IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 7 Round 2 Koffi- The Yellow Kopter

zylon

I have a question about this game...does anyone know???

Sometimes when I'm trying to put out the fire in the trees, I can't...when I press the fire button I only get a short burst of water then it quits. Even repeatedly pressing the button doesn't do much good as it seemingly spurts water sometimes, other times it doesn't. (and yes, I have lots of water)

Is this a feature of the game because the fire has gotten too high? Although it doesn't seem to happen on a consistent basis or when the fire has reached a certain height.

This has happened to me as well. For me, it Seems like it has happened only on the windy vines stage. Maybe a coincidence? I also noticed it only happens when I have lots of water and when Pyro is defeated. I'm curious about this as well. Edited by Kida0723

That is definitely not a feature. It sounds like the game thinks you are out of water but the meter is still showing water, but I can't tell from the descriptions. I never experienced this and tested / played it a LOT back in the day on real hardware and on Atari800win, so very strange. However, I didn't test the game much on easy setting, which you are all playing on. To test this theory out, when it starts to sputter, go get as many more raindrops as time allows and return to the fire and see if it now works.

What emulators are you all using? Is your yellow water meter maxed-out on the right side of the screen? If you catch more rain, does it solve the problem, or do you just have to wait until the countdown is over and you lose a life? Any more info would be appreciated.

The rules of the game as I remember them are -- you defeat Pyro, then you put out the fire completely. You have a countdown from 9 to 0 and at 0 , and if you fail to put out the fire by the time the timer hits 0, you lose a turn and have to start the stage over. As you are all playing on easy, its hard to believe the fire is very big or that you are having trouble keeping water filled up. Maybe you can take a screenshot when it happens?

Edited by Cafeman

I could video it. I'm pretty sure I know how to trigger it. I could do it when I got home from work...unless someone beats me to it. Like I said earlier, to me it happens on the windy vines stage. And the gage is full. I play on real hardware using the SD cart.

That is definitely not a feature. It sounds like the game thinks you are out of water but the meter is still showing water, but I can't tell from the description ... I never experienced this and tested / played it a LOT back in the day on real hardware and on Atari800win, so very strange. However, I didn't test the game much on easy setting, which you are all playing on. To test this theory out, when it starts to sputter, go get as many more raindrops as time allows and return to the fire and see if it now works.

I just got this glitch to happen. :( It was on the Windy Vines stage, although I wonder if it could happen on any stage. The yellow meter was filled in but the game thought I had no water. I caught some more raindrops and the water would work for a while until I exhausted the internal water points again - but the meter is 'off' from my actual water level.

How depressing for me the author! Wish I'd have seen it back in ... 2002. I suspect that the 'easy difficulty' water rules must cause this, since I never had this happen on normal or hard. Next game I make I need to run an HSC on it before publishing the final version.

Oh well, just catch more rain and finish your level I guess. No refunds! ;)

Koffi2

Improved my score. 68,120

Also, not during this game but before I have experienced the glitch with not being able to apply water to the fire. Also on Windy Vines level after I rescued the last animal. The fire was tall. I assumed it was out of control.

Not sure if the program checks to see if the copter is at a certain level on the screen or if it checks to see how far the copter is from the fire. If it checks the later then perhaps the fire got too deep.

Edited by SIO2

I also have the glitch. Happened to me twice during the last game I played. If you defeat Pyro and then rescue an animal, your water level keeps running out even though the meter shows you still have water left. If you catch drops, it adds to your water and dumps it though, but only for the ones you catch....

281085 (game still in progress have 9+ lives left)

Thought I'd play on my emulator this time. Posting now because I'm playing on an unreliable computer. Game currently paused cause 1, I'm tired and 2, I have to wake up early for work tomorrow. Yeah being responsible sucks. Hopefully nothing happens and I can continue this game tomorrow.

post-37731-0-21710200-1394265129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kida0723

*spills coffee* :-o

I am stunned! A big no-prize to you! I passed the 100k level only 1 time years back, just to verify the score worked at 6 digits. But to see over 700k, again, I am stunned.

As I was playing yesterday, I was happy to see that even on EASY, the game did grow a little bit harder as you went, but it maxes out at a point. So if you have a mastery over it , as Kida0723 does, you can obviously play a long time.

The last time Koffi was in the HSC a few years back, NORMAL difficulty was the rule. This time, default of EASY was used. So, if Koffi comes around again for HSC, I suggest HARD difficulty is picked. Scores will be much smaller I predict. ;)

• Like 1

I am stunned! A big no-prize to you! I passed the 100k level only 1 time years back, just to verify the score worked at 6 digits. But to see over 700k, again, I am stunned.

As I was playing yesterday, I was happy to see that even on EASY, the game did grow a little bit harder as you went, but it maxes out at a point. So if you have a mastery over it , as Kida0723 does, you can obviously play a long time.

The last time Koffi was in the HSC a few years back, NORMAL difficulty was the rule. This time, default of EASY was used. So, if Koffi comes around again for HSC, I suggest HARD difficulty is picked. Scores will be much smaller I predict. ;)

We have one full week left, so...

Play on HARD for a bonus. 5-4-3-2-1 bonus with all receiving at least one point for playing. ;)

a BIG no-prize?!?!?! Thanks!!! hahaha

this really is a great game. i really enjoy playing it. Cafeman, you did an excellent job on the creation of this game. Definately one of my top favorites for the 5200!!!

I'm in for sure, to see what i can score on hard diffuculty.