IGNORED

What is the craziest thing you have done with your TI?

pjduplooy

I tried to make mine control the Nintendo 'ROB' Robot. I started with trying to work out the flashing patterns, but did not succeed (I got SOME movement though!), then I worked out which pins to toggle on ROB's mainboard to move the motors, but my adapter board never worked. Was enough to win Silver at the school science fair though. ;)

I made my TI's PEB switch turn on and off EVERYTHING. The console, printer, light, modem, heck even the coffee cup warmer by the flick of the P-Box switch.

I did it in two evolving stages months apart. The first part of the project is on page #4 of the vancouver8912.pdf document. While this one worked for the drives, it was not enough.

A couple of months later I had the bright idea of expanding and improving upon the original idea. It's on page #3 of the document titled vancouver9003.pdf. As far as I know, I was the only one to ever do this with a TI.

Part one is kind of lame, but part two makes the project actually worthwhile.

sml_gallery_35324_1027_405844.jpg

vancouver8912.pdf

vancouver9003.pdf

• Like 1

I removed the electronic guts from both the console and speech synthesizer and hung them on the back of my desk using picture hangers. I kept the keyboard in the console shell and extended the keyboard connections using ribbon cable, freeing up desk space and allowing me to type with the console in my lap if I so chose. Extended BASIC was my cartridge of choice and coupled with FunnelWeb, I had quite the versatile system. :) The desk is nearly 30 years old, tucked away in a garage up north, picture hangers still waiting for the next 'victim'. :)

I used mine as a development workstation and hardware debugger for a TMS34020 based professional video titling and editing system we developed back in the 90's. When the hardware engineer saw the open bus of the TI PEB he knew it was what he had been looking for. He did the hardware and I did the software. We used TI's 34020 assembler, assembled on a PC, transferred the object code to the TI via serial cable, and from there, put the board on hold using the TI, squirt the code in, and let it run/stop it/single step it.

Fun days. Not much sleep, as I remember. :sleep:

• Like 2

Was he looking for some creative food poisoning, Tim? That tin-lead solder will do wonders for your metabolism. . .and not in a good way.

Oh, I'm fairly certain it was a joke born out of frustration with Myarc's poor customer service. I never actually witnessed him holding a wheel of parmesan to the backside of the board, but it sure got people riled up the times he mentioned it.

• Like 3

There was this one time, I stuck a flute in the expansion port.

I once hid for some reason my house/car keys in the little lift-up unused cart. door in the speech synthesizer, and I spend hours ripping my place apart, before finally remembering they were hiding in my ti speech box.

• Like 1

It was crazy of a kid to mess around with equipment, but I wanted the black keyboard in the newer greyish case (which I actually preferred and also thought it would look neat). So, I switched things -- somewhat. I messed up and damaged the connection to the keys of the grey keyboard, so I only had the one working console. Whoops. TI's were pretty-cheap and not produced for many years, so it wasn't much of a problem. At least I didn't foul up the ginormous PEB when I installed the two 5.25 floppy drives. I was also really pleased when I successfully removed and reversed the fan of the device which was to cut-down on the noise. I could get that correct, but not the other?

Oh....and I remember that I was really into the Snoopy character from Charles Schultz's PEANUTS. At my first attempt at using the TI in BASIC, I typed in "DRAW SNOOPY PICTURE" and it was an 'incorrect statement'...and I didn't understand. Just today, but in Extended BASIC, I revisited this moment and tried again. All I got was a lousy 'syntax error'. I guess I'm still not expressing the command in the form necessary; it's gotta be hidden there somewhere!

As as kid, it was cute (but it was witnessed, so of course the older sibling had to poke fun). Now, though, I guess it's 'crazy'. Yet I think it's interesting that I've learned something just now, too, which was the differences in the error message. I guess I've never realized that before.

Edited by GratedTopping
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, the famous the left-handed console. I believe those consoles were only available south of the equator, where everything is the other way 'round.

Oh, I didn't know about that - all I did was get an image of a TI and play around with it in GIMP. (linux photoshop alternative) :)