IGNORED

Best forum to post about my MALAGAI Window case project

FND

Question, what would be the best forum to post about my project?

It’s about the Original MALAGAI PROM’S I have refitted into

Windowed Atari 2600 carts (able to view imprint on prom). Also
added LED’s with external plug in DC Power adaptor to illuminate

The PROM.

Since its not a Homebrew or programming project I was not sure
which forum would be best to get some feedback and ideas?

Question, what would be the best forum to post about my project?

It’s about the Original MALAGAI PROM’S I have refitted into

Windowed Atari 2600 carts (able to view imprint on prom). Also

added LED’s with external plug in DC Power adaptor to illuminate

The PROM.

Since its not a Homebrew or programming project I was not sure

which forum would be best to get some feedback and ideas?

This seems like the right place...Pics?

Well its not fully fnished yet as I still need to finish up the boxs, Instruction sheet and Document Packets as well as some final soldering
but here are a few pics of whats been done so far.

The hardest part of the project, besides getting 10 PROMS was finding the 10 special atari cases that use the side springs instead of the
center spring version, odds of finding one seem to be 1 in 100 (opened over 900 cases to get the 10 needed)

m1a.jpgm2a.jpgm3a.jpg

m4a.jpgm5a.jpgm6a.jpg

m7a.jpgm8a.jpgm10a.jpg

insert_fnt_ready4.jpg

insert_bk_ready.jpg

• Like 3

Well its not fully fnished yet as I still need to finish up the boxs, Instruction sheet and Document Packets as well as some final soldering

but here are a few pics of whats been done so far.

The hardest part of the project, besides getting 10 PROMS was finding the 10 special atari cases that use the side springs instead of the

center spring version, odds of finding one seem to be 1 in 100 (opened over 900 cases to get the 10 needed)

If you end up selling these, please count me in for one. They look spectacular! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

When finished there will only be 10. Number One I am keeping and the last 2 will be auctioned on ebay,

so there are going to be 7 available.

Each box will be a little different since I have decided to make each box correspond to 1 of the 10 officers,

back of box will have there rank and maybe some specifics for each. Since 2 of the PROM's have weak imprint

on them they will be the last 2 and auctioned on ebay but the other 7 will be available here when finished.

Seems I will also need to add a strap to each "Air Lock Illumination key" (Power Pack) as the weight is a little

more then I expected with the batterys installed, they sag a little on the right side when attached and held vertical.

Probably be using ceramic magnets to hold the strap in place. Thinking it will be attached to the bottom of the

battery pack and will be long enough to be pulled up the side of the cart and held in place with the a magnet

Been adjusting to each problem as they arrise while putting these together but looks like the finished product

will be a solid working item. Originaly was going to have the battery in side the case but then relized it would be a

problem when the battery went dead. Had to think outside of the box (case). The battery pack was going to be on

the side originally but it just did not look right. Once I decided to attach it to the bottom there was the problem of the

power jack covering up some of the end label so it needed to be placed as close to the edge as possible and also

miss the ridges that are inside the molded case or interfer with the dust cover rods.

Sadly I had to give up on my original idea to use two-way mirrored plexi-glass that would only allow the PROM to

be viewed when the light was on. Just could not produce enough light inside the case for this to work very well, it did

work but you would have to be in a very dark room before it was clear enough to see.

If anyone has any ideas on design or comments on whats been done so far please post them as I would very much

like to hear them.

Edited by FND

Other carts have had internal LED's powered by the Atari.

Tron homebrew had a blue glow, and D. Scott Williamson's Kickstarter Star Castle has bright white flashing LED's are two games that come to mind.

Did you look into powering them from the cartridge port?

Other carts have had internal LED's powered by the Atari.

Tron homebrew had a blue glow, and D. Scott Williamson's Kickstarter Star Castle has bright white flashing LED's are two games that come to mind.

Did you look into powering them from the cartridge port?

Yes I am aware of those games but the problem with power from the cart port is you have to have it plugged into the

game system. My intent was to illuminate the imprint on the PROM to show the game chip was an original, this seems

much better suited to being illuminated in hand rather then plugged in. Also wanted to do something a little different and

a it kinda fits into the game play by calling it an Air-Lock Illumination Key.

Thanks for the input I appreciate the chance to explain how I arrived at the power pack idea.

Edited by FND
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks amazing!!! I can't wait to add one of these to my collection. This is a true "collector's piece"! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words. I am pleased with the results myself. I have had to update

The design a few times but each time I feel its been an improvement.

I have a few ideas for the box that I feel will make a nice addition as well.

Now if I can get Vista print to finally print the insert cards correctly I will be even

happier. 1st printing was cut or printed incorrectly as there was a white line down the

right side. The replacement order I received today was printed correctly but was NOT

on the glossy stock I originaly ordered. Had to call them again for a third printing.

To there credit they have redone it twice and reshiped for free but its now been weeks

since I first orderd and still dont have a product I can use. Hoping this 3rd order will be correct.

Preliminary Box Top design.

Each box will have its own Rank associated with one of the 10 officers as

Listed on the "Endless Search" Data sheet.

1 of 10) Commander

2 of 10) Lt. Commander

3 of 10) Lieutenant (Science officer)

4 of 10) Lieutenant (Communications officer)

5 of 10) Lieutenant (Engineering officer)

6 of 10) Lieutenant (Medical officer)

7 of 10) Lieutenant (Security officer)

8 of 10) Ensign (Science)

9 of 10) Ensign (Engineering)

10 of 10) Ensign (Security)

box_top_onlyl3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Project is moving along. Finished up the Box Tops, still working on the box bottom section.

Nearly done with the Magnetic support for the DC Power illumination boxs, they are
very labor intensive since each include magnets and metal housing that needs to be
sealed in a protective rubber covering.

Still hoping to finish up by the middle of April but may run longer since the DC boxes took longer

then expected.

I Finaly got usable Data Sheets from Vistaprint, they had to print them 3 times before
getting it correct, took nearly a month with shipping times

I'll post some pictures of the boxes as soon as I finish up the bottoms.

If anyone has design ideas or comments on this projects please let me know

I welcome all input.

FND

• Like 1

I think it looks great FND! I don't know the original story line for game, but the concept is great. Personally I wish there would have been a way to pull power through the pcb to work the LEDs instead of a battery pack but it sounds as if that is an optional piece, and not needed just to enjoy the game. A few years back when these were floating around I thought I would buy a couple of the old Best protos in the clear cases and swap in these chips, then those VGWIZ carts came out that a few of the homebrews used and I thought I would pick up a couple of those... Now I believe those are out of print as well. This is definitely a chip that needs to be seen to be appreciated so a windowed cart release is a terrific idea. I'm a little surprised someone didn't attempt a release like this years ago.