IGNORED

DS Hidden Gems 3 + Honorable Mentions & Outtakes

• 2 years later...

I know these hidden gems videos were from a while ago, but if you ever do another DS hidden gems video I have two pretty obscure recommendations for games to add to it.

#1. Orcs & Elves

This game from Id Software is a first person dungeon crawler RPG that is heavy on action and low on the tedium that turns a lot of people off RPGs. It's got a gloriously retro visual style, using character sprites and textures very reminiscent of Id Software's earlier releases like the original Doom trilogy, Hexen, and Heretic. The game mechanics are all thoroughly explained as you along, the story is great and very humorous at times, and the whole game is just wonderfully crafted to be very approachable and easy to get into for those who may not be too familiar with dungeon crawling RPGs. This game is everything that I wished The Dark Spire was, and it's a real shame that more people don't know about it.

#2. Touch the Dead

First off, no! This isn't a necrophilia game! Now that we've gotten that little detail out of the way, if you're a fan of Sega's House of the Dead series you're definitely going I like this one. Touch the Dead is, for all intents and purposes, a House of the Dead game that uses the touchscreen and stylus for shooting and reloading rather than a light gun and CRT TV. The gameplay is fast and frenetic with a good amount of challenge, weapon variety, and unlockables to keep you coming back to play through it again several times over. The story is set in a prison this time around and the dialogue is just as campy as fans of the House of the Dead series would come to expect from a game inspired by it. In short, if you like The House of the Dead and own a DS or 3DS system then Touch the Dead is absolutely worth picking up a copy of. :)

Edited by Jin