IGNORED

Season 3 / Week 3 ~ The NEW HSC ~ Vanguard (Game 1)

Vocelli

I really wanted 300K, but my stupid dog wanted in and I lost concentration. The great thing about Vanguard is that the difficulty tops out after your second pass through tunnel 2, so after that it is just a matter of avoiding simple mistakes. For me that happens more on the horizontal levels than anywhere else, mainly because more things are shooting at you!

post-409-0-49489200-1395028731_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

same here.

also, 1 out of every 2 times approaching the boss, those "arrow" things are shooting at you. those are hard for me.

post-34560-0-08891600-1395044030_thumb.jpg

got more than 100K on my last life :)

tip for the "arrow" things: shoot as many as you can vertically, shooting head-on. that makes the ones passing you and shooting at you farther away, so it's easier to dodge their shots

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 4

I'm glad the designers of this game had the foresight to make the score readable, unlike Defender, so if 30 years later somebody comes up with an Internet, so that there can be an Atari High Score Club, players can take a picture of their score and the score can be read without squinting. That's the kind of forward thinking we needed in the '80s. :-D

post-26187-0-54622700-1395061474_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

also, 1 out of every 2 times approaching the boss, those "arrow" things are shooting at you. those are hard for me.

tip for the "arrow" things: shoot as many as you can vertically, shooting head-on. that makes the ones passing you and shooting at you farther away, so it's easier to dodge their shots

See, I do the opposite. On Tunnel 2 when they shoot, I stay low on the screen and to the right. They only shoot left, so the farther right you can stay the less chance you have of being in the line of fire. I stay low because if I stay toward the middle, I almost always collide with debris from one I have shot vertically.

Based on my experience last night, it will take about 3 hours to roll this one.

• Like 1

New score, and a very tiny improvement: 44,990. Again, I died at the same spot. See attached picture. Just this time I had two more lives and thus had game over three corners later than in my last game. At the moment, I have no idea how one can fly through there without crashing automatically. It's scrolling way too fast.

post-34656-0-47987800-1395074827_thumb.png

The second the level starts, veer hard right. You will just exactly hit the E tank. From there stay right and take out the next two sections of bases (ignore the shooting X). As you are about to lose your invincibility, get to the top of the screen so you clear the indestructible block, then pull back hard and get as far to the bottom of the screen as you can. Stay right in the tiny gap between the rocks on the right and the oncoming rocks on the left and shoot upward through the gap to destroy the X thing that shoots at you, then veer right just enough to navigate the channel. Accelerate to dodge the indestructible block, then back off again and repeat. The level should be over after two passes through the channel after you've exhausted the E power.

I'll do it with pictures later when I get home.

Stan :spidey:

• Like 3

an observation... StanJr's tips are excellent! I play that part karo is talking about differently, but I see that way works too. thanks, SJr, for that about the arrows. I was keeping low, but didn't notice they only shoot left, staying to the right that'll be a big help!

karo -- before I got past that wall, my problem was just that I wasn't flying fast enough. remember you're flying faster when not shooting, so if you playing with autofire, you will need to remember to press the button to stop shooting & go fast. that part eventually made me stop playing Vanguard as a youngster! I thought the game just didn't you past that. I actually thought the makers of the game hadn't played it that far!

here's how I do it: I play with the diff. switches on A/A - auto firing forward & joystick in any direction fires. so when I get to that doozy of a wall, I immediately hold down the button so I'm going fast, line up with the gap to shoot the X-guardian through it by letting go of the button for a sec, then go around & forward through the smashing door, etc. after the first pass-through of that stuff it is easier to get to the E tank & I use the E-tanks from there on as StanJr. described. It's just the very beginning that I play different. I like shooting that thing. :P

no one has mentioned going to the left - there's a different scenario over there...

Here you go. Don't even worry about shooting bases until you get good at navigating the channels. After the E tank runs out, just concentrate on surviving the pass. Once you get good, start taking out extra bases as you go. I only get about 80% of the bases per pass through, so don't feel the need to be perfect.

(For some reason it loads the pictures in the wrong order, so look at the third picture first, then the first picture, then the middle for proper order.)

:spidey:

post-409-0-52391500-1395103009_thumb.png

post-409-0-92274000-1395103014_thumb.png

post-409-0-84843900-1395103019_thumb.png

Edited by StanJr
  • Like 2

Wow, LOVE this game. Waaaaay back when this was a big quarter eater for me. Great game for SNK who went on to make many other great games and the Neo-Geo.

Never owned this title for 2600, so not doing well on the high score front. Having some fun, but barely cracking 10k! Thanks for sharing some tips. Any more would be great, and may improve my game enough to get a score up that I'm not ashamed of!

• Like 1