IGNORED

Setting up a 632k cart

Gazoo

I could only find one version, v1.2, on Fred's website. So that's the one I used. Let me know if I need to change it.

Gazoo

Jamie has patched the software version of HDX1 to work on the new nanopeb2

malilonj via yahoogroups.com

Aug 9 (4 days ago)

I have posted this application at http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/.

Documentation is under the works. Also, I'm looking at TELCO for conversion.

Also cf2k is now supporting it as well:

Hi all,

An updated version of Cf2k v2.2 is available here:

http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/

Cf2k searches the DSR for a printer port.

If it find "PIO." it is a Cf7+

If it find "SIO." it is a nanoPEB

If it find "COM1." it is a nanaoPEB2

Could not test it myself (yet), but if a nanoPEB 2

owner will do this and post the results I would

appreciate it.

enjoy,

Fred ;-)

(reposted)

Some ideas...

Add one of the later versions of Mass Transfer if you want a simple terminal emulator.

A few people mentioned BOOT/BOOU in the F18A thread; a version of it might be nice. Of course, you'd have to set up your programs carefully in advance ;)

If I had one of these carts, I'd probably reserve an 8K chunk for a small program that would load programs from media, such as FWEB or Telco, versus having to manually launch from E/A. Like BOOT but smaller.

Is there a CF utility to change the mounted drives?

Jamie has patched the software version of HDX1 to work on the new nanopeb2

malilonj via yahoogroups.com

Aug 9 (4 days ago)

I have posted this application at http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/.

Documentation is under the works. Also, I'm looking at TELCO for conversion.

Also cf2k is now supporting it as well:

Hi all,

An updated version of Cf2k v2.2 is available here:

http://home.vodafonethuis.nl/fgkaal/

Cf2k searches the DSR for a printer port.

If it find "PIO." it is a Cf7+

If it find "SIO." it is a nanoPEB

If it find "COM1." it is a nanaoPEB2

Could not test it myself (yet), but if a nanoPEB 2

owner will do this and post the results I would

appreciate it.

enjoy,

Fred ;-)

(reposted)

Well, the CF2K version is the one I downloaded and included in the Rom so far, so we're good there.

How many versions of CFHDSX do we need?

Gazoo

• Like 1

Some ideas...

Add one of the later versions of Mass Transfer if you want a simple terminal emulator.

A few people mentioned BOOT/BOOU in the F18A thread; a version of it might be nice. Of course, you'd have to set up your programs carefully in advance ;)

If I had one of these carts, I'd probably reserve an 8K chunk for a small program that would load programs from media, such as FWEB or Telco, versus having to manually launch from E/A. Like BOOT but smaller.

I've never used Mass Transfer, is it an 'all inclusive' EA5 program? That's what's going to work here.

Perhaps more explanation is needed as to the purpose I have in mind. Once there is a completely working version of this cart, lots of people will want one. At first, a generic version that everyone can put to some use can be distributed to satisfy the immediate need of those that want one. That's what this can be. It will take some time for people that want custom carts to decide exactly what they want in it, and having an example of what is possible will help them create their ideal cart. This is just my idea of how to get the ball rolling. If I decide I want one for myself, it will surely be decidedly different.

So, Insaneone, aren't you curious as to how I'm going to get MDM5 to load? ;)

Gazoo

• Like 1

Some ideas...

This is the reason I love the Super Cart so much and wish it could be included in a new cart design. With a program like QUIKLOAD, one could have the customized menu residing in the 8K RAM, but change it anytime they wished.

QUIKLOAD.pdf

I've never used Mass Transfer, is it an 'all inclusive' EA5 program? That's what's going to work here.

So, Insaneone, aren't you curious as to how I'm going to get MDM5 to load? ;)

Gazoo

Yes - Mass Transfer is as you say 'all-inclusive'. I am fairly certain even the character set is included, unliked some programs that reach out for a CHARA1 file (i.e. DSKU).

Would you believe that in my draft response I had crafted a question regarding your MDM5 load process??? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Yes - Mass Transfer is as you say 'all-inclusive'. I am fairly certain even the character set is included, unlike some programs that reach out for a CHARA1 file (i.e. DSKU).

Would you believe that in my draft response I had crafted a question regarding your MDM5 load process??? :grin: :grin: :grin:

No, I wouldn't believe it. :twisted:

I'll check out Mass Transfer, Thanks.

The solution for DSKU is easy as long as the character set is already loaded. Find the CHARA1 path in the first sector of the first file and make the length byte zero.

MDM5 is a little tougher. First set up the options so that everyone can use it, all floppies DSDD, 2 hard drives, etc. Save 'em. Disassemble the MDM5 file to find out where it loads the 4 headerless files and find the start address. Now disassemble MDM5 and the 4 headerless files again as all DATA (where'd I learn to do that? :) ) . Put all the data in the appropriate places and assemble as 8k chunks, making sure the first file starts execution with an >0460 to the start address you noted. You end up with the files on the attached disk. Oh, set the path to reload as DSK1 in case you need to use any of the utilities, you'll need a floppy for that.

Gazoo

Change the .txt extension to .dsk

dm5.txt

• Like 1

Done. Version 43 (4.3?) was the one with the highest version number I found on Whtech.

Gazoo

Version 7 may be on WHT. I made a few changes for one of the AA members a year or so ago. If this person wishes to share thoughts on the version differences, I have no problem with that. I did not release the update formally for a few reasons, some which I've since forgotten :skull:

Too bad Telco needs all sorts of extra modules, or we could put it in there too :)

It would be quite a find if we could locate Charles Earl and get the source code to TELCO. A cart could be made to load the modules from the c>6000 banks. I ran TELCO back in the day from Ramdisk and it was quite speedy. Putting it in a cart with the modules paged in at c>6000 would make it 'eversomuchmoreso' quicker. The first person to tell me where 'eversomuchmoreso' comes from gets a free beer from me when we're sitting at the bar together. :)

Gazoo

• Like 2

It would be quite a find if we could locate Charles Earl and get the source code to TELCO. A cart could be made to load the modules from the c>6000 banks. I ran TELCO back in the day from Ramdisk and it was quite speedy. Putting it in a cart with the modules paged in at c>6000 would make it 'eversomuchmoreso' quicker. The first person to tell me where 'eversomuchmoreso' comes from gets a free beer from me when we're sitting at the bar together. :)

Gazoo

Seriously though, that is a FANTASTIC idea, the main program in ROM with the user defined settings in a Super Cart area! I would also like to make one suggestion, give it the ability to save all the RAM data to a backup file in case of glitch or battery failure. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Add me to the list +1

• Like 1

ROMDisk.... - Is a the answer to problems with programs like TELCO that are not designed for CARTRIDGE usage, all tho not as fast as direct >6000 access, but a ROMdisk device loading the sectors from the big large cartridge to your 32K ram expansion just like a real floppy or ramdisk device works nice.

I did that with my POPCart, I designed a small GPL DSR in it that added the device CART. to system, and realy neat program that would scan EA5 programs and find their DSRLNK usage which sadly by default used by people only scan CRUs from >1000 to >1F000 and don't include the fact that GPL can have DSR devices also like CS1. (cassette tape) and patch it to include searching for GROM devices, and then hex-editing or patching the hardcored path from DSK1. or HDS1. to CART. and zippy do-da, you have a ROMdisk, with another neat little coding to find all empty spaces in multicart and finding them up with sector data and mapping them to ROMdisk.

• Like 2

I was wondering if some of you expert assembly programmers could redirect the DSK1 or DSK.TELCO (whatever it looks for) to a small subroutine in ROM that instead would bank to something, and copy the bytes to where Telco wants them, and then pass control back to Telco. :-)

I did that in my first pass of "Editor/Assembler Complete", which stored the EDIT and ASSM files in the GROM, then I created a GROM DSR to load them. Then all I had to do was replace the 'DSK1' with (I think I used 'CART' ;) ). This was easy, though, because EA checks for GPL DSRs. (The DSR itself just checked which filename was being requested, then used a MOVE to copy it into RAM - so it only worked for those three files!) I realized shortly afterwards that since I had source for EA through Thierry's page, I could remove the DSR part and just directly do the MOVEs, which is what the file did. I still have the other code, though, it's based on the cassette DSR.

I actually took a look at Telco, but like Gary says, it needs to be patched to search for GPL DSRs. I don't have enough RS232 implemented in Classic99 to quickly determine whether Telco has a single, centralized DSRLNK function, but if it does, updating that would be pretty straightforward (I was able to trace the first call to load CHARA1 but had trouble tracing the second call ;) ).

I agree it would make a neat cart though. Anyone going to take that on? If not I may add it somewhere into my own backlog... if so I'll buy one ;)

I've gotten a decent amount done on the Grom section of the cart. The Grom carts are in place, and the powerup code and menu screen work. So far only selections A, B, C, & Z are working as they are the Grom selections. Call MENU also works from XB or Basic. I'm developing this on a HSGPL, so I can't test the ROM selections. I'll have to code those 'blind', but they should all be pretty straightforward (unless I really get lost in Memoryeditorville ;) ).

Gazoo

• Like 2