IGNORED

The official Knightmare thread

opcode

Back on topic, will Knightmare not be designed for the standard MegaCart? There's no saving on the cartridge with the original MegaCart, so you mean that high score, progress and warp doors are preserved as long as the console is not turned off or reset, right?

I don't want people to have false expectations. ;)

Good question. I am interested in that clarification as well.

Now it is a MegaCart game. When I first posted I was planning to release the game myself. So no saving of any kind....

But easy mode is still there...

If there are no warp doors, will there be "continues", meaning that you start the next game in the level where you lost your last life in the previous game?

I think I would actually prefer warp doors, which are unlocked after you beat a level, and which can be used by the player until he turns off or resets the console. That concept seems more original to me. :)

• Like 1

I think I would actually prefer warp doors, which are unlocked after you beat a level, and which can be used by the player until he turns off or resets the console. That concept seems more original to me. :)

That is exactly how it works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please contact Pixelboy, as he will be the publisher.

I do not take actual reservations for upcoming releases. If you want to be notified of future Team Pixelboy releases on their release day, just send me an e-mail and I will add you to my customer records. From there, you can rest assured that you will receive a release notification for Knightmare and all other new games.

Might we have another amazing Xmas 2014!

I do not take actual reservations for upcoming releases. If you want to be notified of future Team Pixelboy releases on their release day, just send me an e-mail and I will add you to my customer records. From there, you can rest assured that you will receive a release notification for Knightmare and all other new games.

• 4 months later...

Blast from the past. Knightmare (Majoudensetsu in Japan) was first publicly unveiled in the May 1986 issue of MSX Magazine. It didn't change much until it got eventually released a couple of months later. However check the nice title screen (I apologize for the blur image, but that was the best I could do without breaking the [very expensive] magazine). We will try to reproduce part of that logo for the CV release.

As a bonus, the same issue also had the first public screenshots of Zanac, from a prototype back when the game was still called Le Colonium . And it looked almost totally different from the game that got eventually released two months later. However the ad for the game already called it Zanac. That was months before the Famicom version (which came out December 1986)

post-1432-0-63964600-1409095148_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-10143400-1409095159_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Never trust an English manual of a Japanese game. In Knightmare, the English manual made Aphrodite a goddess. She is actually a princess. And Hudnos is completely omitted from the translation, though he is a key character, especially in the sequel (Maze of Galious), making the story harder to follow...

In Zanac, not just the NES manual is as bad as it could possibly be, but it also totally omitted the fact that Famicom/NES Zanac is in fact Zanac 2. MSX1 Zanac is Zanac 1. That is clearly stated in both Famicom and MSX2 manuals. The Zanac 1 ship is the AFX-5810, while in Zanac 2 it is the AFX-6502. Also, the "system" you fight against as mentioned in the NES translation, is in fact the "mechanized defense system"...

Fun reading...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Anyone experiencing game reset/freezing in this game. It is very unpredictable and unavoidable. I made to the wizard/blob wave in Stage 5 today and the game froze on me. Other times it would freeze and then reset the whole game. It happened a few times in stage 3. Rarely happened in stage 1 after I got about 5 game overs.

I put about maybe 7-8 hours so far in this game and it is one of my top favorite shump game. The Colecovision is unmodded with SGM attached to it. Other SGM required games, I had no problems. Using the Colecovision modded Genesis controller with the system.

Anyone experiencing game reset/freezing in this game. It is very unpredictable and unavoidable. I made to the wizard/blob wave in Stage 5 today and the game froze on me. Other times it would freeze and then reset the whole game. It happened a few times in stage 3. Rarely happened in stage 1 after I got about 5 game overs.

That's terrible news... :( I thought this "freeze" bug had been fixed. It's the kind of bug that's extremely hard to reproduce on demand.

I put about maybe 7-8 hours so far in this game and it is one of my top favorite shump game. The Colecovision is unmodded with SGM attached to it. Other SGM required games, I had no problems. Using the Colecovision modded Genesis controller with the system.

in Knightmare?

I play in easy mode. Once you get several speed power up(dark blue ? mark) and use the fire arrow lvl 2 weapon, the game get much much easier. There's one hidden 1up near the hidden red crown(2nd red crown in the level). There's a 4 block gap on the right side between the pillars, shoot to reveal the tile. Hit the tile 20 times to get a golden crown. The fire arrow kills the 1st level boss in about 5 hits.

There's no 1up tiles in stage 2 as I haven't found one yet, use this stage to gain points to hit 100,000 points. Once you game over on this stage, then the 2 hidden warp tiles will unrevealable. Shouldn't be too hard to fine. Uses the 3 fireballs power up to help find them.

Once you find the warp tile to the 3rd level, take the warp and go to stage 3. There's 2 1ups in stage 3. First one on the right side, once after a bridge and the canyon start coming from the right side is where the tiles is at. The 2nd one is on the left side of the dual river hidden tile bridge section. Once you find this 1up, then you can retry finding the bridge over and over again. Also, at this point, your score should be over 100,000 granting you 1 extra life.

4th level if I recall, also have 2 1up. It also have the hidden 1up tiles near one river with hidden bridge tile. The other one, you'll have to find it on the right side in a gap.

5th level have 1up tiles on the right side. Then half way get more busier with enemies.

I can't really know why the game crash, maybe it is running out of cycles on a frame. Or the CPU stack is overflowing. It seems that program counter is going out of the game loop and resetting the game.

• Like 1

Zanac crashed on me constantly. I was told out of 70 carts shipped mine was the only one that crashed. I sent it back and CollectorVision tested it on a handful of systems and was told it did not crash on any of their consoles. They shipped it back to me and the game crashed within 5 seconds of starting the game. At the time I had over 130 games in my collection including other SGM games and no other game crashed. I wound up sending Zanac back for a refund.

Here's a video of it if you hadn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQh3xgQpGY

Knightmare froze up on me twice out of the couple dozen times I've played it. I can't remember what I was doing the one time it froze. The other time I hit the * key to pause the game, took the dogs out and when I came back 5 minutes later the game was frozen and I couldn't resume the game.