Photo

Basic Programming...

28 replies to this topic

#26 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,037 posts

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 AM

The star raiders controller will work as it's electrically the same, but you'll need two of them and the original overlays won't fit, as the controller has a different shape, so you'll have to make your own (or apply labels on the keys).

If you have patience, you can print the overlays yourself and cut out all the holes...

http://atariage.com/...wareLabelID=908

#27 GeekDragon OFFLINE  

GeekDragon

Star Raider

• 82 posts
  • Just call me Geek!

Posted Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 PM

Thanks for the info.  I'm gonna look for the controllers and overlays.  If I can't find them, I will try printing them.

#28 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,710 posts

Posted Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:00 AM

Is there any other trivia on this title? This seems really, really weird as an Atari release, and looked to me like a "sucker buy", that is, only suckers would buy this. Even in the old days, I don't see a reason for this title. Did Atari really have this much cash to waste on a title with such limited capability? Or did Warren Robinett convince Atari that this needed to be published, just for the laughs?

Computer programming was BIG back in the 1970's. Just look at all the magazines from the time period. You could find programming mags at your local grocery store. Kids in high-school had to pass math exams in order to get into the computer lab. It was THE thing. So whatever the story behind it, whatever its limitations were, it was an appropriate title for the era.

#29 Nukey Shay OFFLINE  

Nukey Shay

Sheik Yerbouti

• 21,686 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 6:59 PM

If you still have this code, I'd like to see it.

It's incomplete.  I gave up when discovering that it would still be limited to 99 bytes (or "symbols") maximum...tracked by BCD.  Higher values refer to keyword tokens and characters, which is why the pointers for them begin at value #$A0.  You can write a program, but the stack will overflow if you try running it because it's not interpreting.

Attached Files

• jhd likes this

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users