The mighty Nintendo DS handheld was a smashing world-wide success with over 150 million units sold since 2004. The DS is home to hundreds of fun & unique games in every genre...but in this video my friend Kinsey & I reveal some Hidden Gems or lesser known games that every DS gamer should have in their collection.

What games would you like to see in Parts 2 & 3?

• Like 3

My ONLY DS is STILL an original RED MARIO-KART EDITION DS PHAT I bought from Shane R Monroe of retro Gaming Radio podcast. He made it a great deal and I always loved his podcast so no brainier, I ended up playing it a LOT actually, more than I would have thought.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

The mighty Nintendo DS handheld was a smashing world-wide success with over 150 million units sold since 2004. The DS is home to hundreds of fun & unique games in every genre...but in this video my friend Kinsey & I reveal some Hidden Gems or lesser known games that every DS gamer should have in their collection.

What games would you like to see in Parts 2 & 3?

Can you list them? I don't click videos

/\/\/\/\ No, There is nothing wrong with the videos (that I know of). I have actually left the flash player off of my many home machine because I feel like not having it speeds up browsing. Those websites you go to that want to play a flash video are thwarted and the pages load faster. The downside is that I can't view stuff with flash (like a youtube link on a message board).

I also just prefer to read a list of games rather than wait for someone to tell me. I can read much faster that people can talk. The video walk through trend bothers me for this reason (unrelated).

• Like 3

I'm just not big on watching YouTube videos, especially considering what happened with the site in the past couple of years. I tried making a few YT videos back in 2007 and YouTube did everything within its power to make it a miserable experience for me. So these days, I use the site very sparingly.

I kind of miss when the internet was all about the written word, because low bandwidth prevented practically anything else.

• Like 1

Huh- a girl gamer that likes DS RPGs? Who'da thunkit?

Picross 3D

Magnetica

Playmobil Knights

Playmobil Pirates

Geometry Wars: Galaxies (works w/ the Wii game to unlock a secret level)

100 Classic Books (yeah yeah I know, but they shouldve kept this going with subsequent volumes & downloads)

• Like 1

Magnetica definitely. What a great puzzle game!

I just got two DS games in the mail... Bangai-O Spirits was one of them, and the game is gleefully entertaining and infuriating in equal measure. I'm not sure I'd put it in any best of lists, but it pushes the DS hardware to (and past) its limits, and the player along with them. There's nothing like getting killed three seconds into a stage because a huge cluster of rockets sped toward you almost immediately after it started.

• 2 years later...

Surprised to see Okami on there. Seemed to be written off immediately by most people, so I never gave it a second look. I just might reconsider it now.

Like Kelsey said in the video, in many ways it's a bit of an improvement over the original because the Celestial Brush is so much more intuitive and useful in the DS version.

• Like 1

Damn. I didn't know Retro Game Challenge goes for so much these days. I bought it early on because I'm a big fan of the Kacho but I found another complete copy used for $7 and bought it just to have a spare or give to a friend. I'm glad I picked up that extra one! It validates my bad habit of getting extra copies of the same game when the price is right.

MJR, do you watch GameCenter CX/Retro Game Master?

Damn. I didn't know Retro Game Challenge goes for so much these days. I bought it early on because I'm a big fan of the Kacho but I found another complete copy used for $7 and bought it just to have a spare or give to a friend. I'm glad I picked up that extra one! It validates my bad habit of getting extra copies of the same game when the price is right.

MJR, do you watch GameCenter CX/Retro Game Master?

Back in the day, I had to import it - as it was never localised for Europe (and thus meant it was never going to come to Australia), and watching that bit of MJR's vid… I am so glad I did back then.

It's funny that in general, the DS was the system which really got me into hunting down import stuff, even if a large chunk of said titles were just US versions - still a nicer way to get into the process than had I done so earlier on! ;)

This is the tv game show, right? I don't think so...although people mention it from time to time...

Yeah! You should check it out when you get a chance! The basic premise is that it's a Japanese man who's given the task of beating one retro game in every episode, most of them being absurdly hard Famicom games. As someone who hates let's plays, I love this show.

Here's most of them with English subtitles: http://www.gamingcx.com/p/gccx-videos.html

It saw a homebrew translation and can even be bought on cartridge, although I believe that it's restricted to DS/DS Lite hardware due to DRM measures implemented with the DSi line and carried forward with the 3DS.

So that's the next best thing. :)