IGNORED

DOAD .DSK files on Mac V9T9 help!

Ed in SoDak

I've used MacV9T9 many times over the years. Even though it's not perfect, it's enough to run many of my favorite games.

I've had no problem porting individual files and ARChives from my TI to my Mac, but I seem to hit a brick wall with getting files out of V9T9 .DSK images downloaded off the 'net. Re-reading the docs for the umpteenth time, I guess that ability was never fully implemented in the Mac version. Development was dropped before the Mac version of the Utilities gained any resemblance to Mac elegance. It's pretty much user-vicious so far as the rudimentary docs and input routines are concerned. Every time I use it, I have to relearn the process.

The MacV9T9 emulation of the TI itself is not bad, aside from some disk issues. Extended BASIC games really benefit from the user-set speed control. If I could just deal with the .DSK files, I'd be set for a long time.

I grabbed the latest Java version of V9T9, but my older Mac won't run it. My wife's Macbook Pro will, does anyone know if it will handle .DSK files? Or is there some utility floating around to allow me to check out/convert all these DOAD .DSK folders I keep for that "someday" when I finally figure it out. I do have an old Win/DOS box in the shed it might be worth hooking up if I can use it just for porting the DOADs over to FIAD individual file format.

Thanks for any help!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Thanks! I get a 404 error on your link though. I'll try feeding it into archive.org to see if they stored it.

-Ed

Edit: Found it there, but it's a DOS .exe. Guess I'll need to drag the ol' WinDoze box out after all... With five Macs out now, plus my TI, kinda cramped for another machine. It would be nice to have a Mac-based utility, but I can try to do a major session and then put it away again.

In the meantime, I need to check out the new Java version more thoroughly. Sandy's done playing Candy Crunch for now, so her laptop's available at the moment, lol.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Thanks! I have an old, old copy of DOSbox, but I marked as not working when tested. That was ages ago, maybe I need to have a fresh look. Newer Macs than mine with Intel chips can switch to MS-land if you have the software and OS installed.

What do other Mac V9T9 users do? I guess most have moved on to other emulators like MESS, but I've yet to get any of version of that program to work for me.

I've grown familar with V9T9 simply because I could actually run my programs with it. If you can run Classic or OS9 and prior "native," it'll work. My problems mostly arise with using the quickly-ported V9T9 utilities program. The Mac version is incomplete compared to the DOS version and he dropped support soon after till it recently resurfaced in Java.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

I have a friend who traded in his Win for a Mac last year but had a old TI game he liked. so I searched the web for a dosbox that worked with mac and used v9t9 in the dosbox. it worked really well. had to fiddle with it a little bit, but it worked.

Thanks for the tip! I ran across my old DOSbox folder I'd grabbed back in 2007 and couldn't get it to run. Tried it again (new system since then) and it worked! Seems kinda funny to emulate DOS to emulate a TI but whatever works in the end! Now, if I could only emulate my brain from back when I was more familiar with DOS... but I forgot to make memory backups, lol.

I may have found an older copy of JAVA runtime 6 that will run on my system and allow me to check out Ed's newest version of V9T9. Lots of reading and catching up with all that's old. ;-)

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Ed,

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

The latest version works on my system with a minor change to the shell script. I am running Macbook Pro with Mt. Lion 64-bit.

I'm attaching the updated script here. See if that works for you. It's a good emulator and it supports DSK images as well as FIAD directories.

#!/bin/sh
#   v9t9.sh
# 
#   (c) 2011-2013 Edward Swartz
# 
#   All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials
#   are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0
#   which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
#   http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html
# 

NORMSCRIPT=$(echo $0 | sed 's/\\/\//g')
BASEDIR=$(dirname "$NORMSCRIPT")

if [ -z "$JAVA" ]; then
	JAVA=java
fi	
VMARGS="-Xmx256M -Djava.library.path=$TMPDIR/.v9t9j/exec/libs"

if [ "$1" = "-debug" ]; then
	VMARGS="$VMARGS -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=localhost:8000"
	shift
fi	

OS=$(uname)

if [ "$OS" = "Darwin" ]; then
    VMARGS="$VMARGS -XstartOnFirstThread"
fi

VMARGS="$VMARGS -Dlog4j.configuration=jar:file:$BASEDIR/v9t9j.jar!/log4j.properties"
#VMARGS="$VMARGS -Dlog4j.configuration=jar:file:$BASEDIR/v9t9j.jar!/debug.properties"

VMARGS="$VMARGS $V9T9_VMARGS"

"$JAVA" $VMARGS -cp "$BASEDIR"  -jar $BASEDIR/v9t9j.jar "$@"

The change is made to line 18:

VMARGS="-Xmx256M -Djava.library.path=$TMPDIR/.v9t9j/exec/libs"

I had a previous version working on Snow Leopard but it was 32-bit. I haven't tried this latest version on it, though. I ended up getting a slightly newer Mac that was 64-bit. It appears to me that Apple broke something in there.

The only issue I currently have with it; is sometimes the directories take a long time to browse. He's taking a look into that issue now.

Let me know your results!

-Dano

Wow, thanks for the help guys! It's cool to discover DOSbox works now. Glad I don't simply trash apps I can't seem to run easily. Sooner or later it works out.

My DOSbox is .72. My recollection of DOS commands is about .1, lol. Back in 2007 I was probably mostly running Mac OS9.22 on a 500mhz G3 iMac, but I'd boot osX 10.28 when needed.

Now I run osX 10.4.11 on a G4 Mirror Door Mac, as it's the last version of hardware/OSX that supports Classic os9.22. I refuse to give up my old favorite Classic apps. I have four drives in this Mac and can boot into 10.58 if I choose, but I lose all Classic apps under that OS.

Sandy uses a Macbook Pro Santa Rosa core 2 Duo running 10.6. I could run Windows/DOS "native" on that machine if I buy the OS but it will run the java version of V9T9 as it sits.

I'll try the Java runtime on my Mirror Door and see what I get. That might be easier than relearning DOS as well as the DOS version of V9T9, but it's something I have wanted to play with anyway. I also have a folder of other DOS apps and TI emulators to check out if I get up to speed.

Easiest of course would be a simple Mac-aware DOAD converter to avoid needing to learn other programs, but I may find something I like better.

Right now, it's probably more important I work on my taxes, but this is so much more necessary to my well-being! ;)

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

Update: DOSbox .74 won't load on my older 10.4.11, but .72 seems fine so I've been playing with that.

Tidir54b needs Windows, all I'm emulating is DOS so far. I have another convertor that did run under DOS but I was getting an error and it didn't complete.

I tried the DOS version 6.0 of V9T9 and it won't launch, apparently due to not finding the Sound Blaster driver files on my Mac. No joy so far locating the CT-voice.drv file. Some soundcard driver installers I tried again want Windows.

Next I tried installing Java on the Mirror Door Mac. Had to boot with 10.5, which informed me it already had a newer version, but I guess it's still java 5 and the V9T9 for Java requires Java v6, so shot down again.

I switched to the Mac Book, where I did get V9T9 for java to run on it, got the ROMs installed and a basic setup completed. I did manage to load and run a few FIAD-type files and I could at least catalog a DOAD .dsk image I tried as a test. I made the most progress with this java emulator, then the laptop battery began to run down, so I called beer-thirty and shut it down.

All I really want to do is convert the DOADs to FIADs. I'm closer to doing that with the V9T9 Java version on the laptop.

I still have a copy of PC99er and maybe a couple other TI emulators to try in DOSbox.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

All I really want to do is convert the DOADs to FIADs. I'm closer to doing that with the V9T9 Java version on the laptop.

Well then, if you have Java anyway, why don't you try TIImageTool? This is one of the use cases I wrote it for. You can "export" the disk image to your host file system and get a collection of TIFILES files. I guess this is what you want ot achieve. Works with sector dump images (v9t9) and track dump images (pc99).

Well then, if you have Java anyway, why don't you try TIImageTool? This is one of the use cases I wrote it for. You can "export" the disk image to your host file system and get a collection of TIFILES files. I guess this is what you want ot achieve. Works with sector dump images (v9t9) and track dump images (pc99).

Yes, TIImageTool is good too!

Is it possible to put in a feature request?? I'd love to have side by side windows and/or windows you could drag and drop between. :thumbsup:

Thanks for a great app regardless!

-Dano

Is it possible to put in a feature request?? I'd love to have side by side windows and/or windows you could drag and drop between. :thumbsup:

But these are already two features: separate windows and DnD. :-)

I have them on my list; for that reason I'm counting with 1.5x instead of going to 1.6 because this is my plan for the next release.

• Like 1

Although my Mac with 10.58 has Java 5, I couldn't get TIImageTool to work. I wonder if it's because it only has a PPC G4 processor. It did run on Sandy's MB Pro. I can open a dsk image, click a file and view the contents but I couldn't get a file exported to a TIfiles format. I must be missing some step or option somewhere.

Using V9T9 Java on the Macbook, i can run Archiver, but on the few dsk images I tried, it would hang in mid-process when extracting the files. What a challenge this has turned out to be!

Thanks for the help! Using 10.4.11, it would run by clicking the jar file. Menus worked to locate a file, but then it would be a spinning wheel. I could continue to pick menu options, but nothing would happen, spinning wheel cursor remained. Restarting, I could again try an option to be greeted with the wheel again.

Using 10,58, same situation with the difference there was a splash graphic on the window background.

10.6 on an Intel core 2 duo Macbook Pro it would run and function. I could not seem to find an option to extract a dsk or a lone file from the dsk to a folder. I'll have to try again to record the exact error message, something about the destination folder/file couldn't be found. The program would create the foldr, but it was left empty. I was able to make a new .dsk folder, which came up as a tab in the program window and put something on it, but it was still in .dsk format. The docs aren't clear enough for my adelpated noggin, but maybe if I spend more time, I'll figure out where I've gone wrong.

I'm a bit amazed at the horsepower and maneuvering needed to emulate a simple 'ol TI when Mac V9T9 works so well, it's just lacking this .dsk image to TIfiles conversion option. That program runs well even on an old '030 Mac with System 7 and can emulate a TI at something over 3x normal speed if desired. I realize the older platforms are no longer much in use or supported. I hoped my G4 Mac could handle some version of Java, but it's apparently too out-of-date to run the latest programs. Maybe I need to make sure that Java is properly/fully installed.

The TIImageTool I found was from a link in one of your prior posts and seems to be v1.5.0, found in the Mac's Get Info of the "java" file. Sandy's using her Macbook, I wait till she's done before I comandeer it.

Thanks again! I feel I have to be missing some minor little detail in what I'm doing or have installed to support the program.

-Ed

Thanks for the help! Using 10.4.11, it would run by clicking the jar file. Menus worked to locate a file, but then it would be a spinning wheel.

This is an indication that an exception occured. Could you please run TIImageTool from a shell / command line and report what is printed there?

10.6 on an Intel core 2 duo Macbook Pro it would run and function. I could not seem to find an option to extract a dsk or a lone file from the dsk to a folder. I'll have to try again to record the exact error message, something about the destination folder/file couldn't be found. The program would create the foldr, but it was left empty. I was able to make a new .dsk folder, which came up as a tab in the program window and put something on it, but it was still in .dsk format. The docs aren't clear enough for my adelpated noggin, but maybe if I spend more time, I'll figure out where I've gone wrong.

You can export a single file with right mouse click on the file (show the context menu), then select "Save as TIFILES".

You can export a complete disk with the Export function in the "File" menu. Select a target directory, then save. You get another dialog window that asks how the file names shall be created. Finally, you get a message window "Export completed successfully".

I once suggested to use the extension ".tfi" for TIFILES format (as a general indication regardless of the tool or emulator), but there are also other extensions (like xmo, because Xmodem tools were the first to create such files) or none.

BTW, the 1.5.0 you get from the "Get info" most likely shows the required Java version, not the release number of TIImageTool.

The Export function works recursively, just in case you have subdirectories on the image.

Under 10.4.11, here's the error report when dragged to Terminal and I hit Enter.

>>>>

Last login: Sun Mar 30 14:25:58 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
dougie:~ Patti$ /Users/Patti/Desktop/tiimagetool/tiimagetool.jar
-bash: /Users/Patti/Desktop/tiimagetool/tiimagetool.jar: Permission denied
dougie:~ Patti$
<<<<<

I'm neither dougie or Patti, it's a second hand system I never bothered to change the owner/admin names. Maybe ol' dougie has set some sort of firewall. I used Mac's Disk Utility to reset the permissions, made sure the files were on the root directory, etc. No difference.

My own assumption is the error is on my end; either old hardware, lacking software or bad input.

I'll investigate 10.6 again later. Thanks again!

-Ed

I made some headway, if not success. Using the Macbook, I discovered I was double-clicking the destination folder when I went to export. That's a Mac convention for choosing and opening a folder, then you specify the final name.

If I just clicked on a folder so it appeared in the dialog box, then it worked! I need to remove the .tfi and maybe make other change as the ported test files did not seem to work in Mac V9T9, but at least it ported them from the dsk file, so at least it's something more than I was getting before.

Thanks for sticking with me on this! I have other info on java errors, but it's very late and time to call it a session.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

I have a second computer running osX 10.4.11. When I drag the jar file to it I get this error:

>>>>

Last login: Mon Mar 31 09:28:00 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
users-emac:~ user$ /Users/user/Desktop/tiimagetool/tiimagetool.jar
-bash: /Users/user/Desktop/tiimagetool/tiimagetool.jar: cannot execute binary file

<<<<

I'll try adding the Java -jar as you mentioned above.

Here it is:

>>>

users-emac:~ user$ java -jar /Users/user/Desktop/tiimagetool/tiimagetool.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: ti/image/TIImageTool (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:539)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:251)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:55)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:194)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:289)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:274)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:235)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)

<<<

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

You cannot execute jar files directly; they must be passed to the Java runtime. Hence the invocation of java.

The UnsupportedClassVersionException means your Java runtime is outdated. Could you add the output of "java -version"? I'd expect this is some Java runtime earlier than 1.5, maybe 1.4 or earlier. As I need some classes from Java 5 (JVM 1.5), you'll have to upgrade this Java runtime, or you cannot run TIImageTool on that machine.

I usually try to add error messages to the program which are self-explanatory to some degree, but this happens before my code is loaded. ;-)