra lives that you need. Is there a limit to the extra lives that you can get? In the ColecoVision version there is a maximum of four. With other versions you can many more than that. I'm up to level 5 so far and everything looks good.

Chuck

Sorry I don't know. With these simple conversions (A8 games which run in 16K) I do not have to understand what the code does. All I do is disassemble the program making sure I have identified all the code and data sections, change the h/w register accesses and patch in the changes which are necessary for the 5200. So this version is still 99.9% the same code as the original A8 version.

I lost protos... the entire library... as well as conversions...

Since it is the 128in1 the file that contains your roms should be there, on your hdd, no?

Also I tried both the original and fixed bin on the SD cart and had no troubles besides the bugs in the original.

If I have the software on here, I'll try putting it on my 128in1.

Edited by Official Ninja

I just added the "fixed" Oil's well to my 128 in 1 USB cart with no issue.

I opened my .MCW file using the Atarimax software.

I removed the game in slot 81 (was Oriley's Mine XL Conversion)

I added the Oil's Well fixed rom. Sync'd the cart, Saved the .MCW file.

Played Oil's Well and a few other on the cart to make sure everything is working.

So far, seems fine.

I've also tested both the fixed (thanks, Paul!) and unfixed binaries with no problems with my 128-in-1. I had the same results as Official Ninja... no issues.

Peedenmark7, please check your PM's. I've sent you some instructions that might help you get started in reconstructing your multicart.