IGNORED

Games on Cartridge and CD, and which is more rare.

Rick Dangerous

Okay the topic pretty much explains what I'm going for here. In this thread please don't be shy, include homebrews.

Cart CD Rarity/Expense

Iron Sodier 2 Iron Soldier 2 Cart

Impulse X Impulse X Cart

Is that it? There has to be at least 5-10 more. Someone mentioned frog feast was out on cart at some point? Let me know and I will update this list.

There is also Hover Strike on Cart and CD, I'm not sure if one is more rare than the other, but the CD version improved everything vastly, including controls, frame-rate, graphics, options and added 10 more levels over the cart version, and those extra 10 levels have graphical improvements that even out do the improvements of the other levels on the CD. Basically, if you have a Jag CD, get the CD version and forget the cart version exists, becuase the CD is so much better. If I were to give both a grade, the cartridge version would be a C- and the CD version an A.

As to the ones you listed, Impulse X I believe is identical game-wise, but the CD is cheaper. And Iron Soldier 2 is the same game-wise, but the cart version is missing the music and FMV. IS2 cart is more rare and more expensive.

Edited by Gunstar

Hoverstrike! How did that elude me...just got the CD version a week or two back and thought I had seen that somewhere on Cart. Well, wish I could update the first post but guess I have to do it this way. Frog feast? Anything from Songbird or Atari age store have a limited cart run release? Full Circe: Rocketeer did right? I guess I'll only put stuff on here if anyone has a chance of getting it. No point in putting on Rocketeer Cart if there are only 7 copies in existence...

Cart CD Rarity/Quality

Iron Sodier 2 Iron Soldier 2 Cart/Identical

Impulse X Impulse X Cart/Identical

Hoverstrike Hoverstrike CD/CD Superio

Edited by travistouchdown

Who is currently selling the cheapest CD Hoverstrike after shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hover-Strike-Unconquered-Lands-Atari-Jaguar-CD-Factory-Sealed-Hoverstrike-/181318038247?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a3765b2e7

$23 bucks CIB, Free Shipping. Not going to get much cheaper than that...

Is that it folks? 3 Games on CD and Cart? I know there has to be a few more...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Hover-Strike-Unconquered-Lands-Atari-Jaguar-CD-Factory-Sealed-Hoverstrike-/181318038247?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2a3765b2e7

$23 bucks CIB, Free Shipping. Not going to get much cheaper than that...

Is that it folks? 3 Games on CD and Cart? I know there has to be a few more...

Yeah, I will tell you, Hover Strike on CD is really good... it takes a little bit to get into it, but I really like that game.

Cart CD Rarity/Quality

Iron Sodier 2 Iron Soldier 2 Cart/Identical

Impulse X (HB) Impulse X Cart/Identical

Hoverstrike Hoverstrike CD/CD Superior

Frogfeast Frogfeast Cart/Identical

Blackout (HB) Blackout Card/Identical

You're forgetting Painter which had a CD release then a Cartridge release. I've only ever played the Cart version so I have no idea besides the sound and amount of levels what the difference may be. So that would be 3 versions 1 CD and 2 Carts (Standard and SE).

You could sorta say Gorf considering one cartridge was made and sent to the IP holder.

Best Electronics has Hover Strike CD without the longbox for $17.00: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

Songbird sells it sealed in longbox for $29.95: http://songbird-productions.com/catalog.shtml

Telegames UK sells it for £16.66 ($27.73 USD): http://www.telegames.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5384

Cart/CD Release Rarity/Quality

Iron Sodier 2 Cart/Identical

Hoverstrike CD/CD Superior

Frogfeast Cart/Identical

Impulse X (HB) Cart/Identical

Blackout (HB) Cart/Identical

Painter (HB) ?/Limited Release

Full Circle Rocketeer (HB) Cart(Special Release)/Identical

Very interesting. So only two regular releases were both Cart/CD..the rest have been homebrews, most of which saw extremely limited cartridge release.

One a side not Frog Feast does not really qualify as a homebrew because it was out on so many systems? Or is that incorrect?

Edited by travistouchdown

One a side not Frog Feast does not really qualify as a homebrew because it was out on so many systems? Or is that incorrect?

That doesn't matter. A homebrew is a game made at home, meaning a game made by hobby-developers. You can do a homebrew on as many platforms as you wish, as long as it is not done by a company (by "professionals" in their job) it is still a homebrew.

Edited by 108 Stars

I'd say it was homebrew, the guy seemed like a system surfer rather than someone who stayed put for too long, but his release is homebrew.

EDIT: Beaten by 108 damnit!

• Like 3

Cart/CD Release Rarity/Quality

Iron Sodier 2 Cart/Identical

Hoverstrike CD/CD Superior

Frogfeast Cart/Identical

Impulse X (HB) Cart/Identical

Blackout (HB) Cart/Identical

Painter (HB) ?/Limited Release

Full Circle Rocketeer (HB) Cart(Special Release)/Identical

Very interesting. So only two regular releases were both Cart/CD..the rest have been homebrews, most of which saw extremely limited cartridge release.

IS2 isn't exactly identical, the CD version does have great music that is missing from the cart, and the FMV, Gameplay and graphics are identical, but no in-game music. So both official releases of IS2 and HS CD have advantages. It's just that HS:CD's advantages are almost like it being a sequel.

All others just have the advantage of being cheaper on CD, for those that have a CD unit, and also available on cart for those who don't have a CD unit.

Edited by Gunstar

Double Feature #1 was originally released on CD several years ago then re-released on cartridge with Impulse X. Whether you want to count this is up to you.

You were asking about differences between CD/cart versions and I believe there is a difference in the 2 for Impulse X. Creating your own levels and saving them - the CD can access the memory cartridge which allows saving 40 levels. Cartridge can save around 8 levels if I remember correctly.