IGNORED

Simple Sound Effect Help Needed (TurboBasic XL)

Hello Everyone!

The 10 line BASIC game contest has piqued my interest in playing around with some simple game ideas I have had rattling around my mind for 30 years. I have no machine language or assembly language skills to speak of, though I plan on learning assembly finally after finding my Assembler Editor cartridge! I am piddling on a truck racing idea in Turbo Basic, and as bad as my graphics skills and coding abilities are, my music abilities are worse :( Below is a very rough alpha of what I hope to be a title screen. This will be kind of like a monster truck tire leaving a black mark on the screen. My hopes were to have an engine/burnout sound that increased in intensity as the tire goes from the left side of the screen to the right. While messing with some sounds, such as below, it sounds more like a rocket taking off. Any help in making it sound sound more hot rod/burnout/higher rpm-ish will be greatly appreciated! Also, can someone advise on how to show code snippets? And, if it isn't too much trouble, can you guys point me in the direction (if there is one) of programming the VBXE in Altirra using TBXL?

Thank you all so much! I appreciate the effort of the Atari Age community!

10 poke 764,255:X=6

20 GR.31

30 WHILE X<150

40 X=X+6

50 COLOR 3

60 CIRCLE X,96,10,12

70 COLOR 0

80 CIRCLE X-4,96,10

90 SD=160-(X/2)

100 SOUND 0,SD,4,10

110 WEND

120 DSOUND

130 COLOR 2

140 TEXT 27,140,"PRESS ANY KEY"

150 IF PEEK(764)<>255 THEN POKE 764,255:END

160 GOTO 150

P.S.: This isn't the code as it is. Just what I have scribbled on some notebook paper. Please do not laugh too hard.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/154854-new-game-revamprelease-moon-shuttle-vbxe-edition/?do=findComment&comment=1901509

I did a makeover of an old game of mine for VBXE, I think that should be the latest version - maybe download the one in the first post as well to be sure.

It was my first effort on VBXE, normal Atari Basic. I can't remember if it bothers to check if a D6 or D7 install is there or in fact if it even bothers to see if a VBXE exists.

Sound effects - in some ways Basic can be more versatile than assembler for simple effects. Normally an assembler program will only update sound each 50/60 times per second, Basic it happens at whatever speed is available which can at times be nearer 200.

Using 2 or more voices will often give better sound effects but the weakness of Basic there is that there'll be a lag between setting the 2 sounds which mightn't be desirable.

Thank you, Rybags! I will download them for sure and go through your code and learn some things.

I have toyed with adding another sound channel using plain Atari Basic's SOUND 1,x,x,x - as well as TBXL's DSOUND. A slight delay will be fine as the title screen will be static after the tire burnout mentioned above. The "tire" will be made of 3 pm on the title screen, on top of the leading circle command.

My coding capabilities are wayyyy behind yours. Do you see a non-m/l method of increasing the fluidity of the circles making the black marks from the tire spinning? I have not done any horizontal scrolling in nearly 30 years....suppose redefined chars and horizontal scrolling (HSRL?? can't remember) would be nearly an order of magnitude quicker in TBXL versus grinding out circles in GR. 15.