IGNORED

AtariAge Welcomes AtariSoft Programmer Matt Householder

thevnaguy

2) My first game was Krull for coin-op at Gottlieb in 1983.

I remember when my local swimming pool got that (they had a small arcade area in the basement). It was only there for a few weeks, but I loved playing it although it was a bit hard for me (I was only 6 at the time). I've never seen a Krull arcade machine since.

-My first game was Krull for coin-op at Gottlieb in 1983.

-I have 2 coin-ops: Computer Space (in red) and Robotron: 2084, my favorite game of all time.

Were you inspired by Robotron when you decided to make a 2 joystick game?

They have a Krull at Funspot, I'll be plying it for sure during the next tournament.

http://www.aurcade.com/games/view.aspx?id=120

Matt,

Welcome to the Colecovision home brew development scene and this community. It is nice to know one of the people behind some of the games that I enjoyed throughout the years, especially the Diablo series - burned a lot of screen time on those games for sure :)

I am a programmer for the original Spectravideo and the MSX machines that followed, currently working on a few Colecovision projects based on my original titles.

I have some modern tools for SVI/MSX/Coleco development that I will be releasing to the community shortly. Although I do say I like the sound of your tile editor tool you mentioned.

Regards

Tony

Cool, Tony. Better tools will be useful.

The debuggers I've found for CV (blueMSX at least) don't have memory editors!

I don't have the source code to Moon Patrol -- but plenty of notes (since I designed/coded by hand on paper first, then worked on the ZAX emulator to finalize/debug).

I could reverse-engineer (with the help of my notes) the ROM image into real source code with a dis-assembler.

Some of my code could be useful in building new games/tools or re-building my tile editor.

• Like 4

Matt there is another emulator which I use for debugging too, I think its more useful in some way than bluemsx, but I use both :)

The other one is called: MEKA http://www.smspower.org/meka/download.shtml

It have Memory Editor (can even dump to files). Quite useful some times. Also have VRAM editor.

Bluemsx have a debugger with Memory display too, but its easier with MEKA. Cause BlueMSX you need to break (pause) the emulator for it to update the Memory display (editor).

I am sure a usable source code can be created pretty quick, I have a little experience doing this, since I already did it with many Memotech MTX Games and also a few MSX games, also did it with Spectron for ColecoVision (ported it to Memotech MTX). So if a useful Source code could be created I would like to port the game to Memotech MTX.

• Like 2

I don't have the source code to Moon Patrol -- but plenty of notes (since I designed/coded by hand on paper first, then worked on the ZAX emulator to finalize/debug).

I could reverse-engineer (with the help of my notes) the ROM image into real source code with a dis-assembler.

Some of my code could be useful in building new games/tools or re-building my tile editor.

Memory debugger would be great as I have had some issues with my current game, where I have reworked parts of it so it uses less Ram and will work in a standard Colecovision.

I haven't started a tile editor yet, the sprite editor is pretty much done, and I am part of the way through the compression utility.

A quick view at the code (matt patrol) shows it dont seems to use any of the ColecoVision build-in bios calls, but uses RST to save a few bytes jumping to own routines, like set up the VDP address etc.

It also uses indexed jumps. JP (HL)

It uses memory $7C00->

I've to say that certainly I'm impressed by your work in Moon Patrol for Colecovision, when I was able to test it for the first time I was surprised by all the details and smoothness of graphics.

Later when I bought my Colecovision I would know that the game never came out. It's unfortunate as the quality was amazing.

Looking forward to your developments :) and welcome aboard!

A quick view at the code (matt patrol) shows it dont seems to use any of the ColecoVision build-in bios calls, but uses RST to save a few bytes jumping to own routines, like set up the VDP address etc.

It uses memory $7C00->

It seems like logical to not use the Colecovision BIOS routines because these aren't so efficient. Myself in my games I avoid altogether the BIOS routines.

The indirect jumps JP (HL) are the way to go for complex games with list of objects, where each object is a different type. For example, in Mecha-8 I've this kind of routine where a type byte selects the right routine (spaceship, dragon, robot, plane, bullet, explosion, boss and up to 36 different objects)

Also in Colecovision the 1K RAM is repeated in the zone $6000-$7fff, so you can use $7c00-$7fff if you like. Though for my own games I prefer $7000, just a matter of taste.

It uses memory $7C00->

Yep -- the CV bios was avoided by Atarisoft programmers.

It was slower than using your own code and you had to figure it out. Much easier/quicker to just write your own routines.

Plus Atari was not paying Coleco a license fee. They had paid another company to reverse-engineer the hardware -- which was "off the shelf".

So, not using Coleco's bios was insurance that Atari could not be successfully sued by them.

• Like 4

Yep -- the CV bios was avoided by Atarisoft programmers.

It was slower than using your own code and you had to figure it out. Much easier/quicker to just write your own routines.

Plus Atari was not paying Coleco a license fee. They had paid another company to reverse-engineer the hardware -- which was "off the shelf".

So, not using Coleco's bios was insurance that Atari could not be successfully sued by them.

In Spectron Spectravideo didn use the cv bios at all, sometimes its annoying to use the bios cause it can overwrite your memory, I think the original Stackpointer is a bit lower than the memorytop, and between the stackpointer and the memorytop, this memory is udes by some colecovision bios routines.

So you mean you had to pay Coleco if you used the bios calls in your software?

I've to say that certainly I'm impressed by your work in Moon Patrol for Colecovision, when I was able to test it for the first time I was surprised by all the details and smoothness of graphics.

Later when I bought my Colecovision I would know that the game never came out. It's unfortunate as the quality was amazing.

Looking forward to your developments :) and welcome aboard!

It seems like logical to not use the Colecovision BIOS routines because these aren't so efficient. Myself in my games I avoid altogether the BIOS routines.

The indirect jumps JP (HL) are the way to go for complex games with list of objects, where each object is a different type. For example, in Mecha-8 I've this kind of routine where a type byte selects the right routine (spaceship, dragon, robot, plane, bullet, explosion, boss and up to 36 different objects)

Also in Colecovision the 1K RAM is repeated in the zone $6000-$7fff, so you can use $7c00-$7fff if you like. Though for my own games I prefer $7000, just a matter of taste.

I prefer to use $6000, not that it matters, but MEKA emulator memory editor have org 6000, thats why ;) make it more simple....

The ROM file I have is called Moon Patrol, but said Matt Patrol on title screen, dont know if it have been modified, but the game is very close to the arcade, music and sound is good, graphics also very close.

Hi Matt;

Welcome to AA. It's great to hear your stories, as a programmer for the Colecovision. I have not read many other interviews with other Colecovision programmers from this era.

My question for you is, was Atari a good company to work for? Did they share the wealth, and pay well back in those days? Or, did you find them to be low paying, and condescending toward the programmers?

Also, in your Blizzard days, were you involved in the "Lost Viking" series? That was one of my all time favorites, back in the day. You really had to exercise the old brain back then to solve some of those puzzles.

Thanks, Jim

Edited by Bartsfam

In Spectron Spectravideo didn use the cv bios at all, sometimes its annoying to use the bios cause it can overwrite your memory, I think the original Stackpointer is a bit lower than the memorytop, and between the stackpointer and the memorytop, this memory is udes by some colecovision bios routines.

So you mean you had to pay Coleco if you used the bios calls in your software?

Atari was not licensed by Coleco as a publisher/developer on ColecoVision.

If Coleco had decided to sue Atari for developing/publishing without a license, Atari was more likely to win if the Atarisoft games did not use Coleco bios calls.

Yeah -- why trust some buggy bios anyway...

There actually would be zero chance that someone bought a Matt Patrol cartridge at a Sears store. Quite possibly this guy is confusing the store as I can see him possibly striking gold and finding it at a store that bought and sold used systems... at that time it would have been more of a mom and pop video or computer store.

There actually would be zero chance that someone bought a Matt Patrol cartridge at a Sears store. Quite possibly this guy is confusing the store as I can see him possibly striking gold and finding it at a store that bought and sold used systems... at that time it would have been more of a mom and pop video or computer store.

Nobody but me (the author) had a copy of "SELMA presents Matt Patrol" until 1996, when XXXXX, a collector/dealer of videogame cartridges, talked me into selling him a copy.

A few years later the ROM image was on the intertubes...

Nobody but me (the author) had a copy of "SELMA presents Matt Patrol" until 1996, when XXXXX, a collector/dealer of videogame cartridges, talked me into selling him a copy.

Unfortunately things like this happen all the time, but I really do have to admit to being glad the rom did become available otherwise we might never have been able to enjoy it. The icing on the cake is that you have joined us here on AtariAge so that we can all share our appreciation of your efforts in making this game for our favorite system and one day in the future play another CV creation of your's.

• Like 2

Unfortunately things like this happen all the time, but I really do have to admit to being glad the rom did become available otherwise we might never have been able to enjoy it. The icing on the cake is that you have joined us here on AtariAge so that we can all share our appreciation of your efforts in making this game for our favorite system and one day in the future play another CV creation of your's.

Including possibly a special original programmer release version? Just sayin. Get on that J-F. :)

• Like 1

Interesting as I do remember someone having the game in the early 1980's because we were thinking it was called "Matt Patrol" to avoid liscensing costs for "Moon Patrol". Not sure how he got it, but I know he had it. He might still have it but I have not seen him for over 20 years.