IGNORED

Thank you Intellivisionaries

mr_intv

I want to thank the crew over at intellivisionaries for getting me to play The Dreadnaught Factor. I am hooked on this game. I never really gave it a chance before but now that I have I am really enjoying it. Keep up the excellent work guys and I look forward to your next episode. Hopefully it's released in the upcoming week.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I want to thank the crew over at intellivisionaries for getting me to play The Dreadnaught Factor. I am hooked on this game. I never really gave it a chance before but now that I have I am really enjoying it. Keep up the excellent work guys and I look forward to your next episode. Hopefully it's released in the upcoming week.

Awesome! Glad we got you to put some time in on the game. Honestly, I don't think any of us had spent a great deal of time on the game prior to doing the episode. But after doing so, it has become a favorite of mine. And somehow it's even better after hearing the story behind it from Tom Loughry himself.

Awesome! Glad we got you to put some time in on the game. Honestly, I don't think any of us had spent a great deal of time on the game prior to doing the episode. But after doing so, it has become a favorite of mine. And somehow it's even better after hearing the story behind it from Tom Loughry himself.

It probably is the non homebrew game I play the most right now. It gets very addicting to me, I look forward to your next game review of Sea Battle as it is one of my all time favourites. If only it had a 1 player mode....

It probably is the non homebrew game I play the most right now. It gets very addicting to me, I look forward to your next game review of Sea Battle as it is one of my all time favourites. If only it had a 1 player mode....

I agree, I dream about a 1 player mode in Sea Battle.

• Like 2

And thanks for the interview with David Rolfe – it was fascinating.

To answer the question about why Imagic games could be paused with the normal 1+9 or 3+7 keypad combinations – it was because they called the EXEC to read the hand controllers. It's during this call that the counter is incremented and compared (if there are no controller presses) and eventually the screen is blanked.

As far as I know, none of the original games actually read from the controllers directly, although I suppose the Intv. Corp. games may have. I think there has always been a lot of confusion about how exactly to go about it.

Carl

• Like 2

And thanks for the interview with David Rolfe – it was fascinating.

To answer the question about why Imagic games could be paused with the normal 1+9 or 3+7 keypad combinations – it was because they called the EXEC to read the hand controllers. It's during this call that the counter is incremented and compared (if there are no controller presses) and eventually the screen is blanked.

As far as I know, none of the original games actually read from the controllers directly, although I suppose the Intv. Corp. games may have. I think there has always been a lot of confusion about how exactly to go about it.

Carl

Thanks, Carl. Agreed, Dave Rolfe was great.

My point in asking that question was whether Imagic and Activision were violating the "don't use the Exec" policy, and opening themselves up to a lawsuit by Mattel for making use of proprietary information.

And by the way, Carl. When can I get an interview with you? I have A LOT of questions, praise, etc...

:grin:

My point in asking that question was whether Imagic and Activision were violating the "don't use the Exec" policy, and opening themselves up to a lawsuit by Mattel for making use of proprietary information.

And by the way, Carl. When can I get an interview with you? I have A LOT of questions, praise, etc...

I think many of us would like to see/hear Carl get his due, and would be very interested in hearing from him.

• Like 4

I'd be happy to. Might want to wait a few months until my new game is out, however; I'll have more to talk about then. ;-)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished ep 8. Another job well done. I'm looking forward to ep 9 and the review of Beauyt & The Beast. I'll have to start playing that again, for some reason I always enjoyed getting to the top of the building and then falling over the edge and crashing on your head on purpose! It would also be interesting to put the debate to rest whether or not it is a sequel to Tropical Trouble, I say no, but some believe it is.

Edited by mr_intv

Beauty and the Beast came before Tropical Trouble. I always felt that TT was a sequel, but can't recall if it's still Buford and Mabel or even if the characters have the same names. I know that the sprite for your 'avatar' sure looks the same in both games, though.

Beauty & The Beast (part number 700007) was first, and you play 'Bashful Buford' - and your girlfriend is 'Tiny Mabel'.

In Tropical Trouble (part number 700017), you are 'Clarence', and your girlfriend is 'Doris'.

Wendell Brown programmed B&TB, Steve DeFrisco did TT. My guess is Steve simply used some graphics/sprites that Wendell had already created.

If we are able to talk to anyone involved in episode 9 (uncertain at this point), we'll try to find out for sure.

• 1 month later...

I've got less then an hour to go in episode 9 and it has been great. Thankyou for getting the truth out there if Tropical Trouble was a sequel to Beauty and the Beast. But if anyone wants to find out I guess they'll have to listen to the podcast. ;) this episode has really flew by for me, probably my favorite show to date. Again, thankyou for putting these shows together.

I've got less then an hour to go in episode 9 and it has been great. Thankyou for getting the truth out there if Tropical Trouble was a sequel to Beauty and the Beast. But if anyone wants to find out I guess they'll have to listen to the podcast. ;) this episode has really flew by for me, probably my favorite show to date. Again, thankyou for putting these shows together.

Thanks, mr_intv, it's great to hear that you're enjoying the podcast. We really love doing it. And it was great for me personally, to interview Wendell Brown. Great guy, amazing games.

Make sure you read his Wikipedia page. The guy has quite an impressive list of accomplishments, beyond his Imagic days:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Brown

• 4 weeks later...

I fired up Dreadnaught factor after that podcast episode as well, great in depth interview too. It is real interesting hearing some of the background and stories connected to the industry.

Thanks R.O.T.S. I love interviewing these legends. I think I get more out of it than even the listeners.

• 1 month later...

I just finished ep. 12 and it was one of my favorites to date. For some odd reason I think Will really shined in this episode! ;) I will be revisiting Thin Ice this weekend and will be trying to see how many times I can get that Zamboni to resurface the ice! Congrats on starting year 2 next month. :)

• Like 1