IGNORED

Wishing for Vintage Packard Bell Master CD

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking for these specific Packard Bells, Force 482CDT and 872CDT and the Executive/Synera Packard Bell Computers. These computers are going to be my first Packard Bells and I like the hardware inside icon_smile.gif Plus I have a Fast Media Remote along with 2 Master CDs and some DOS games like Doom icon_smile.gif If anybody has these Packard Bell PCs and any Master CD/Diskettes, please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. I am also looking for a Art Deco Case and Corner Packard Bell PC with a 60/66 Mhz Pentium Processor

What are Master diskettes? I just found some 5 1/4" floppies with MS-DOS 4.0 (Diagnostic, Install, Select, Operating 1, Operating 2, Operating 3, Shell)

and A PBVGA-MULTI 16 bit VGA utility disk.

Anyone interested in these? If not, they'll become scratch disks to be used with some old HP test equipment my brother-in-law owns.

Edited by BigO

They say 4.0 on the label. I think I have a machine around here somewhere with a 5.25" drive. Maybe the volume label or a readme or something will say 4.01 if that's what they are.

I'll see what I can see.

[EDIT]: I don't see a machine with a 5.25" floppy. I'll have to hunt down a drive and put it in something.

Edited by BigO

COMMAND.COM reports itself as 4.01 (and a VER will say 4.01 if you use it). But it reports itself to most software as 4.00.

I've seen one copy of 4.00 in my lifetime, on a Dell 386. 4.01 is common relative to 4.00, but rare relative to other versions, because while it fixed some bugs in 4.00, it still had serious issues. For one, and you can blame IBM for this, it was a bloated mess. Most people - and I believe most OEMs too - stuck with 3.3 until 5.0 came out.

I'm not sure how I would ever have convinced myself to get rid of my last 5.25" drive, but I'll be darned if I can find one. Sorry.

I remember 4.01 and vaguely recall 4 being a disaster. Pretty sure I have a copy of 4.01 around still, but not with Packard Bell labels like these. (I probably should have said these were PB labels, but I figured it was implied by the topic).

They're just like these disks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Original-Packard-Bell-Microsoft-MS-DOS-4-0-Disk-Software-Diskette-5-1-4-DOS-/161287230117

Edited by BigO

I'm not sure how I would ever have convinced myself to get rid of my last 5.25" drive, but I'll be darned if I can find one. Sorry.

I remember 4.01 and vaguely recall 4 being a disaster. Pretty sure I have a copy of 4.01 around still, but not with Packard Bell labels like these. (I probably should have said these were PB labels, but I figured it was implied by the topic).

They're just like these disks: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Original-Packard-Bell-Microsoft-MS-DOS-4-0-Disk-Software-Diskette-5-1-4-DOS-/161287230117

Oh, I was not looking for those, I am looking for newer ones around the 1994-1999 Era :) Here is a pic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-Master-CD-with-PC-Doctor-Diagnostics-and-Master-Restore-Diskette-V8-/181398038312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3c2a6728

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-486-Desktop-Computer-System-Complete-Old-School-Gaming-PC-/371053441985?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item56648233c1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Packard-Bell-Ready-To-Go-Welcome-Home-Guides-and-5-Disks-/111340018905?pt=US_Manuals_Resources&hash=item19ec61dcd9

And two of those three auctions you pointed to are for little more than the cost of shipping--which means there is no way you will ever find them for less than that. Even someone offering the disks themselves for free will want you to pay shipping to you--they are not going to pay to make you happy here. . .with no effort on your part. The only way you might get them for no cost is if you happen to find someone local to you--and you meet up with them for the transfer. That's a real low probability event too. I wish you luck, but the parameters you've set yourself give you a very low probability of success.

• 3 months later...

I know that this thread is dated as of March and April of this year of 2014. This is really a quite an interesting site here. Just wanted to let all of you know that those of you who have been looking for Packard Bell computer systems and also the original Recovery CDs to them. We currently have several Packard Bell computer systems available and we have placed a few of them right on ebay now. There will be more on the way soon! There is one which is the Legend 2440 desktop computer that is in a known working condition that had been parted out. We have found the original parts to that system and it will be restored to its original condition complete with the original Windows and the original software apps. This system does have the original Recovery CD and the boot diskette along with the paperwork in the original Packard Bell envelope! This system will be up on ebay very soon! We also have found another Recovery CD, PLUS the boot diskette to a Packard Bell system as well! Those will also be up on ebay soon!

We also have a lot of vintage computers of many different brands like Dell, Compaq, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and a few others that you might not have heard of. Talk about overwhelming number of them that are stacked from the floor up, almost reaching the ceiling! All of these will take a while to refurbish and they will be going straight to ebay, for sale.

Oh, about the Packard Bell computers, we are filling up that category on ebay since they are becoming rare that hardly anyone else are selling them there. If you guys are interested, you know where to go. Happy hunting! Cheers! :)

No offense to the OP but I hated these PB systems back in the day. Especially those long combo cards. Ack. Back then it was nothing but dealing with IRQ conflicts, custom autoexec.bat/config.sys files, sound card issues, trying to get your new Multimedia CD-Rom to work with that new and actually trying to get your modem to connect. Ugh, I'm just happy those days are long behind us.

• Like 2

bobotech, These Packard Bell computers we have available now have been refurbished and fitted with the most modern parts so that you don't have to worry about the IRQ conflicts or any of the other configurations. Everything is pretty much updated. They are set up pretty much like the newer systems where it is automatic. They are also equipped with LAN cards so that they can connect to routers automatically instead of connecting to modems for dialups. Of course they still retain modems in them as well, to use.

• 8 months later...

This threat seems to be the go-to for search hits for Packard Bell models... heh...

There was one of those 90-degree PB computers on eBay a couple of months ago, I hadn't seen this thread, but I guess the OP is over it.

I hate to bash them, but the Packard Bell computers were REALLY bad back in the day. They were built VERY cheaply... and they were actually even sued at one point and lost millions. Packard Bell was improperly re-packaging monitors that were returned by customers, and selling them as new... basically, they would take returned monitors, and selling them as new when people would buy a brand new computer. Some customers were getting monitors that had scratches on the plastic, and / or were broken when they opened them.

There were far-better mass-produced name-brand machines back in the day, including Leading Edge, IBM, etc...

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...