IGNORED

The official Knightmare thread

opcode

It's very very strange that Zanac crash almost immediately on you. Zanac is made by Compile. Compile usually push the limit of the console they make games on. It makes me want to buy Zanac out of curiousity to see if it would do the same on my console.

The US power supply brick is pretty quirky. Unstable voltage could also make the game crash. I pretty much have to tame that brick to supply power to the console. I'm very happy that the SGM have a red LED telling me that the console is getting power.

It did crash/reset at the multi-crazy bat wave in Stage 2 once. After that, I made to stage 6 straight without the console crashing. I'm way too stubborn to stop playing this game. At least I found the warp to stage 3 and 4 in the stage 2, and found the warp to stage 6 in stage 3. Stage 6 is what I need practice on. More Knightmare play time after work.

i have one of my colecovision if i play gamester 81 gohst n zombie it miss some sprite but if i dump the file than play with the atarimax its ok why i dont know??? maybe there are some difference in colecovision like in the adam computer why some play sgm game with out the sgm and some not

i have one of my colecovision if i play gamester 81 gohst n zombie it miss some sprite but if i dump the file than play with the atarimax its ok why i dont know??? maybe there are some difference in colecovision like in the adam computer why some play sgm game with out the sgm and some not

I've figured out with the help of CrazyBoss why some games play and some games don't on the Adam , but all do on the SGM. It is because some games like Kings Valley do a check to see if it can bank switch the Bios rom with 8K ram. If it can't then it stops and says SGM Module is required. Most of the games don't check for that and don't use it.

game like thexder work on one of my adam and not on the orher.... when i run the sgm test the result is the same on both ??? i think we are 3 here who have one of those special units me rey and niad

Do they (These few special Adams) pass the 8K bank switch test with Nanochess test software?

Does this happen with the SGM plugged in?

thexder

twinbee

the goonies

zanac

the stone of wisdome

knightmare

rollerball

so far only king's valley dont work for me

this why i want to hookup the ay to this adam but to dumb to make it

Kings Valley won't play unless everything passes. If you hold the * when you start the game it will show what fails.

Edited by juice2839

thexder

twinbee

the goonies

zanac

the stone of wisdome

knightmare

rollerball

But you said Thexder didn't work...

thexder

twinbee

the goonies

zanac

the stone of wisdome

knightmare

rollerball

Kings Valley won't play unless everything passes. If you hold the * when you start the game it will show what fails.

psg fail so i only need the sound chip ?

This is all very interesting. Please tell me, those special Adams, do they run any SGM game at all? Because it could be many things, so I would like to isolate the problem...

These "special" ADAMs (the Stand-Alone ADAM, not the Exp. Mod. #3 ADAM) that chart45, rey and myself own will play ALL the SGM required games without the SGM plugged into the ADAM. The one thing missing, of course, is the audio output from the SGM sound chip, but if you are playing an SGM game (Mecha8 uses one or the other depending on what is found and the Super Games used the standard audio chip) that does not use the SGM's sound chip, then there are no worries seeing as the CV/ADAM's standard sound chip is used anyway.

Here is the kicker though, as far as what I experienced... you have to be using the actual cartridge of the game and not a rom dump played thru the AtariMax SD Cart. If you play using a rom dump, then the message is displayed stating that the SGM is required.

I had numerous Stand-Alone ADAMs come and go through my house the last 5 or so years and the only one that would play all the SGM games without the SGM attached was bought on eBay at the beginning of the year and looked like it was never used as well as possibly being manufactured at the tail end of ADAM production.

ED: Unfortunately I sold most of these games in question so I can't reverify this, but I will test the rom dumps via the AtariMax SD Cart without the SGM plugged in on this "special" ADAM. I seem to recall the actual cartridge of King's Valley playing just fine (no sound) on this ADAM... again without the SGM attached.

Edited by NIAD

That's super cool. They have the Bios Rom / Ram bank switching circuitry built in. I'd be interested in seeing a side by side picture of one of these pcb's and one that does not have it.

Somehow I had a feeling that you would like to see a picture of the PCBs inside the ADAM... specifically the ADAM Logic Board although the CV Delta Board may hold some secrets as well. Hmm, I hope chart45 or rey volunteers to take some pics because I'm short on time and it's time consuming to disassemble the Memory Console what with it's 32 screws and all to fully disassemble it !!!! :skull:

• Like 1

Somehow I had a feeling that you would like to see a picture of the PCBs inside the ADAM... specifically the ADAM Logic Board although the CV Delta Board may hold some secrets as well. Hmm, I hope chart45 or rey volunteers to take some pics because I'm short on time and it's time consuming to disassemble the Memory Console what with it's 32 screws and all to fully disassemble it !!!! :skull:

No worries/ I already built a SGM clone so I have a good idea how they did it. :)

Edited by juice2839