Photo

MB Flight Commander & Cosmic Commander Controls?

Milton Bradley Company

13 replies to this topic

#1 OldSchoolRetroGamer ONLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• 5,072 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 12:51 AM

Someone posted these images on Facebook, I was never aware of the Milton Bradley Commander Control or Cosmic Controllers.

What games were they for? Was it any good? Did it WORK? Were the games any good and finally was this controller good for any other games? Is the fact I never heard of these for good reason? 

ppwolrO.jpg

uGKZAVX.jpg

#2 high voltage ONLINE  

high voltage

Quadrunner

• 6,214 posts

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:11 AM

I got the Flight Commander Control, great fun with the game Spitfire Attack

SpitfireAttack_zps97e1df57.jpg

Still looking for the Cosmic Commander Control, the game for it is Survival Run (which I already own)

Edited by high voltage, Fri Apr 4, 2014 1:12 AM.

#3 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,555 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 8:06 AM

I have a boxed Cosmic Commander, but not the Flight Commander. These things worked like regular joysticks, so there really wouldn't be any games specifically made for them. The pack-ins even work fine with the regular controller, though obviously you want to use what they were packed with.

#4 JamesL OFFLINE  

JamesL

Chopper Commander

• 181 posts

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:00 AM

The only place I saw these advertised back in the day was in a magazine, probably Electronic Games. I got both NOS boxed over the last few years on ebay and really like them and the pack in games. IMO they don't seem like they would hold up under the abuse some kids would have put them through, which may be one reason they are rare today. Aside from the pack in games, I found that the Cosmic Commander controller works really well with Star Wars The Arcade Game, especially if you are used to the control on the arcade game, which is shaped similarly.

Edited by JamesL, Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:00 AM.

#5 yllawwally OFFLINE  

yllawwally

Moonsweeper

• 310 posts

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 9:35 AM

They seem like they would work well for missile command.

#6 bradhig OFFLINE  

bradhig

Moonsweeper

• 367 posts

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:27 AM

The cosmic Commander looks like it had a display on the front of it or was it just something that lit up when you moved the controller?

#7 OldSchoolRetroGamer ONLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,072 posts
  • aka MaximumRD !

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014 8:49 PM

Cool, thanks for the info, I like them for at least the novelty factor. Any other opinion, stories, thoughts regarding these controllers / games? 

#8 Botbird208 OFFLINE  

Botbird208

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:54 AM

The cosmic commander was supposed to work with Milton Bradley's Survival Run. I know at one point I saw an ad with it in inside.

Also, Nice and Games has a video where he discusses the cosmic commander controller. I believe that there's a link to that ad in that video.

#9 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,638 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:57 PM

Here's a never released third one:

http://www.atarimani..._commanders.jpg

8)

#10 bradhig OFFLINE  

bradhig

Moonsweeper

• 367 posts

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 PM

This is a Cosmic Commander on ebay ,but it is untested.

#11 Botbird208 OFFLINE  

Botbird208

Chopper Commander

• 220 posts

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:58 PM

looking on top of avgn's NES shelf, it seems he has both of the controllers.

#12 Polish_Gasoline OFFLINE  

Polish_Gasoline

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 PM

Hi ppls,

I just picked up a flight commander and a cosmic commander tested on Stella with the 2600-daptor 2 and am curious about how they work.

The flight commander with the up and down but if I rock it towards myself or against it seems to go up and down.  Also with hard knocks to the right and left it seems to go left either or.  I'm just wondering how they work with the batteries in it and if it is work to pick up the game carts in itself with an atari 2600.  If all possible if I could see the inside of an unmolested flight commander to see how it is.

Thanks.

Edited by Polish_Gasoline, Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 PM.

#13 Polish.Gasoline OFFLINE  

Polish.Gasoline

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:03 PM

Hi ppls,
I just picked up a flight commander and a cosmic commander tested on Stella with the 2600-daptor 2 and am curious about how they work.

The flight commander with the up and down but if I rock it towards myself or against it seems to go up and down.  Also with hard knocks to the right and left it seems to go left either or.  I'm just wondering how they work with the batteries in it and if it is work to pick up the game carts in itself with an atari 2600.  If all possible if I could see the inside of an unmolested flight commander to see how it is.

Thanks.

Edit:
It all works the way Atari gods intended. Just curious about the wonderous vibrations and sounds I'm supposed to hear when plugged into the console. Could someone elaborate?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

#14 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,027 posts

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 PM

Cool, thanks for the info, I like them for at least the novelty factor. Any other opinion, stories, thoughts regarding these controllers / games?

I had both once... very cool novelty or conversation pieces for the VCS collector, but that's about it. Something cool to display among your collection of peripherals if you have the room I guess.

What I thought was more strange than these specialty controllers, were that the stickers for the guns AND the cartridges came on this separate sheet and MB expected customers to place them where they belong. That's why you see sooooo many Spitfire Attack's and Survival Run's missing their labels. End labels in particular.   :mad:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users