IGNORED

Season 3 / Week 2 ~ The New HSC ~ Defender (Game 1)

Vocelli

Wow, my previous high score was around 60k, but then I watched Oyamas rollover on youtube.

I couldve gone farther, but the 500k boundary stopped me. Hmm.

Ok. Now that gamerguy99 is playing, I guess I will say that I'm 13. No joke. I forgot to tell everyone when I first began HSC so I was like whatever.

post-36358-0-26078500-1394380548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Botbird208
  • Like 4

Never heard of Wall Defender......Here's the page with links to the ROM and the manual

http://atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=592

Notice the word "colour" in Wall Defender Manual, whose spelling refers to British English. Same as "color" in American English.

@Liduario, have you ever seen the differences between British and American English (vocabulary and spelling)?

Edited by oyamafamily

@Liduario, have you ever seen the differences between British and American English (vocabulary and spelling)?

In some sense I'm in the middle of British and American English!

I started studying British English when I was 14 or so. My schoold didn't offer English as other schools, so I asked mom to buy a course made by tapes and magazines 'Curso de Idiomas Globo'. (Only the first editons with the Lovat family are good)

After doing 26 of 40 magazines, we couldn't afford more and I stopped.

Since then, it's all American English, first reading video game stories, then books, then watching films.

It was only after joining AA that I started to write 'I don't have' instead of 'I haven't got' and such things.

I may have a strange 'Brazilian-British-American' accent. :lol: But I never could practice talking English, those tape repetition aren't the same thing...

• Like 2

I suck at Defender in the arcade. I never could get used to buttons for directional control. I know I can beat these scores, so these are just preliminary

Defender - 97,250

gallery_38581_1110_352.png

Wall Defender keeps getting cheap kills on me. It seems that the hit detection on the lower giant attacking bug misses a lot.

Wall Defender - 296,994

gallery_38581_1110_1342.png

• Like 2

Defender is a mix of nostalgia and new game to explore.

I never had it but two cousins and friends had the game so I played and have good memories of it without playing too much, always the case with the games I had.

Well, I had to abandon with 237k. If difficulty doesn't ramp up, I guess I can roll easily now.

I'm going to read the manual for game options, I still want more from defender.

By the way, Vocelli talked about the 'other defender' when chose Wall defender. Does he know Stargate (aka Defender II)?

• Like 2

Defender II rocks. I've been playing that a bit lately so its fun to play Defender again now. this was one of my top favorite games in the 80's. I never got good at the arcade version since I didn't have money but I played a lot of this one!

It's good to know the tip about holding on to a humanoid to keep the landers from abducting more. however, once the difficulty gets ramped up, I am sweating it to keep going, so I find it a relief when I get blasted into space. that part (in this version) is easier for me & I can pick up an extra life or two.

999850 - 1000000 rollage

post-34560-0-33562600-1394411942_thumb.jpgpost-34560-0-49172300-1394412393_thumb.jpg

I save up all my bombs until about 250K or so, when my lives start to dwindle. then I start bombing those star-shaped things for my safety! still, I get dangerously low on lives. many times I was down to my last life on this run & had to be very careful, sweating it!

another "defender game" -- Dragon Defender! actually just a cheap clone of Defender with a Dragon instead of a ship.

and Atlantis was also called Ocean City Defender.

@Stan Jr. -- a score of 990,000 = a rollage

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 3

I know I scored much higher than this a while ago.

I played the heck out of this game the entire summer after I got it in the early 1980's and did a two-player marathon with my neighbor on Labor Day before school started again.

I was amazed that Atari included the scanner.

It was a thrill to be able to play Defender at home instead of staring at others playing it at the local 7-11.

Great times.

post-4618-0-99175300-1394471030_thumb.jpg

• Like 1