IGNORED

What can I do with the Adam Link Modem Today (2014)?

ValkerieSilk

Is it possible to use a dialup Internet service to get online or network??

IIRC a browser doesn't exist yet, I guess so much for surfing the net.. : (

Are there any other uses besides gaming, storing to disk and printing out simple things?

I remember using dialup on a Dreamcast back in the day but that's way different

I thought about getting an ADAM and/or Exp. Module 3.. if I find a good enough deal.

More than anything, I want a set of ADAM controllers, a cool color alternative that looks sweet with Yurkies mods, I'd just swap a black colored cord. These are also needed for lighter colored dyeing job in some cases, black needs many coats before it really bonds, thickens and brightens up..

Really not much as far as online uses. There are some BBS's still up and running in North America and probably elsewhere, but as far as the Internet... it's possible, but would only display text of course. You can also use the modem to direct connect to another computer you might have and then transfer files between the two systems although the last time I tried this method, I did not have any luck. I guess that I am getting lazy in my old age and don't want to research the modem options on the PC side that need to be configured properly especially since there are numerous conversion programs that can be used to transfer between systems using Disk Drives.

I tried calling BBS' about a year ago with my ADAMLink modem and I could never connect. As a cross-test I tried calling the same BBS' with my Atari 130xe and external 300/1200 baud modem and often did connect.

I'm thinking the technology for the ADAM modem is so old that is just can't connect to other computers anymore.

Either that or my modem is defective.

The only true test would be to find another ADAM user with a modem and try connecting to each other.

Other then a door stop...

You can still connect to another ADAM using ADAMLink modems. About four years ago, I setup one of my ADAM computers at my sisters house. We used AdamLink I software to send messages and also played Modem Chess. Modem Chess is a pretty good chess program that even has some speech synthesis. There's also another game that I didn't have back then called Modem Tank. Two, three, or four people can play at the same time over 2 ADAM computers.

post-13580-0-40218300-1393824440_thumb.png

post-13580-0-20297000-1393824478_thumb.pngpost-13580-0-65431500-1393824489_thumb.png

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 2

Yeah, I used to plug my ADAM and Atari together via modem (actually, I would just plug them into the same phone line)...I'd dial a "1" or some other number on one of them and answer on the other. Worked fine...but seemingly I can no longer even do that. I'm wondering if the phone system has somehow changed since the 80s so it is no longer compatible with doing stuff like that.

Really not much as far as online uses. There are some BBS's still up and running in North America and probably elsewhere, but as far as the Internet... it's possible, but would only display text of course. You can also use the modem to direct connect to another computer you might have and then transfer files between the two systems although the last time I tried this method, I did not have any luck. I guess that I am getting lazy in my old age and don't want to research the modem options on the PC side that need to be configured properly especially since there are numerous conversion programs that can be used to transfer between systems using Disk Drives.

Yeah, I used to plug my ADAM and Atari together via modem (actually, I would just plug them into the same phone line)...I'd dial a "1" or some other number on one of them and answer on the other. Worked fine...but seemingly I can no longer even do that. I'm wondering if the phone system has somehow changed since the 80s so it is no longer compatible with doing stuff like that.

Pulse versus tone dialing, perhaps?

Oh yeah, that's cool!

You can still connect to another ADAM using ADAMLink modems. About four years ago, I setup one of my ADAM computers at my sisters house. We used AdamLink I software to send messages and also played Modem Chess. Modem Chess is a pretty good chess program that even has some speech synthesis. There's also another game that I didn't have back then called Modem Tank. Two, three, or four people can play at the same time over 2 ADAM computers.

attachicon.gifmodem_ches-1_picture.png

attachicon.gifmodem_tank-pic-1.pngattachicon.gifmodem_tank-pic-2.png

I'd love to try this but I shut off my land line last year because we never used it anymore. I wonder if I can emulate a land line via wifi or cell? Also wonder what protocol is used and at what Baud rate.

attachicon.gifmodem_ches-1_picture.png

attachicon.gifmodem_tank-pic-1.pngattachicon.gifmodem_tank-pic-2.png

I'd love to try this but I shut off my land line last year because we never used it anymore. I wonder if I can emulate a land line via wifi or cell? Also wonder what protocol is used and at what Baud rate.

Are there latency issues to think about at such slow baud rates? Or because of the slow baud rates, do you not have to worry about latency? I know zip about this, but at 300 baud, how long of a pause can you get in a ping and not disconnect?

Call someone who cares. j/k

But yeah, as described above, you don't even need a physical phone line for 2 computers to talk to each other. You can just use a direct cord connection, ignore the "no dialtone"(ie use blind dialing) and they are connected.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the bump, but it's on topic -

I recently decided to bring that ADAM back on-line to try my hand with BBS fun. I tracked down the list of remaining dial in BBSs and called out to The Borderline BBS (24 hours, 300/1200/2400 baud), which is hosted on a C64.

951-652-1690

The BBS also accepts telnet so I logged in that way first and created an account. Later last night I fired up the ADAM and dialed out. Despite my best efforts I coukdnt maintain a connection. I wrote the Sysop, and he mentioned that Telnet locks dial in calls at 2400 (the telnet setting). However he agreed to lower the telnet speed to 300 baud so I could dial in! He mentioned he would keep it at 300 for a few days so give it a try - since I still need help!

Not sure what the problem is, but the connection gets dropped snd I hoped a few ADAM users might call in and discover what I'm doing wrong - or maybe that's just the fate of the ADAMLink!

So for the next few days let's try to relive 300 baud glory!

I use the Adam link to connect to my PC and transfer software. Look at http://smartbasic.neton how to do without a phone line

Any interest in making and selling the required adapter? My electronic skills are not that evolved as of yet to be able to interpret the diagrams. That kind of adapter would be incredibly useful for me for a variety of old computers with modems.

• Like 1

I had the exact same problem a while back when I tried a similar experiment. The ADAM would connect with a BBS briefly and then the carrier would drop. I would try calling the same BBS on my Atari 8-bit with a 300/1200 baud modem and it would connect fine.

I also use to be able to connect my Atari and ADAM together by just plugging them into the same phone line and dialing one digit with one computer and answering with the other. I can no longer get that to work either.

Sorry for the bump, but it's on topic -

I recently decided to bring that ADAM back on-line to try my hand with BBS fun. I tracked down the list of remaining dial in BBSs and called out to The Borderline BBS (24 hours, 300/1200/2400 baud), which is hosted on a C64.

951-652-1690

The BBS also accepts telnet so I logged in that way first and created an account. Later last night I fired up the ADAM and dialed out. Despite my best efforts I coukdnt maintain a connection. I wrote the Sysop, and he mentioned that Telnet locks dial in calls at 2400 (the telnet setting). However he agreed to lower the telnet speed to 300 baud so I could dial in! He mentioned he would keep it at 300 for a few days so give it a try - since I still need help!

Not sure what the problem is, but the connection gets dropped snd I hoped a few ADAM users might call in and discover what I'm doing wrong - or maybe that's just the fate of the ADAMLink!

So for the next few days let's try to relive 300 baud glory!

I had the exact same problem a while back when I tried a similar experiment. The ADAM would connect with a BBS briefly and then the carrier would drop. I would try calling the same BBS on my Atari 8-bit with a 300/1200 baud modem and it would connect fine.

I also use to be able to connect my Atari and ADAM together by just plugging them into the same phone line and dialing one digit with one computer and answering with the other. I can no longer get that to work either.

Were you connecting at 1200 bps or 300 bps? I know that there were ways to limit connections lower than certain speeds on some BBS software

The plot thickens. I couldn't connect to Borderlands at 300 baud, but I did manage to connect to the Seattle Community Network BBS at 300 baud at 206-386-4199.

Not sure what's going on -- it's like the ADAM doesn't handshake properly with Borderlands (or at all), and as a result, the BBS/C64 hangs up.

The plot thickens. I couldn't connect to Borderlands at 300 baud, but I did manage to connect to the Seattle Community Network BBS at 300 baud at 206-386-4199.

Not sure what's going on -- it's like the ADAM doesn't handshake properly with Borderlands (or at all), and as a result, the BBS/C64 hangs up.

I tried calling the Borderline BBS last July. The BBS answered then garbage characters printed nonstop on the screen for about a minute then we were disconnected.

It's cool you got thru to the Seattle BBS. I'll need to get things set up this weekend and give it a try.

Welcome to 1984. ;)