IGNORED

[Aquarius] The Secret of the 3 Castles

Back in the days when I had my Aquarius, I bought a MSX gamebook with an adventure written in BASIC. The adventure was a text adventure with drawn images in the book as a graphical aid. I got the program working on the Aquarius with minimal modifications. Recently I came across this book and decided to write the program once more and to scan the images to a PDF file.
The zip file at Google Drive (1Gb) contains a README (this text), a PDF with drawn images and a text file which can be loaded into the Virtual Aquarius emulator as a quick type textfile.

post-27598-0-72899200-1396378824_thumb.png

The story:
A long time ago, king Wohar I ruled the country of Longlifia together with his wife Grünhilde and his three sons Wakahl, Meihr, Clohar. When the king died the middlest son Meihr seized power and everything went downhill. The story of Longlifia became a sad tale of woe and misfortune, and a curse was casted. Bandits and monsters are now roaming the land. According to legend the spell can only be lifted when the trinity is reunited.
Now, go traveler! Solve the mystery of Longlifia, lift the spell and bring back the peace and harmony.

Please use this thread to share your adventures and to find help.

Regs,
Martin

• Like 7

Hi Martin, as you seem to be more experienced than myself in converting Basic programs, I have one related question. I often see general Basic programs, which seem not to be that difficult to get it also running on the Aquarius computer. However this fails due to one statement, and that would be the DEF FN statement. Is there someway to convert this, so it can be handled by the Aquarius?

Extended basic does support DEF FN. It allows you to create your own functions. The only thing that comes near is a GOSUB.

I know Extended Basic supports this function and these programs work fine with the use of it, but of course I am now a BLBasic user, so I wondered if there was someway around this DEF FN Statement?

I am also familiar with GOSUB, but how to convert something like this: DEF FNA(Q)=Q+11*(Q>=22),in a GOSUB Statement?

PS By the way I am not asking you to incorporate this in BLBasic, because I rather have something like Scrolling, MEMCopy etc. as commands opposed to DEF FN.

Edited by Aquaman

how to convert something like this: DEF FNA(Q)=Q+11*(Q>=22),in a GOSUB Statement?

This creates (defines) a function named A

The function takes one parameter/argument and calls it Q (between () )

Normal usage of this function would be

10 DEF FNA(Q)=Q+11*(Q>=22)
20 PRINT FNA(5)
To do this in Aquarius basic:

5 GOTO 20
10 A=Q+11*(Q>=22):RETURN
20 Q=5:GOSUB 10:PRINT A
Functions need to be DEFined before they can be called.

Instead of DEF FN you use a new memory variable and an additional RETURN at the end (line 10)

When the function is called (line 20) you need pass the values to the arguments (in this case Q), call function using GOSUB and find the result in your memory variable.

You must be carefull not to use an memory variable which is already used in the program.

Regs,

Martin

• Like 1