IGNORED

The dreaded Kristen Keller is back ... Atari threatens atari-forum.com

Looks like the company masquerading as Atari these days is back at it again.

A cease-and-desist letter has been sent to the owner of atari-forum.com demanding he surrender the domain name over copyright infringement. :( Geez louise.

So we can't have domains with "Atari" in the name anymore, hmm?

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26131

• Like 3

Its disheartening to see things like this happen, they are prepared to pull the plug on a site primarily used by dedicated fans of their old systems, not forgetting all the resources and info there (and here for that matter)

Surely they should be able to fight this in a court, the site has been around for years now, I reckon unless the people that are filing the complaint can realistically show why they would want the site name and that they are actually going to use it they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

• Like 1

They have an obligation to try and enforce their trademark where they see infringement, but I can't see how Kristen thinks that anyone is attempting to do trade with the mark in this case. She doesn't seem to understand that by targeting fans she's shooting the company in the foot.

If it were my site, I'd first try to explain to her that no trade was going on with the mark. If protest continued, I'd change the forum domain to not include the mark and promptly setup a "modernatarisucks.com" or "infogramesatarisucks.com" site, with a factual explanation of the situation on the main page that included the communications with Atari. Allow others to post their stories of harassment, or how they feel the brand was diminished in the current owner's hands.

high voltage, may I humbly suggest you edit your post, given that this issue was resolved and the lawyer in question isn't actually trying to sink the Atari retro community?

Is there anything pro-active we can do to not be in this situation?

I'd say there is nothing to be done that Ms. Keller hasn't already done. Seems to me the best possible outcome was the one that happened.

• Like 1

high voltage, may I humbly suggest you edit your post, given that this issue was resolved and the lawyer in question isn't actually trying to sink the Atari retro community?

I'd say there is nothing to be done that Ms. Keller hasn't already done. Seems to me the best possible outcome was the one that happened.

I guess so. Hopefully the scenario is the threat happy company they hired finds us, reports us to Ms. Keller and she gives them the go ahead to do squat. I was hoping she was already aware of Al and his great work.

They have an obligation to try and enforce their trademark where they see infringement, but I can't see how Kristen thinks that anyone is attempting to do trade with the mark in this case. She doesn't seem to understand that by targeting fans she's shooting the company in the foot.

If it were my site, I'd first try to explain to her that no trade was going on with the mark. If protest continued, I'd change the forum domain to not include the mark and promptly setup a "modernatarisucks.com" or "infogramesatarisucks.com" site, with a factual explanation of the situation on the main page that included the communications with Atari. Allow others to post their stories of harassment, or how they feel the brand was diminished in the current owner's hands.

One of my friends has done this already: http://www.thisisnotatari.com ... for at least 2 years now, and no nasty e-mails from Kristen Keller yet.

Albert, so you have at least spoken to Ms Keller about the trademark issues at hand. It is my understanding that certain portions of a certain website contain various assets, code, images, technical drawings, tutorials, trivia, and other related "content" pertaining to a certain company's IP, which are avalable for public viewing or download. Does the public availability of such related materials pose a problem to the owner of the assets in question? :ponder:

Just call it Go.Atari, after a Japanese board game, after all that's what it is, a move in the game Go.

Kristen Keller, sounds of German origin, NAZI BITCH

Like Helen Keller, or what?

The times they are a-changing and while this may have escaped the attention of the general public in the UK and the US, the number of Nazis in Germany has declined considerably during recent decades, down to a point where their percentage might be as low as that of Ku-Klux-Klan followers or adepts of similarly outfashioned views.

And no, I am not German although my name might sound even more German than Mr. Keller's.