IGNORED

Elite for the TI-99/4A

Stuart

• 1 year later...

I am a bit of a TI purist at heart and as much as I like seeing games being developed with the f18 in mind-I have always had a preference for games being developed for use on the native hardware.

I would however be prepared to set my puritanical views to one side if Elite was developed on f18 hardware.

Well-you have to have a dream :)

• Like 2

If there is one genre mostly missing from the TI Game arsenal, it would have to be vertically scrolling space shooters, very few exist.

I can only think of Titanium, space invaders doesn't count as there is no scrolling. Imagine a decent port of Galaga, would be awesome!

• Like 1

If there is one genre mostly missing from the TI Game arsenal, it would have to be vertically scrolling space shooters, very few exist.

I can only think of Titanium, space invaders doesn't count as there is no scrolling. Imagine a decent port of Galaga, would be awesome!

Don't forget Tursi's Super Space Acer, Mission Destruct by Glenn Schworak, Espial by Alex Staruszkiewicz and Astro Fighter (Galaga inspired), all on the TI Gameshelf.

• Like 2

It sort of works...

Missing a lot of library functions, but I got enough of it going... the biggest obstacles were lack of working float (at least I couldn't prove that float worked) and lack of 32-bit division (again, if it's there I'm not sure how to link it).

This code works, though it's not yet playable. It let me add a few functions to my libti99 anyway ;) Known problems at the moment:

-the displayed cash value is wrong - it should start with 100 but says 80. I know it's a display error because the 16-bit version of the print function works... and my 32-bit version works on the PC, so it may be a tricky bug to find. (Or maybe I'll just rewrite it in asm) ;)

-sell doesn't seem to sell the right amount. This is odd because buy seems to work. It may just be a sign error or it may just be the cash display being wrong - not investigated yet.

-fuel seems to buy the wrong amount of fuel - again, not investigated.

Everything else appears to be working, but I haven't dug too deeply. I've never played Elite so I don't know much about it. I'll see if I can figure out any more tomorrow. ;)

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

Here's a version that I think is working fully. Lots of little changes, I ended up removing all 32-bit math because sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. I also had trouble with the distance function until I broke it up. (It was returning 0 more often than not).

But I gave each command a quick run-through, and they appear to do the right things. I also added an 80-column mode for those who want to try that, but I have reformatted all screens to be usable in 40 columns, so only the LOCAL command benefits from 80 (much more readable information). I didn't try 80 column mode on hardware, so although I expect it to work on F18A, I have no idea on the 9938.

Source and FIAD files are included - you'll need my latest libti99 from Github to build it, as I added a number of functions for it. (TXTELITE and TXTELITF)

I've also created a quick 16k loader-cart for those who like that. 32k required, of course. (textElite3.BIN)

post-12959-0-43562200-1452400692_thumb.png

textElite.zip

• Like 8