IGNORED

MB Flight Commander & Cosmic Commander Controls?

OldSchoolRetroGamer

Someone posted these images on Facebook, I was never aware of the Milton Bradley Commander Control or Cosmic Controllers.

What games were they for? Was it any good? Did it WORK? Were the games any good and finally was this controller good for any other games? Is the fact I never heard of these for good reason?

ppwolrO.jpg

uGKZAVX.jpg

I have a boxed Cosmic Commander, but not the Flight Commander. These things worked like regular joysticks, so there really wouldn't be any games specifically made for them. The pack-ins even work fine with the regular controller, though obviously you want to use what they were packed with.

• Like 1

The only place I saw these advertised back in the day was in a magazine, probably Electronic Games. I got both NOS boxed over the last few years on ebay and really like them and the pack in games. IMO they don't seem like they would hold up under the abuse some kids would have put them through, which may be one reason they are rare today. Aside from the pack in games, I found that the Cosmic Commander controller works really well with Star Wars The Arcade Game, especially if you are used to the control on the arcade game, which is shaped similarly.

Edited by JamesL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The cosmic commander was supposed to work with Milton Bradley's Survival Run. I know at one point I saw an ad with it in inside.

Also, Nice and Games has a video where he discusses the cosmic commander controller. I believe that there's a link to that ad in that video.

• 3 years later...

Hi ppls,

I just picked up a flight commander and a cosmic commander tested on Stella with the 2600-daptor 2 and am curious about how they work.

The flight commander with the up and down but if I rock it towards myself or against it seems to go up and down. Also with hard knocks to the right and left it seems to go left either or. I'm just wondering how they work with the batteries in it and if it is work to pick up the game carts in itself with an atari 2600. If all possible if I could see the inside of an unmolested flight commander to see how it is.

Thanks.

Edited by Polish_Gasoline

Hi ppls,

I just picked up a flight commander and a cosmic commander tested on Stella with the 2600-daptor 2 and am curious about how they work.

The flight commander with the up and down but if I rock it towards myself or against it seems to go up and down. Also with hard knocks to the right and left it seems to go left either or. I'm just wondering how they work with the batteries in it and if it is work to pick up the game carts in itself with an atari 2600. If all possible if I could see the inside of an unmolested flight commander to see how it is.

Thanks.

Edit:

It all works the way Atari gods intended. Just curious about the wonderous vibrations and sounds I'm supposed to hear when plugged into the console. Could someone elaborate?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks for the info, I like them for at least the novelty factor. Any other opinion, stories, thoughts regarding these controllers / games?

I had both once... very cool novelty or conversation pieces for the VCS collector, but that's about it. Something cool to display among your collection of peripherals if you have the room I guess.

What I thought was more strange than these specialty controllers, were that the stickers for the guns AND the cartridges came on this separate sheet and MB expected customers to place them where they belong. That's why you see sooooo many Spitfire Attack's and Survival Run's missing their labels. End labels in particular. :mad:

• 2 years later...

Well, if you put the batteries in the bottom, then it will light up and vibrate Everytime you push the button

Edit:

It all works the way Atari gods intended. Just curious about the wonderous vibrations and sounds I'm supposed to hear when plugged into the console. Could someone elaborate?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Edited by Skwrl63

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I had the Cosmic Commander one. Bought it on clearance for like a buck fifty. There was a reason. Worst controller ever. Basically a flashlight and a horrible 4 direction slider control attached to some really cheap plastic. I couldn't part with it soon enough. It's amazing what folks will consider collectible given the passage of time.