IGNORED

Heretic

swapd0

This would be pretty cool on the Jaguar. I have Heretic on the Saturn, along with Quake... they both play pretty well on the Saturn.

I have the "home-brew" versions for the DC, I'd love to see Heretic on the Jag too, as well as the RPG game STRIFE, that was made with the Doom engine. I'd hoped that once people figured out the Jaguar WADS, all of these DOOM engine games would make their way to the Jag, like many did for the DC. Of course, like the DOOM II versions on the Jag, it requires a Skunkboard/flashrom to play them, too bad they couldn't be converted to CD for easy CDR burns, but I know that would take a complete re-write of the JagDoom source code for CD compatibility. I need to get an eeprom burner so I can make my own Jag carts for such releases as Doom II...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I have the "home-brew" versions for the DC, I'd love to see Heretic on the Jag too, as well as the RPG game STRIFE, that was made with the Doom engine. I'd hoped that once people figured out the Jaguar WADS, all of these DOOM engine games would make their way to the Jag, like many did for the DC. Of course, like the DOOM II versions on the Jag, it requires a Skunkboard/flashrom to play them, too bad they couldn't be converted to CD for easy CDR burns, but I know that would take a complete re-write of the JagDoom source code for CD compatibility. I need to get an eeprom burner so I can make my own Jag carts for such releases as Doom II...

Matthias did this 8 years ago, being RAM-based essentially makes it "CD compatible":

Matthias did this 8 years ago, being RAM-based essentially makes it "CD compatible":

Yeah, did it and hid it away, so most of us can only watch a video of it...so it doesn't matter if it could be put on CD, since it's not available. A total waste of time, IMHO, if no one can play it but Matthias and maybe a couple of friends. :thumbsdown: I hope he has fun playing a game he designed and knows inside and out, I couldn't have fun with my own game, since I know all the secrets already.

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah, did it and hid it away, so most of us can only watch a video of it...so it doesn't matter if it could be put on CD, since it's not available. A total waste of time, IMHO, if no one can play it but Matthias and maybe a couple of friends. :thumbsdown: I hope he has fun playing a game he designed and knows inside and out, I couldn't have fun with my own game, since I know all the secrets already.

Eek, that's one way to look at it. Matthias has never been one to dangle carrots and tease, he's always put stuff out. He likely had his reasons, whatever they might have been I doubt they were at all negative.

But yeah, I bet a few people would like to play with his tool mentioned in the comments section :0)

Eek, that's one way to look at it. Matthias has never been one to dangle carrots and tease, he's always put stuff out. He likely had his reasons, whatever they might have been I doubt they were at all negative.

But yeah, I bet a few people would like to play with his tool mentioned in the comments section :0)

Maybe I'm a bit over reactive about it all, I guess it comes from two decades of carrots being dangled in front of Jag users and then taken away. Maybe all this great stuff shouldn't be shown to the public unless the people doing it know for sure they will release it. But I also think that if someone does work, then decides to scrap it, or forget about it, they ought to release it into the public domain for others to make use of it, otherwise I see it as a total waste of time and effort. I wouldn't want to waste my time and effort, if I programmed and grew tired or left the scene or whatever, I would at least release it to PD, then it's not all wasted. Yes, just my humble opinion.

The one exception, of course, being copyright problems, but then why work on something if it's copyrighted and can never be released? That also seem foolish to me...again my humble opinion. But then that's why the Jag community is so jaded, we get all these carrots dangled and for whatever reason, they are pulled away. If developers want the Jag USER community to not be so jaded, then stop dangling carrots we can't have.

it doesn't matter if there is a legitimate reason or not, for not releasing something, if you show it, then don't release it, it IS dangling carrots and taking them away, and it only serves to make us users more jaded. And there are some of us users who might actually turn developer if some of these great tools would at least be released to the PD.

The Doom engine is a perfect example of pointless redundancy because people won't share what they've learned when they move on. I know at least three developers (current and former) that have cracked the Doom WAD issues on the Jag, then hide it away, requiring others to start from scratch all over again, and I also know of some who are doing just that, starting from scratch all over again!

The ONE exception was the guys who released the JagDoom II roms, and I'm exceedingly grateful to them for doing so.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

For some reason or another, pretty much skipped Hexen and Heretic BITD. Today though, would like to play something like that on the Jag. That demo looked pretty sweet! Be fine with me if it slows down a little with enemies, items and AI. looks like it plays a little fast right now. ;)

I wouldn't think it would slow down any more than the original JagDoom, and that's very playable, even if it occasionally slows. I've played the JagDoom II hack, and it has a few huge levels with lots of enemies and slows down at points far more than the original JagDoom, yet it's still very fun and playable, IMHO.

Edited by Gunstar

Might have to try some of that Doom2, since I love Doom more than I should...I still remember playing it for the first time on my Packard Bell at the tender age of 7. Yay Ultimate Doom! I digress, though. I do hope we something from these teasings. Please bestow them unto us, all powerful Jag gods! We are but your humble acolytes...

Maybe I'm a bit over reactive about it all, I guess it comes from two decades of carrots being dangled in front of Jag users and then taken away. Maybe all this great stuff shouldn't be shown to the public unless the people doing it know for sure they will release it. But I also think that if someone does work, then decides to scrap it, or forget about it, they ought to release it into the public domain for others to make use of it, otherwise I see it as a total waste of time and effort. I wouldn't want to waste my time and effort, if I programmed and grew tired or left the scene or whatever, I would at least release it to PD, then it's not all wasted. Yes, just my humble opinion.

Can totally understand what you're saying there and it's the same kind of sentiments regarding Soul Star and I get that. I feel the same when reading old posts people made dropping heavy hints or just outright bragging about stuff they had and wouldn't share. Same goes for the policy of hiding away "goodies" to only a higher tier paid-for-or-otherwise membership or having it on paid-for CD extremist packs at js2, not something I ever understood, especially then getting upset when people "leaked" them as that just seemed like double standards. But I just stopped caring about all that a while back and especially now it's all come to an end anyway, I'm looking forward to simply helping gather up as much stuff as possible and get it out to everyone and anyone. It's interesting, the more you talk to people about this, the more they are willing to share what they have and if we all do what we can in that regard everyone will benefit.

• Like 3

Can totally understand what you're saying there and it's the same kind of sentiments regarding Soul Star and I get that. I feel the same when reading old posts people made dropping heavy hints or just outright bragging about stuff they had and wouldn't share. Same goes for the policy of hiding away "goodies" to only a higher tier paid-for-or-otherwise membership or having it on paid-for CD extremist packs at js2, not something I ever understood, especially then getting upset when people "leaked" them as that just seemed like double standards. But I just stopped caring about all that a while back and especially now it's all come to an end anyway, I'm looking forward to simply helping gather up as much stuff as possible and get it out to everyone and anyone. It's interesting, the more you talk to people about this, the more they are willing to share what they have and if we all do what we can in that regard everyone will benefit.

I whole-heartedly agree. Software for antiquated systems should be treated as an art form and should be readily available for all generations to use. It's very sad to hear stories such as the source code for Panzer Dragoon Saga being lost forever due to people being greedy.

Edited by NinSEGA

Maybe I'd be less jaded over it all if I was good at kissing *ss and being buddy-buddy with all the developers so I'd be selected as a play tester or just weasel copies of their work out of them, so I could at least enjoy it all. But I'm to much of a straight shooter and don't believe in brown-nosing to get what I desire. :grin:

Maybe I'd be less jaded over it all if I was good at kissing *ss and being buddy-buddy with all the developers so I'd be selected as a play tester or just weasel copies of their work out of them, so I could at least enjoy it all. But I'm to much of a straight shooter and don't believe in brown-nosing to get what I desire. :grin:

Im pretty sure I'd do terrible things to get a copy of Heretic/Hexen on Jag...>.>

• Like 1

If someone's done something in their spare time it seems a bit rude to say they should be obligated to give it away. There can be any number of perfectly good reasons for why someone chooses to shelve a product and not release it - if something is not production quality code it could be incredibly damaging to that person to release it.

• Like 5

How easy would it be to port an MS-DOS game to the Jaguar without having the game's source code?

The game I'd like to see ported is Bot Soccer, which was a pack-in with SEGA PC games back in the day. Original publisher was Expert Software who became a subsidiary of Activision. The developer was some German company I think. It was actually a decent game.

As I didn't read all the previous posts, sorry if I am repeting something some already said but I see nothing in this vid proving Heretic runs on a Jaguar or even on a Jag emulator.

It could be one of the numerous versions on console or computer: it looks like the Heretic I played years ago on iMac G3 for example.

I understand that, using the same 3d engine than Doom, it could be possible but what proves this vid is not just a fake?

Moreover, it seems to smell "KIDza" over this news so i am even more sceptical.

Surprisingly, likes/dislikes have been disactivated on its page on Youtube: it probably shows the great confidence the guy who posted it have in this vid...

Edited by Felyx
  • Like 2

As I didn't read all the previous posts, sorry if I am repeting something some already said but I see nothing in this vid proving Heretic runs on a Jaguar or even on a Jag emulator.

It could be one of the numerous versions on console or computer: it looks like the Heretic I played years ago on iMac G3 for example.

I understand that, using the same 3d engine than Doom, it could be possible but what proves this vid is not just a fake?

Surprisingly, likes/dislikes have been disactivated on its page on Youtube: it probably shows the great confidence the guy who posted it have in this vid...

I agree, there is no proof of anything and as usual we will just have to wait and see, and not hold our breath.

It's not fake, rush has been talking about this over at the GLOBAL GAMING HUB for a year or more and it's not like there's anything there that seems impossible, is there? The "61/60" in the top corner shows it is running in Project Tempest. As for PT itself, anyone who has used it for testing their game builds will know it is more than just forgiving in terms of performance, far more so than VJ for example. Doom caps fps at 15 (IIRC), if that was removed it's entirely possible it runs sparsely populated levels at a speedy rate, but a PT video isn't the way to demonstrate anything more than that something exists, no more than that.

All Kizzy's videos have likes/dislikes disabled, he's not exactly the most popular figure in retrogaming circles but doesn't like to be reminded of that, hence not wanting much in the way of feedback on yt.. he's got that special way of painting himself into corners and getting caught with his trousers down due to his puerile antics.

• Like 3

The "61/60" in the top corner shows it is running in Project Tempest. As for PT itself, anyone who has used it for testing their game builds will know it is more than just forgiving in terms of performance, far more so than VJ for example.

True! I began testing my jag homebrew game Moles in PT and the frame rate was stupidly fast. It was much faster than on VJ or the real hardware but not as fast as Jagulator :lol:. So.... If you want to make your game's frame rate look considerably better than it really is, video it on PT or Jagulator (assuming it works on either - Moles only works on VJ and the real deal now).

• Like 2