IGNORED

Noob thinking of VBXE: How to connect to monitor?

I've been admiring the "VBXE 2.1 for ATARI XL" at Lotharek's for a while, but I'm confused; the installation manual only has instructions for RGB monitor and SCART output.

I have an NTSC 800XL and a monitor that can take composite, S-video, component (Y, Pb, Pr), VGA and DVI. If I were to get a VBXE, how could I hook it up to my monitor? Is it really as simple as hooking the RGB signal to my component plugs? Do I need some kinda signal converter?

Thanks,

-Joe

RGB and Component are different and not compatible.

You need something that can handle 16 KHz RGB. Most VGA monitors won't. Many TVs have VGA ports now, but I've got no idea if many/any will work with VBXE.

If you go signal convertor, the ideal route is probably one that gives Component since it's similar to RGB and there should be little change of quality and probably no annoying signal lag.

Wouldn't SCART be the better route since you can go SCART to HDMI? Is this even an issue for NTSC models with the VBXE

Smokeless Joe's monitor can not do scart

been there , done that...

Gonbes adaptors are a no go

the one in the link is the cheaper of the flawless solutions

I was wondering about that one. I especially like that it's a regular box rather than just a board.

Kinda spendy, though. Looks like the VBXE board is just the first part of the investment.

I was wondering about that one. I especially like that it's a regular box rather than just a board.

Kinda spendy, though. Looks like the VBXE board is just the first part of the investment.

there are 200+ us$ options, this is the cheaper of the working ones...

get this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15Khz-RGB-RGsB-RGBS-to-VGA-Scan-Line-Doubler-Converter-/310413209763?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item484611b0a3

works great with VBXE

Gonbes and all this board only cheap ,compatible clones have graphic glitches and lag

Will this device plus their DB9-DB15 cable connect a Jaguar w/Catbox to a computer monitor?

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just use an RGB to component converter? Really surprised nobody's brought that up yet.

last I checked, they wanted unreasonably high prices for a couple op amps and some resistors on a PCB. I guess that's the problem with knowing how much money it actually takes to make something AND being able to make it. it makes you want to not buy things.

maybe I should build an RGB to YPbPr converter and if it works well when my VBXE gets here, I can make a board, find a case, and sell a few if anyone's interested.

Edited by Joey Z

This converter is also verified working (although only tested by me on PAL systems):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2612886555291?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261288655529&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

attachicon.gifScan Converter 1.JPG

That's cheap - I went ahead and grabbed one. Will hopefully motivate me to install my VBXE. Been waiting for Simple Stereo 3, but I'll worry about that later.

• Like 1

That's cheap - I went ahead and grabbed one. Will hopefully motivate me to install my VBXE. Been waiting for Simple Stereo 3, but I'll worry about that later.

Good one. I've decided the picture is a tad softer on the pictured monitor than when fed direct through the SCART, but that's no bad thing since the monitor does some ugly and unnecessary sharpening on the 15KHz input. Unfortunately (and bizarrely) I own no CRT VGA monitor to test it with. Note that the picture as shown in the photo needs adjustment: should be moved down to get rid of the crap at the bottom of the screen. The converter has a nice OSD.

Note also: for information, the converter shown is a GBS-8220 model. Just search for GBS-8220 on eBay and you should find a cheap one from HK. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

• 2 weeks later...

I've just cased up the aforementioned scan doubler:

post-21964-0-37932000-1396810625_thumb.jpg

Put a male DB9 on the other side and hooked it direct to the RGB input header. Works with VBXE (using standard DIN13 to DB9 1084S cable) and Amiga 500 (using standard 1084S monitor cable). Displays A500 Super hi-res interlace without flicker on an LG M1921A monitor. Also works with an ST (in low/med res) with the additional of a couple of resistors and a capacitor.

• Like 2

Good one. I've decided the picture is a tad softer on the pictured monitor than when fed direct through the SCART, but that's no bad thing since the monitor does some ugly and unnecessary sharpening on the 15KHz input. Unfortunately (and bizarrely) I own no CRT VGA monitor to test it with. Note that the picture as shown in the photo needs adjustment: should be moved down to get rid of the crap at the bottom of the screen. The converter has a nice OSD.

Note also: for information, the converter shown is a GBS-8220 model. Just search for GBS-8220 on eBay and you should find a cheap one from HK. :)

too sloooow

at least on ntsc Ataris

just start TLW , keep a letter pressed and you will see what i mean

also made a river raid video of the artifacts when showing graphics quickly

Gonbess and all this cheap compatible "board only" doublers are a no go for gaming

too sloooow

at least on ntsc Ataris

Yes - you get artifacts and ghosting (I noticed this using Amiga hi-res), but for 15GBP I wouldn't complain too much: it's cheap and basically works.

Here's a video of various A500 video modes, so people may judge for themselves whether the device is worth the modest asking price:

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yes - you get artifacts and ghosting (I noticed this using Amiga hi-res), but for 15GBP I wouldn't complain too much: it's cheap and basically works.

Here's a video of various A500 video modes, so people may judge for themselves whether the device is worth the modest asking price:

I value your opinion a lot @flashjazzcat

BUT, i don't see the logic here

Why on earth would you spend more than a hundred bucks on an upgrade ,

,make mayor surgery even risking your priced Atari

to get the cleanest posible picture,

an then use a cheap , full of glitches scan doubler ?

i could post a million GAMING videos showing artifacts

may be good enough to show slow apps

but its not worth it at all for gaming