IGNORED

Disk Utilities Vn 4.2

atrax27407

Some years ago, I tried Disk Utilities Vn 4.2 on my system. The primary reason was that FWEB's DISK REVIEW won't read alpha drives (i.e., A-Z). I managed to use a disk sector editor and get it to load F'WEB by changing the default DSK1.UTIL1 to DSK1.FW. No problems there.

However, the Maximum Drive is set to "6" which is unacceptable. I want to be able to work with drives designated above 6 and all of the alpha drives. I have tried changing it using "Set System" but it always reverts to "6" the next time I use the program.

I have checked sector 1 in the first file and there atre two adjacent bytes >0006 and >005A that I think are related to the maximum disk number. I have tried changed them individually and together without significant result.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I think that is the reason, years ago that I reverted back to Vn 4.12. Thanks.

Some years ago, I tried Disk Utilities Vn 4.2 on my system. The primary reason was that FWEB's DISK REVIEW won't read alpha drives (i.e., A-Z). I managed to use a disk sector editor and get it to load F'WEB by changing the default DSK1.UTIL1 to DSK1.FW. No problems there.

However, the Maximum Drive is set to "6" which is unacceptable. I want to be able to work with drives designated above 6 and all of the alpha drives. I have tried changing it using "Set System" but it always reverts to "6" the next time I use the program.

I have checked sector 1 in the first file and there atre two adjacent bytes >0006 and >005A that I think are related to the maximum disk number. I have tried changed them individually and together without significant result.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I think that is the reason, years ago that I reverted back to Vn 4.12. Thanks.

Change the >06 to >2A. That is definitely the maximum drive number. It's byte >53 of the first sector of the first file. I'd done this years ago, but just went back and changed it to several different values to check that it was indeed changing the maximum drive number.

Gazoo

Hmm, sounds interesting.

Do you mind posting the location for v4.2 (or the files here)?

I've never seen that version out in the wild. But then I'll admit I haven't gone looking too hard either.

I really like Disk Utilities, except for ONE thing, you cannot use search and REPEAT. Major pain in the ass. Would be nice if that was fixed in 4.2??

Cheers!

-Dano

Hmm, sounds interesting.

Do you mind posting the location for v4.2 (or the files here)?

I've never seen that version out in the wild. But then I'll admit I haven't gone looking too hard either.

I really like Disk Utilities, except for ONE thing, you cannot use search and REPEAT. Major pain in the ass. Would be nice if that was fixed in 4.2??

Cheers!

-Dano

DSKU42.TXT

Here 'ya go. Change the txt extension to dsk. Maximum drives already changed to 'Z'.

Gazoo