IGNORED

Which DOS do you use on real hardware (Poll)?

MrFish

Which DOS do you use on real Hardware?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Select your DOS

• BiboDOS
    • BW-DOS
    • Com-DOS
    • DOS 2.0S
    • DOS 2.5
    • DOS 4.0
    • DOS II+
    • DOS XL/XE
    • Happy DOS II+
    • InstaDOS
    • K-DOS
    • Mach DOS
    • MicroDOS
    • MyDOS
    • MyPicoDOS
    • OSS A+
    • Real.DOS
    • SmartDOS
    • SpartaDOS (Disk Based)
    • SpartaDOS X
    • SuperDOS
    • Top-DOS
    • Turbo DOS XE
    • XDOS
    • Other...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I use:

* Dos 2.0S (just because, damn it, it's like that chick you fucked with herpes...it just keeps coming back...)

* SpartaDOS X (this has transcended even its original developer's expectations, for big devices, there is no peer.)

* MyPicoDOS (it's good for small game disks, but larger ones tend to be 30 seconds or so of flipping pages just to get to the game.

I WISHED I could use:

* OS/A+ 4.1 - long filenames! but it literally was a port of the Apple DOS 3.3 filesystem, all of the fields are there, even the file type (A B I S R), but you can't use them from CIO. There is support for LARGE disks (65535 sectors) but, no subdirectories, _WTF_ ?!

-Thom

• Haha 1

* OS/A+ 4.1 - long filenames! but it literally was a port of the Apple DOS 3.3 filesystem, all of the fields are there, even the file type (A B I S R), but you can't use them from CIO. There is support for LARGE disks (65535 sectors) but, no subdirectories,

And no way to detect EOF reliably before a sector boundary.

* SpartaDOS X (this has transcended even its original developer's expectations, for big devices, there is no peer.)

This is interesting: could you elaborate on what were the original developer's expectations? I am asking just for historical record, as SDX history - especially on various structural and programming concepts there - is basically rather mysterious.

I use Superdos, and sometimes Dos 2.5

Occasionaly i use spartados. But i have to admit, that i only have a real Atari system since a couple of weeks..

The reason why i like superdos is that superdos has the option to use Basic even while you booted with the option key (no basic rom active). .

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

Just curious -- is MyPicoDOS really a dos? Thought it was basically a game boot utility. Supports a file system?

Yeah, I know, but a lot of people are using it almost exclusively, so I wanted to get some numbers up. It deserves the recognition.

Edited by MrFish

I use 2.5, MyDOS/MyPicoDOS, BiboDOS and XDOS - although ROM based SpartaDOS seems to be the DOS of choice for IDE solutions, for SIO devices, which I mostly use, I prefer MyDOS/MyPicoDOS for large "disks" on SD card and XDOS for real disks. My use of BiboDOS and DOS 2.5 tends towards an absolute minimum though, since MyDOS and XDOS are both much better.

XDOS is in many ways the most recent version of Happy DOS II+, and thus borrows several ideas from OS/A+, plus it supports floppy speeders such as Happy, Speedy and Turbo - the latter two being popular in Germany only: the Speedy is basically a "Happy done right" (i.e. 65C02, no bankswitching, more reliable cache, new ROM written from scratch) while the Turbo is a cheap speeder that does not require a new drive CPU and/or cache RAM (it does instead require specially (re-)formatted disks) and also provides a printer port (using a cable that hangs out of the drive select switch opening in the 1050's case).

AFAIK Stefan started working on a new XDOS/OS/A+-like DOS that will be able to replace MyDOS.

• 3 weeks later...