IGNORED

Mystery Jag Project #1 ?

guSTaw

I wouldn't hold your breath :)

It's said that for over 10 years now, it's probably just a way of saying "there's always something new for the Jaguar on the way". I don't think it's specifically a single title.

At least back then there were 7 titles on offer and now there are 10 or more, so that's why I came to that conclusion.

the "coming soon" lynx stuff has been so for over a decade.

chances are you'll come and go from the community before you find out what the mystery projects are, if Carl is actually sitting on a proto for some unspecified reason :P

the newer stuff he's released has been acquisitions unforseeable at the time that he listed the mystery project.

but i agree with SH3 it's just a way to keep Songbird on people's radar. he'll probably publish a few more games dev'd by other hobbyists but it'll be a nice surprise if the mystery project is actualy real and something substantial.

Edited by Willard

Songbird had 2 mystery projects listed for many years, a well as more mystery Lynx projects, and known projects. Robinson's Requiem was one of the Jaguar's mystery projects. So while I wouldn't hold my breath, I still expect to get the second mystery project one day. The reasons for long periods between news or or releases from Songbird's projects is there are several, many working with outside talent, and it's all just a part time hobby business. Whatever reasons for delayed release, if due to license or just game completion, it all stems from a part time business with limited resources. I think Songbird has done amazing things, all considered. And he keeps all releases perpetual, so they don't start costing a fortune like limited releases tend to do.

This is nothing to give Songbird a hard time about. If anything Carl has been consistent with releases over the years, and always keeps up stock. Robinson's Requiem is fairly young still, and before that we had Total Carnage released. If he says he has a mystery project, then I believe it. Whether it ever sees the light of day is another story of time and where-with-all, but I'm sure it's not vaporware or just a marketing gimmick.

Edited by Nuclear Pacman

It could be that he's working on completing Phase Zero. I recall reading that if they (meaning Carl and the broken-up Phase Zero team) can't find the remaining code, Carl will just finish the game himself. Or something.

That was if the original team members came across the lost source code, they would give it to Carl to finish the game. But without the source code, it can't be finished.

My guesses to mystery project #2 are: 1) Ishar 3, supposedly finished for the Jag, but lost, but these are the same people that Robinson's Requiem came from, so it's possible. 2) Soul Star, which was being worked on by another party, and may not have anything to do with Songbird at all, but, since no one has heard from those people maybe Carl arranged something. 3) Highlander 2, which had been rumored to be complete (H3 was still on the drawing boards though). 4) Creature Shock, another lost title that was supposedly done. 5) something else entirely.

I'd hope it was a completed Phase Zero or Ishar 3 most and then Soul Star, but that may still get released by others someday. Though I'd like H2 as well. Creature Shock I have on the 3DO and it's not that good of a game so hopefully it's not that one.

it would also be nice if it was a scrolling shooter (with lots of parallax levels), the Jag is lacking there, with only Raiden as a contender and there were a lot of lost/unfinished 2D horizontal and vertical shooters.

Edited by Gunstar

Actually, I think some one brought up this topic about six months to a year ago, and I seem to recall that Carl left a reply that Mystery project #2 was still viable...

I met Carl a few times over the years and he is a very nice guy. I met him at the Jagfest in 2001 and again at the Classic Console and Gaming Show in Cleveland years back. I spoke to him a few times about projects and he loves doing them and getting them out to Jag fans. But it is not an easy process a lot of times and it takes quite a while due to many things. I hope he is still able to work on and release Jag games, betas or demos.

I didn't see any hate in that topic. Someone mentioned the comparitive small size of the Jaguar market and I mentioned a possible lack of copy protection. Maybe I didn't pick up on something, though.

There was no hate there, I just mentioned that I lobbied for a Jaguar version while the MD original was still in development. Registered at JSII, the center of the Jag community and saw that it was filled with complete nutcases back then. Stopped lobbying for the Jaguar then.

IMHO homebrew games should releases his graphics, music, maps and documents, etc.. if someone it's bored can take this assets and port it to other platform.

WM has become a real company, making real money with the game. Pier Solar was a homebrew originally, but now it is a commercial product.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...