IGNORED

Atari 7800XM - 3.5 years later - Where is it?

Lendorien

I am not one to issue complaints. And seriously, I do understand that life gets in the way sometimes. That said, it's been almost 4 years since the XM went on preorder. And it's been over 5 months since there was a status update in the XM's status update page. I'm a pretty patient guy and I've gone out of my way to defend you when others have complained. Personally, The money I spent was spent 4 years ago. It's gone and spent. I'm fine with that. But I still would like to know what's going on.

Curt, could we please get a honest and transparent answer about where we are with this project? Can we expect it to be done in the near future?

Thank you.

Edited by Lendorien
  • Like 8

We know the specs - even if it winds up not being 100% compatible, it might be possible for someone to take what we know and come up with an XM that isn't vaporware.

I think it might actually be a mix of A and B, really, but I can't speak for anyone else here. A pity - something I still want to do relies on the keyboard and SIO features.

1st - I don't answer forum requests for info, my website is at the bottom of every post, you can go there anytime and send me an email or send me a pm.

2nd - I was hoping to keep things under the radar and just ship these out on the 7800 anniversary and then people could post their XMs arriving but since the natives are restless there you go, cats out of the bag.

• Like 21

1st - I don't answer forum requests for info, my website is at the bottom of every post, you can go there anytime and send me an email or send me a pm.

2nd - I was hoping to keep things under the radar and just ship these out on the 7800 anniversary and then people could post their XMs arriving but since the natives are restless there you go, cats out of the bag.

How about requests for info about you? How you hanging? In good health now?

• Like 3

Looks like Curt hasn't been on AA since Feb 24th. Might have a better chance of getting his attention on the Syzygy FB page.

edit: I take that back. He's logged in today. Hoping for an update.

edit 2: wow! am I out of it. :dunce:

• Like 1

Sounds like he gave himself another 3 months for people to forget about it.

That's just silly..

With the activity about it on this site, we couldn't forget about it if we wanted it...

And some of us really want to.. ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

Three or so months is plenty enough time for the heart to ache over. I'm sure our imaginations will outstrip our patience as they have time and time again. (I'm early in the que, right? My schillin' (tend to be an ubersupporter of projects, if too Pollyannish for some people's likes. Fair complaint.) must be good for sumptin' :P )

Thats right

....Let these indigious primitive AA natives have it!

Right on brutha. :D

Im sorry guys, but i must defend curt from you savages.

1st of all, Curt was suffering from illnesses last year.

2. Curt is just making sure that everything is 100 percent perfect before he releases this. ITS A COMPLICATED PIECE OF MACHINERY AND IM SURE HES HAD DIFFICULITY WITH THE PROJECT....PROBABLY WHY ATARI DIDNT RELEASE THIS IN 1986.

Even Atari couldnt accompolish the achievements on this project as well as the great Curt has....Give him more respect.

3. CURT IS A BUSY MAN......PERIOD!!!!!! UNDERSTAND?

BOTH OBI 1 AND YODA SPENT MANY YEARS TEACHING US THE IMPORTANCE OF PATIENCE.

LACK OF PATIENCE LEADS TO THE DARK SIDE OF THINGS.

AND IF YOU GUYS WANT TO SPEED HIM UP,JUST GIVE HIM MORE MONEY.:)

P.S, Curt, i think i deserve a discount when you release it in return for my stellar honerable defense. :)

Edited by Stun Runner 87
  • Like 2

Oh well, to be honest, I didn't pay anything upfront even if I think that the XM will be a great device.

So I am some kind of neutral I think.

Even if the communication seems to be not optimal a project like the XM is a really big deal for a (more or less) one man show.

If you consider personal health problems you may start to imagine the problems Curt may have to finish the XM.

The XM (like all other 7800 stuff that was or will be produced) will never be profitable so Curd will never make any money of it.

It is just a matter of passion to him and his only potential failure may be that he overestimate his own capacity (of time).

So please be patient even if it's a really long time you are waiting for the XM, I'am sure is worth it.

Edited by Schmutzpuppe
  • Like 7

I ordered an XM the moment I learned about it. I've had no gripes having to wait so long.

It also prompted me to get an Atari XM game system computer with keyboard because the keyboard may be compatible with the 7800 XM, and I had an 800XL since the 1980's.

I feel sorry for Curt having health problems, and also feel bad seeing GroovyBee abandon this project. Both of these things really suck.

Right now I most enjoy seeing how far old hardware can be pushed beyond what was thought possible, so anything pre-NES I am interested in (with the weird exception of Sega Genesis since I have great memories playing Sonic and Hockey).

The 7800 XM will make this 1984 system what it should have been when it finally was released in 1986, with the bonus of having 2 good sound chips for new games.

• Like 4

So then...June it is! Thanks for the update! I will look forward to receiving mine, as it will really open up the arena for 7800 programers to show what this system can really do! It's too bad though that I have already heard that plans were scrapped for an update of Kickman...

SHATMAN:

post-29022-0-92047300-1394584420_thumb.png

I would have bought that one in a second!!! :lol:

PS: Considering I already have the box art done, maybe I will have to finally sit my lazy ass down and learn how to code for the XM!!! I mean, the box art is the hardest part...right??? :rolling:

• Like 11

Box art done right is pretty hard.

That why there so many bad compaires to good.

unless you live in Japan. Then you got mostly good boxes and shit games.

BOX art is inspiration to games...especially from the past. its all you really had to make the game feel more..um real

Box art done right is pretty hard.

That why there so many bad compaires to good.

unless you live in Japan. Then you got mostly good boxes and shit games.

BOX art is inspiration to games...especially from the past. its all you really had to make the game feel more..um real

I was only joking...coding a game is something I could only dare to dream of achieving...that and actually making a box cover that doesn't involve pasting Shatner's head on someone else's body! :D

• Like 4

No worries, I know silly.

Nothing is greater than Shatner Art!

Programming..is ehhhh...not fun. Well not for me at least. Ideas are neat but all the coding is just eehh ugh.

I stopped any dreams of programming back in the late 80s on my commodore 64. After the billionth line of basic just to get a stupid ball to bounce and flashing background crazyness..I was done.

10 PRINT "*** Nonners242 SUPER AWESOME GAME ***"

20 PRINT

30 PRINT "You wake up on the bridge of the Red Dwarf."

40 PRINT "You notice that you are naked..."

50 PRINT

60 PRINT "Where do you want to go? (north, south, west)"

70 INPUT A$

80 IF A$="north" then goto 200

90 IF A$="south" then goto 300

100 IF A$="west" then goto 400

110 PRINT "Excuse me! I don't understand you! Smeghead!"

120 GOTO 50

200 PRINT "You tripped and fell over a railing, impaling yourself onto the Star bugs antenna"

210 GOTO 1000

300 PRINT "You found a toaster, and some toast. But no Jam.."

310 GOTO 1000

400 PRINT "You need a beer."

410 PRINT "You swear you just saw a humanoid cat just run by in a snazzy jacket!?!"

420 GOTO 50

1000 PRINT "It cold outside...DA DA DA..."

I'll stick with art,boxes and props..lol

• Like 1