IGNORED

MyIDE II and Ultimate 2K14 Lotharek

Stefan Both

Dear all,

well, I'm new in the A8XL business. I collect old systems and I managed to get familar

with the commodores and the Amstrad/Schneider computers as well as some others.

I got the Atari 800XL long ago. Now it's time to get familar with that system.

I ordered a MyIDE II, a couple of weeks ago.

A "formatted" 2GB Card (2 Partitions MyDos and FAT) is doing the job.

Last days, I got a Ultimate from Lotharek, it is allready fitted into

the XL - and it seems to work. (XRAM 021 test without errors)

What do I have to do to get both working together?

Iḿ able to operate MyDos - as well as Sparta Dos (as a user!!).

I don't mind if the suggested solution is based on MyDos or Spartados.

I would be happy, if I could use MyIDE II as a Harddrive, to save and start

programs like Lastword, a paint prg. and so on. Only if possible, use the FAT32 feature

and/or the atr slots.

I bought the Ultimate just to get programs / demos running that need more ram than a

Stock XL can offer. I don't need any additional features, the ultimate can offer - and I dont mind

to use it as 320K..or. ... or... 1088K.

I never flashed a Bios via JTAG - but if neccesary, I've enough confidence to

learn it / do it.

Is there anybody out there, who has the same equipment allready running

on his Atari ? Whatever the suggestion is, I'd like to give it a try.

But please keep in mind, yet, I'm a beginner. ;-)

Greetings

Stefan Both

What other equipment do you have? Sio2PC? Sio2SD? SDRIVE?

You probably want to install MyBIOS R1 or R2 in one of your OS slots (see atarimax forum) of the Ultimate 1MB.

You can do that with a tool called UFLASH programmed by FlashJazzCat (also here on the forum) or you can create something with a tool for windows made by A8warez or AtariGeezer (both tools).

As soon as you have the MyBIOS running in your Ultimate you'll be surprised how much you can do with your MyIDE 2.

I prefer the R1 over the R2 of MyBIOS.

It is not that simple, wall of text to follow ;-).

So if you leave SDX off on U1MB and don't care about PBI booting etc then you can use your MyIDE2 to drive the whole process and simply use U1MB as a mem expansion (320 or 576 or 1088 as the program demands).

Among the MyBIOSes R2 is better than F2 as soft OS does not offer enough compat while R2 being in ROM offers much better compat as the apps can't overwrite it.

Now to be able to flash R2 to U1MB you need to have SDX on and here is where the mess starts as U1MB with SDX on and MyIDE2 don't play nice, they clash in the registers so you may not be able to actually flash that R2 to starts with, I resorted to a PLCC adapter and a ROM/flash burner to get going.

R1 also works with MyIDE2 and some people find it more compat. I know sijmen is still working on the new version of MyBios (R2 and F2) but there still work to do to iron out some bugs (you can check his progress on AtariMax).

So if you are OK to use the MyIDE2 partition space (and images) as your source of data then U1MB can be used as mem only, whatever you boot from those partitions would decide which DOS (there's a MyIDE2 "ready" SDX rom build with soft driver to use MyIDE2 APT space [did you prepare that? ... yeah me neither] from SDX booted from MyIDE2).

I ended up buying a Side2 and that plays much nicer with U1MB SDX and PBI than MyIDE2. I only use MyIDE2 for those R16 images and for the 4 PicoDOS games images that I can lock in in partition space, the rest it's likely easier/faster/better via Side2 [listing a FAT32 directory is much faster in Side2 than FAT32Loader].

Also because of the SDX on requirement in order to flash anything on U1MB if you want to benefit from those OS slots in U1MB and those 4 Basic slot you are better off with a Side2 ... or a real SIO device that you can use to boot the required flashing ATRs (those built by TheRomGen and U1MBRomBuilder).

If you're fine with MyIDE2 partition space then flipping disk by CTRL+1....N is much better than Side2 "press the button", although I believe once the new PBI drivers and new goodies are in the U1MB SDX mounting ATRs in and out from Side2 would be a breeze.

In truth no solution (MyIDE2 or Side2) that sits on the cart slot is fully compat with all programs as some do have custom SIO access routines and those simply cannot be automatically redirected, maybe there are patches maybe there aren't, it's not that common but you'll encounter some (Seven Cities of Gold is one of them, sijmen sent me a patch for MyIDE2 that got a little further than blocking at the "insert map disk", but still blocks further down on another unpatched SIO access). Also on MyIDE2 all those HighSpeed PicoDOS games compilation simply don't seem to work (F2 or R2) but in normal (non HS) it's all much better, I didn't try them on Side2 to be fair.

I hope I haven't swamped you with info or lumped too many things together.

Edited by phoenixdownita

No it's not.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221048-options-for-flash-drive-hd/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2929792

But depending on what you want to achieve it may be a better solution or a worse one depending.

Better: care about R16, fine to use its own tool to deal with the image and partition space (it is not bad, just need to use a PC as intermediary all the time and remember the logic of the tool, the day one can transfer ATRs from the FAT32 to image/partition directly on an A8 would be a great day). MyBIOS itself is pretty great but it is hardly stock.

Worse: deal with APT, you may be able to make it to work but as the author fjc says myIDE2 support is perfunctory at best (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perfunctory)

Integration with U1MB (obviously as Side2 and U1MB are made by the same great HW designer)

So up to you, it's nice to have choices, to each it's own.

Edited by phoenixdownita

No it's not.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/221048-options-for-flash-drive-hd/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2929792

But depending on what you want to achieve it may be a better solution or a worse one depending.

Better: care about R16, fine to use its own tool to deal with the image and partition space (it is not bad, just need to use a PC as intermediary all the time and remember the logic of the tool, the day one can transfer ATRs from the FAT32 to image/partition directly on an A8 would be a great day). MyBIOS itself is pretty great but it is hardly stock.

Worse: deal with APT, you may be able to make it to work but as the author fjc says myIDE2 support is perfunctory at best (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perfunctory)

Integration with U1MB (obviously as Side2 and U1MB are made by the same great HW designer)

So up to you, it's nice to have choices, to each it's own.

I almost completely disagree with you. My problem with your posts is that you have obviously a few negative experiences with MyIDE 2 (I have read a few of your posts about it) and they are all pointing towards your negative experience with a small amount of multiside disks.

The topicstarter here asks what he can do with ultimate 1MB and MyIDE and you are scaring him of.

That Side and U1MB work so nice together has not so much to do with the hardware designer, but by the big efforts of FJC. He wrote a fabulous PBI driver. Without his work, SIDE2 would be pretty useless (unless you are a SDX addict).

A few weeks ago MyBIOS was by far the winner in compatibility. FJC has done a fabulous job in improving his PBI driver for U1MB/SIDE, which makes it finally as compatible as MyIDE.

I have been using MyIDE since 2002, i have been using it on a daily base, wrote several tools for it in the begin time, and I have seen this project growing and growing into something very good.

APT is a choice. For MYIDE you do not need to use APT at all. So pointing in that direction makes no sense at all. Sijmen implented the ability of reserving APT so one could exchange media between SIDE/IDE+ and MyIDE. For the operation of MyIDE it is almost useless. MyIDE has it's own Partitions.

The biggest downside to both SIDE and MyIDE is that they need a modification to the Atari to be as compatible as possible. SIDE without u1mb is not much. MyIDE without u1mb can do more, but is still not ideal. IDE+ is the best choice when you want to stick to unmodified atari.

I state that both MyIDE and SIDE2 can run in combination with U1MB around 98% of all existing atari 8bit software. Indeed the ones with the custom SIO routines not, but that is about demo's. Multiside disks... indeed that is a weaker point of MyIDE but except for a very small amount of titles, there is no reason to state that MyIDE is less compatible. So runs Syncalc a lot better with MyIDE (even on a stock atari).

Oh and one more thing:

Ultimate SDX and MyBIOS do work perfectly together. The only thing you need to create is a config.sys on your MyIDE partition which has also SIO /A in it.

As soon as the MyBIOS startup screen appears, press shift, and U1MB SDX is loaded, and takes the Config.SYS from the partition.

So now you can flash from your MyIDE partition, without the need of SIO.

Only problem is when you want to do is the very first time (U1MB out of the Box)

Edited by ProWizard

I don't really understand. R1 works with original MyIDE + Flash and R2 works with MyIDE-II. Can't be mixed can they?

-Larry

Hi Larry,

R1 works perfectly together with both MyIDE + Flash and MyIDE-II. The reason I switched back to R1 was that I found a few bugs in R2 that are not in R1. And since I also use the MyIDE+Flash I love to be as compatible as possible. Only thing missing in R1 is hot swapping (Which I never use) and the SRAM D8: (which is a feature I dislike anyway).

Hey huu hooo !?

A lot of feedback in a short time ! ;-)

O.K. let´s start over.

My equipment is:

2 Atari 800 XL

1 MyIde II

1 Ultimate newest Version (no need for resistors)

2 Floppy 1050 - one with Happy Speeder

1 1050-2-PC interface

That´s it.

I don´t want to buy a Side2, and I can live with some incompabilities.

Let´ s do it step by step. If I understood right, the first thing is to

flash MyBIOS R1 or R2 in one of the OS slots of the Ultimate 1MB?

I guess, I need a programmer then ? Will read the Thread first ;-)

Thank you for the quick response

Stefan Both

Hi Stefan,

Don't know that 1050-2-PC interface... but can you write a floppy on your 1050 with that?

If yes: that is very good news, you might create the desired floppy then to flash your U1MB with everything you need.

Let me know. If you can't write a floppy with that, and if you can't boot your atari using APE or Sio2PC or whatever, I can send you a floppy disk.

Greetz

Marius

I guess you can write floppy disks back to your 1050 from ATR's, so here we go.

1) MYBIOS.ATR

2) SETUP48RE-20130205.ATR

When you converted these ATR files to real floppy, please follow these steps.

BEWARE: This can go wrong if you don't do the steps right. So if you are not secure, please don't do it.

Remove MyIDE cart from atari.

Insert disk MyBIOS in your 1050.

Switch on Atari holding help.

In Ultimate menu select SpartaDos X to Enabled

Make sure you have the extended memory enabled (320K is ok)

Make sure 1050 is switched on (and = D1:)

In ultimate menu type S, then type C (coldboot)

SDX is started

When you see D1: prompt type UFLASH.XEX

There is a chance UFLASH can not detect your U1MB, that is not a problem. Chose Ultimate 1MB (not incognito)

When you see the list of all contents of Ultimate 1MB move down with the arrows to the XL/XE OS 2 (where diagnostics OS is located)

Press Return, and then in the file selector chose the MYBIOS.ROM from D1:

The rom will be flashed now...

When you are done and back in the all contents screen, press N

You can now alter the name of SLOT 2. I renamed it in MyBIOS

Then press Control+F to flash the new description(s) to your ultimate 1MB

If everything went right, you now have MyBIOS in Slot 2. You can check this by pressing RESET+HELP and go to the OS SLOT and use arrow keys.

With MyBIOS in ROM you need to write the MYIDE menu to your CF card. That is where the other disk is needed.

Disable Spartados X now in the ultimate menu.

Select STOCK/DEFAULT XL/XE OS in ultimate menu. Press S to save changes in Ultimate menu Then switch off atari.

Insert the SETUPRE2013 disk in 1050

Insert MyIDE cart + CF card

In MyIDE cartridge menu chose MyBIOS (this is the SOFT OS!)

In MyIDE menu make sure there is NO partition on D1:

Now let the 1050 boot. If everything goes right the MyIDE menu is written to your CF card.

If ok... from now on you can use the MYBIOS in Ultimate 1MB. You are very compatible now.

Beware: if you decide to use another version of MyBIOS (after an update, or you find another version more suitable for your needs) you have also to update that SETUP sequence with the right setup disk. You can find them on Atarimax forum.

Good Luck!

Marius

Edited by ProWizard

Ok.

On the new version of the Ultimate slots seems to have

different names. But I flashed MyBios into Slot 2. Got it ;-)

It seems to me, I also wrote back setupre2013 to a disk.

In MyIDE choose MyBios

O.K

- But what Do you mean with: "Make sure, there is NO Partition on D1:" ?

Hold down Start, Option, Select to go to FDisk and delete D1: ?

Greetings

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Ok.

On the new version of the Ultimate slots seems to have

different names. But I flashed MyBios into Slot 2. Got it ;-)

It seems to me, I also wrote back setupre2013 to a disk.

In MyIDE choose MyBios

O.K

- But what Do you mean with: "Make sure, there is NO Partition on D1:" ?

Hold down Start, Option, Select to go to FDisk and delete D1: ?

Greetings

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

You don't have to rename it, but you can change it ... with the C option in MyBIOS menu to D2: or whatever. As long as there is a partition on D1: MyBIOS will not boot your 1050, that's why.

So if you change the partition that you have now mounted on D1, to D2: or whatever Dx: there is free, you are ready.

Good that it worked!

Can this also be done with the MyIDE I carts with the Setup Disk or would it scramble Fat32 or Partition. I don't mind starting over and reformat if I have to, just thought I would ask incase I don't have to start with a clean CF card.

That depends on what the current MyBIOS version you are using now, and what the start cylinder is of your partition.

If you are still using the old MyIDE 3.x system I'm not sure what will happen.

This setupdisk is especially for MyIDE 1, but also works with MyIDE 2 though.

But if you don't mind starting over: yes this also works with MyIDE 1 yes.

So use the ROM in the MYBIOS.ATR and use the setupdisk. That is the latest available version of R1, which works extremely well.

There are only some minor issues, but I have been using this version for a year now and it works great.

• Like 1

O.K. tested the Ultimate-Bios settings. If I change from Stock XL to MyBios

(former "Stock XE, there was no diagnostic OS in slot 2 is was Stock XE)

an "new" Bios comes up. (That seems to work)

+ + + + + + + +

I disabled Spartados- selected STOCK XL in ultimate menu. Saved and turned it off.

Inserted SETUPRE2013, inserted MyIDE cart + CF card

In MyIDE cartridge menu chose MyBIOS. Changed D2 to D3, D1 to D2. ESC, Save? Yes.

1050 booted. Loaded data, says something like Done successfully!.

Switched off n´on, MyBios: changed back the partitions to D1 and D2. ESC, Save.

Switch off / on press HELP, Ultimate Menu -> select MyBios.

Save, Coldstart.

The NEW Bios comes up. Press ENTER, Clock is loading, MyDos is loading .. öhhh..

For a short moment, the Dos interface is shown - it scrolls up, and a nearly empty sreen

is left, with the last sentence of the menue shown in the first line.

Dead keyboard - XL freezes.

Do I need a special adapted MyDos to write the system files on D1: ?

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

As it seems you have succeeded a lot, but perhaps now the partition with D1: is for some reason corrupted.

What is the info of the partition (I mean: what is the size of this partition? 65535 sectors? double density etc.?)

Perhaps you could try to reformat the partition and rewrite MyDOS.

You do not need any special DOS for MyIDE.

One thing: when the MyIDE welcome screen is shown (the new bios comes up), are all the features GREEN COLORED? Sometimes the IDE is red, but that is not a problem.

If you select Standard XL/XE OS and use the Soft Version of MyBIOS (the one that is on the MyIDE cart itself) … do you have same issue with this MyDOS Partition now?

There is a slight chance that there is a minor compatibility issue between the R2 that is on your MyIDE cart and the MyBIOS I gave you.

But first let's find out what is going wrong.

Anyway: you succeeded in flashing the Ultimate 1MB, that's a good thing!

Edited by ProWizard

I´m at work ´till 5.00 pm (germany). But as soon as I´m at home, I´ll test

what happens if... and post a picture showing the screen.

How to prepare the partition D1and write the dos files to?

I mean... select stock XL, MyBios, START OPT SELECT and so on,

go back into the "MyDos rescue loader", format Drive, and write the files on it?

I haven´t figure out yet, how to do it, if I select MyBios instead.

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Hi Stefan,

If you have selected the MyBIOS in Ultimate and you start the atari you'll see a welcome screen of MyIDE.

If you press SHIFT here you get back to the MyIDE 2 flash part and there you can select the MyDOS rescue loader.

Since you started with MyBIOS in Ultimate you can use the MyDOS rescue loader AND have access to your MyIDE partitions.

Do not forget to configure mydos itself right with the O feature in the DOS menu.

I have to go right now, but if you need more detailed help, feel free to ask.

Greetz

M.

DSCN1729.JPG

I' m sorry. The forum doesn't allows me to upload flv's ?!

Try to start MyDos from new Ultimate MyBios-Slot, ends with crash:

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/Ultim-Crash-MyBios.flv

Start of MyDos with Ultimate set to Stock XL

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/Ultim-Stock-MyDos.flv

Start of RescueDos with Ultimate set to Stock XL

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/Ultim-Stock-Rescue.flv

Crash by try to reach the rescue loader while Ultimate switched to MyBios

http://www.datentraegerkonvertierung.de/Gast/CrashMenu-MyBios.flv

Tomorrow, I have a "date" with a oculist. I need new glasses. Probably he will

give me eyedrops. Maybe I'm not able to see enough tomorrow evening.

Greetings

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

You did a great thing with the flv video's ... but my computer can't play them. What do I need to play them?

Now I was able to see them.

Type response now...

VLC Media player works good :)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Edit: you edited yours post just before mine ;)

Edited by AtariGeezer