IGNORED

TI Disks

airernie

Over the years I have transfered 10,000+ disks from the 99/4A to the PC in PC99 and TI-99_PC format.

Some of the disks have been cataloged, some have not, some are problem free, some are not, some have descriptive disk/file names, some don't, some are duplicates, some aren't, etc. In other words all are "as is".

I have uploaded the first batch to pergrem.com/tidisks and will upload others during the coming months. Feel free to download what you wish. Use them, share them with others, upload them to other sites, etc., but DO NOT sell them.

BTW, the first download you should make is the INDEX file, which contains a listing of the files on each disk. This might help you determine if a particular disk interests you.

Above all, I hope you enjoy them.

NOTE: You may get a 404 Page Error when you attempt to download some of the disks. While things such as parenthesis work great for Windows disk names, they don't so much on the Internet.

If you run into a problem, just be patient and and check back later. I'm hoping to have all of the links fixed within the next week.

Ernie

Edited by airernie
  • Like 2

Thanks, Ernie! Having downloaded the ones you put up yesterday, I second the request to do this in some form of zip archive, or at least to add an archive of each group as part of the upload.

It is awesome in any event, and I thank you for the work that went into it!

Thanks, Ernie! Having downloaded the ones you put up yesterday, I second the request to do this in some form of zip archive, or at least to add an archive of each group as part of the upload.

It is awesome in any event, and I thank you for the work that went into it!

Thanks Jim,

I doubt that I'll go the archive route. I like the idea of users being able to select individual disks if they wish. Also, the disks can be batch downloaded via web scraping softrware if the user doesn't want to go the disk at a time route.

I also admit to wanting to reduce the workload on my end by simply uploading the directories from my drive, creating the HTML page and be done with it.

In the process I forgot the old Texas saying; "Dance with the one that brung ya'" and problems crept in with Windows filenames on a Linux server.

Hopefully, that will be resolved once GoDaddy migrates me from a Linux server to a Windows server.

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Ernie

I have problems downloading certain files, there are about 30 that cant be downloaded (404 errors) even using save link as, or batvh downloading. Now I even get a 404 on your site self.

Yep.. Sorry about that..

It's all part of the Windows vs Linus filename issue. Not being a Linux guy I didn't anticipate the degree of issues that I would run into. Give it a day, or so for the Linux to Windows conversion to complete and try again.

Ernie

Proving once again that no good deed goes unpunished;

Migration from Linux to Windows complete. Filenames no longer an issue, but server won't allow for download of files with .DSK suffix

Required a batch coversion of .DSK to .ZIP format, which server will recognize. Added benefit of smaller download file size.

Got called into work early, so limited testing. Will do more tomorrow.

Also, a change to front page, although incomplete. In theory, this should make it easier on users when I add new folders. In theory. :)

Ernie

I found a couple of files under GRAPHICS and GRAPH01 that have a malformed URL for the download link.

A tip for those that would like to download those files:

Replace the # character with %23 and then paste that into the address bar of your browser.

Here's a list of corrected links for everyone's convenience (I hope you're ok with me posting these Ernie).

GRAPH01

I want to thank Ernie, once again, for taking the time to make this stuff available to us!!!

I think once Ernie has been able to put all of his files online. I'll download them all and be more than happy to put these up on WHTECH via Greg (or anyone who can). And then, the batch archive or full zip issue won't be a problem. FTP from WHTECH will solve that inherently. Users can either download one at a time, or simply select all and download the batch (just like it is today).

As far as I'm concerned, Ernie has done enough of the work to ask him to do anymore. I'll gladly pickup and run with the ball where ever I can.

Cheers!

-Dano

Cory,

Thanks for the corrections. I ran into that issue on some earlier ones and corrected it in the HTML page, but forgot to check the graphics.

A thought that I've been having is whether it makes more sense to do these as a FTP rather than HTML. It may be a lot easier with apps like WinSCP and Filezilla to downlaod the files.

As for "when" all of the files will be posted that's going to take some time. I'm trying to avoid a massive dump and opting instead for a measured release so that users might acttually take some time bewtween download cycles to browse some of the files rather than just download allow them to become "shelfware".

Ernie

Ernie, on the topic of measured releases.

I foresee having a problem discerning what will be newly posted and what was previously posted.

In other words, how will I know which files are of the new batch and which are the old? Or will I?

That may make it difficult for us "hoarders" to grab everything without missing anything. ;-)

I still think the way you have it via HTML works just fine, especially for your idea of having people actually look at what they're downloading. Plus when things are in a batch or zip, it's difficult to search whats inside it (without DLing and unzipping). Renders Google search useless in those types of situations.

I really do plan on working with you and Greg to get it all put up on WHTECH at some point, with your discretion. I'm just here to motivate and help!

Cheers!

-Dano

Ernie, on the topic of measured releases.

I foresee having a problem discerning what will be newly posted and what was previously posted.

In other words, how will I know which files are of the new batch and which are the old? Or will I?

That may make it difficult for us "hoarders" to grab everything without missing anything. ;-)

Hi Dan,

The http method includes an upload date column so that users can monitor what is and isn't new.

With the book site I had not only a "Recent Addtions" section, but clicking on the "Last Updated" date brought up a change-log.txt file.

I would implement something similar if I moved to a FTP model.

Either HTTP or FTP works for me although the FTP model allows for maintaining my original file structure, which might make organizing the uploaded product for WHTech easier.

In any event I'm pretty committed to the measured apporach, so it might make more sense to wait until everything is posted to copy it to WHT.

Ernie

The http method includes an upload date column so that users can monitor what is and isn't new.

With the book site I had not only a "Recent Addtions" section, but clicking on the "Last Updated" date brought up a change-log.txt file.

I would implement something similar if I moved to a FTP model.

Either HTTP or FTP works for me although the FTP model allows for maintaining my original file structure, which might make organizing the uploaded product for WHTech easier.

In any event I'm pretty committed to the measured apporach, so it might make more sense to wait until everything is posted to copy it to WHT.

Ernie

Sounds great Ernie! If there's anything that I can do to help with your process(es), let me know.

Cheers!

-Dano

I found a couple of files under GRAPHICS and GRAPH01 that have a malformed URL for the download link.

A tip for those that would like to download those files:

Replace the # character with %23 and then paste that into the address bar of your browser.

Here's a list of corrected links for everyone's convenience (I hope you're ok with me posting these Ernie).

I have corrected the links for the problem files that Cory found, so all should be well (hopefully!). I do apologize for the mess.

A couple of things since my last post. I looked into making the directory on my site an FTP instead. Unfortunately, GoDaddy requires it to be password protected and that would make things even worse.

I considered working with Don to have them uploaded to WHT, but that brings back the whole Linux vs Windows filenaming convention which is why I had GoDaddy convert my current server from Linux to Windows,

The one change I do need to make is to figure out how to include the path in the current and future ZIP files, using my 7zip batch file, because I can't keeping putting it on the user to manage locations.

Ernie

The one change I do need to make is to figure out how to include the path in the current and future ZIP files, using my 7zip batch file, because I can't keeping putting it on the user to manage locations.

Ernie

I personally use WinRAR for making archives. I swear by that program. It just rocks and I bought it years and years ago. It supports all major and most minor formats. Tons of options for just about any thing you could possibly want an archiver to do.

Most importantly, in this situation, is the ability to include paths. You can even choose relative path or full path.

Cheers!

-D

Ernie

The following files in VENDOR folder gives me 404 errors:

ASGARD/EZKEYS+.ZIP

Thanks for the catch.

Lesson for today; just because it works on your local browser doesn't mean that it will work in the Internt browser. The "#" sign was due to my error in correcting the wrong thing. As for the "+" sign, I thought that I could deal with it by using %2B, but still got an error. The "+" sign in the filename has been replaced by a lowercase "p" although the list of files still shows it at "+".

Can't say that I like it, but it now works.. or at least until I upload the next batch. :-)

Speaking of TI Disks, I went to Staples today to get some Avery Sheet Labels to class up my TI disks. The girl in the store had no idea what a 3.5" disk was! And no, they no longer carry those kind of labels, I had to go to eBay to purchase them. Wow, spendy little buggers!

It's all Dano's fault. If I had not seen those labels with the system he's selling I would have been satisfied with what I had. But nooooo!