18 replies to this topic

#1 Blazing Lazers OFFLINE  

Blazing Lazers

Stargunner

• 1,593 posts

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014 9:16 PM

This article from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingto...s-on-xbox-live/

...makes me realize I'll be letting my Live subscription lapse if I start seeing ANY sort of political ads when I sign in.

#2 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,033 posts

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014 9:41 PM

The ads that are there are bad enough as they are on the 360. With my XB1 gone now, I'll be letting my Live subscription lapse as well.

#3 Metal Ghost OFFLINE  

Metal Ghost

Stargunner

• 1,461 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 5:44 AM

Ads seem to be much toned down on Xbox One.  I don't really notice many/any.

#4 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,620 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 7:52 AM

Now here's an article that will make anyone say "I gotta run out and get me an Xbox One!"

#5 Bilnick OFFLINE  

Bilnick

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 8:27 AM

I am sharpening my pitchforks and getting my torches out now!

Right after I finish playing Kool Aid Man, Sneak King, and NHL 14.

Are people still getting upset about ads in video games?  It has only been happening for as long as I remember.

#6 BillyHW OFFLINE  

BillyHW

River Patroller

• 3,549 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 9:40 AM

My Atari Lynx doesn't have this problem.

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,033 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 11:44 AM

Are people still getting upset about ads in video games?  It has only been happening for as long as I remember.

It's not about ads in the videogames.. It's about ads on system dashboards/user interfaces. Imagine booting up your computer, loading up your OS, and being bombarded with ad after ad on your main desktop while you are attempting to run an application.

It's one thing to see ads on billboards in games (which are typically inoffensive), along with clever product placements ("Oh, hey, I'm blowing up an actual Coke machine, not some fake knock-off! COOL!!"). It's about being inundated with ads in places where there should be no ads to begin with. That's what it's like when you use a XBOX 360 right now--even if you are paying the yearly $60 fee to Microsoft to use their Live online service.

#8 Bilnick OFFLINE  

Bilnick

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 12:58 PM

I understand what you are saying, but for me they aren't that bothersome yet, even though they are about 2/3 of the screen on the PS3 and 360 home screens. 

For what it is worth, there is much less real estate devoted to ads on the Xbox One. The right 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen has 3-4 tiles. Don't have a PS4 (yet) to compare what it does.

If videogames get like Blue Ray movies where you are forced to watch certain clips, then I would be inclined to agree that ads are too intrusive.

#9 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

Greg's Game Room on YouTube

• 11,251 posts
  • Visit my YouTubes!

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:02 PM

Yes, sucks to be using bandwidth that we pay for to download political ads (or any ads for that matter.)

I may just go back to playing my Atari systems exclusively.

#10 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 10,337 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:50 PM

Why do they keep doing this.....

My tablet, phone, PC, my PS4 (and Wii U) have practically no ads at all. As for MS dashboard ads go, I made an effort to block their ads through my router at home. Once you settle yourself or get used to it it's no big deal but it really pushes people away who otherwise would have bought your system.  Like maybe....me?

I said it before, they need game oriented people running the Xbox division, not ex-cellular people who destroyed other companies.

Currently my PS4 boot up screen for those curious.  It could change but I doubt it. Seems to me they....oh my god....are focusing on video games:

ps4pnbootup.jpg

Edited by cimerians, Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:51 PM.

#11 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 13,033 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 1:56 PM

Seems to me they....oh my god....are focusing on video games:

Exactly how it should be!

#12 Bilnick OFFLINE  

Bilnick

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 3:06 PM

Ahh so PS4 doesn't  have the "whats new" ad scroll like the ps3?

I fired up my PS3 and it was almost all ads, similar to the 360. Taco Bell, Hunger Games movie, PS+ ad, sale on Need for Speed stuff,  HBO, South Park game , some UFC thing, something called PlayMemories,  etc.

#13 cybercylon OFFLINE  

cybercylon

River Patroller

• 2,700 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 5:39 PM

I fired up my PS3 and it was almost all ads, similar to the 360. Taco Bell, Hunger Games movie, PS+ ad, sale on Need for Speed stuff,  HBO, South Park game , some UFC thing, something called PlayMemories,  etc.

Not sure I am really bothered with the ad scroll on the PS3 since most of it relates to games and things specifically on the PSN (e.g., rental of Hunger games movie). If there is other stuff, it's nothing like the garbage that fills the 360 dash board, despite having PAID for their on line service… which may not last for much longer.

#14 Bilnick OFFLINE  

Bilnick

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 7:01 PM

Do the ads stop if you buy PS+?

I just flipped on my PS3, Xbox360, and XB1 and compared. Hit the power button and did nothing else. I do have XboxLive Gold, I do not have PS+. 

PS3 had 12 ads. 8 were for games or PS+. The other 4 were for Hunger Games, HBO, UFC, and PlayMemories.

Xbox 360 had 6 ads. 3 were game related (Titanfall AC3 and XB1). The other 3 were for Hunger Games, ESPN, and the USMC (although you do get a Marines avatar item if you look at the ad).

Xbox One had 3 ads. Titanfall, Hunger Games, and ESPN.

I am not really bothered by any of the ads, I guess I am used to them by now.  I do have to admit I did click on the Marines ad for the avatar item even though I am way way too old to join the Marines. My son might think it is cool though.

#15 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

Quadrunner

• 5,235 posts

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014 8:58 PM

Sounds like the real lesson here is that everyone REALLY wants you to buy or rent the home release of Hunger Games: Catching Fire. :P

#16 onmode-ky OFFLINE  

onmode-ky

Dragonstomper

• 836 posts

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 PM

they are about 2/3 of the screen on the PS3 and 360 home screens.

I fired up my PS3 and it was almost all ads, similar to the 360.

Do the ads stop if you buy PS+?

I just flipped on my PS3, Xbox360, and XB1 and compared. Hit the power button and did nothing else. I do have XboxLive Gold, I do not have PS+. 

PS3 had 12 ads. 8 were for games or PS+. The other 4 were for Hunger Games, HBO, UFC, and PlayMemories.

I'm honestly not sure what you're seeing (and thus what you're upset with), regarding the volume of ads on your PS3. You say "2/3 of the screen on the PS3" and "similar to the 360," yet you also say "ad scroll"--the ad scroll on the PS3 is just some text in the upper right corner, hardly 2/3 of the screen. When you turn on your PS3, are you seeing a full screen of "What's New" panels, rather than just the little text scroll in the upper right (which is made up of the captions from the panels)? Because if you are, and those big "What's New" panels are what you want to get rid of, you don't need to subscribe to PS+ to do it. Just go to the XMB's Settings column, go to System Settings, and switch "Display [What's New]" to Off. That's it. No more screen full of ads when you turn on your machine. The XMB will default to whatever disc is in the drive, or if it's empty, to the Games section. That settings option's been around ever since the firmware update that added "What's New" in the first place.

Now, if you are in fact very annoyed at the little bar of text scrolling in the upper right corner, then I'm, well, a bit surprised it bothers you so much. It's so small, and if you really want to get rid of it, you could always just make a wallpaper that's all white right at that part of the screen. The text would blend into the wallpaper, and it would never be noticeable again.

onmode-ky

#17 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,658 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:35 PM

My Atari Lynx doesn't have this problem.

Yah I can't even read the screen, mine is so washed-out.

#18 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 4,097 posts
  • broadway1.lorexddns.net 10001

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:54 PM

Would it be possible to:

Find the source of the ads, then

Using a dd-wrt compatible router, block that source?

I don't use any game system that has online ads.  I have eliminated ads from my desktop Windows XP computer by using Firefox with Ad Block Plus.  It works very well.  I also have google analytics (and many others) blocked in my hosts file.

I enjoy an ad free experience.  I dislike advertising in general.  If I want to buy something, I will research it myself, and the more ads for a particular product I see, the less I believe the ads.

Ads aren't out there to tell you the specs or facts about an item, they are ONLY trying to SELL you the item, often deceptively.

#19 cimerians OFFLINE  

cimerians

Quadrunner

• 10,337 posts

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 AM

Would it be possible to:

Find the source of the ads, then

Using a dd-wrt compatible router, block that source?

It's still probably rpt.rad.msn.com

http://www.reddit.co..._dashboard_ads/

Edited by cimerians, Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Microsoft, Xbox Live

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users