IGNORED

Games with more than 16 colors

Philsan

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

XnView and Irfan-View both report 59 unique colours. Not sure if this is correct, but I guess so.

Now turn off the DLI`s and show the same picture again...

Ah, thank you. So i have to insert just another 6 colors :-)

65 colors sounds nice to me and will beat up my own Amiga version (which had 64 Colors) :grin:

BTW: It is not easy to turn off the DLI, for the reason: there is only ONE DLI, and the code races the beam switching Fonts, moving Player, changing Colors.

So, if i turn off the one and only dli, you will see only one color: black :-)

• Like 3

4 color registers for the playfield.

4 color registers for the players/missiles

1 more color register shared between the playfield and player/missiles.

at any vertical row of the screen a display list interrupt can change any/all the register values, and this can be done multiple times per screen. (down to each scan line if you're determined.)

also, different priority settings let two players' color mix to create three colors.

and priority settings can cause the players/missiles' colors to mix with the playfield, creating new colors... (the total possible colors from priority/playfield/player-missile mixing is 23 colors including the background.)

Then there is page flipping -- swapping between two different graphics patterns/palettes every frame averages the colors together, and can produce even more apparent colors.....

Then there's mixing different GTIA modes, and PAL blending, etc, etc, etc.

There's one point missing.

You can do midline changes of all GTIA Registers.

I know, it's just a "fixed image game" , but uses 100 colours and hires side a side to enhance the screen information.

post-2756-0-35400600-1409898709_thumb.png

• Like 1

I think it is more interesting if the colours are in the main action part of the screen of the game. Those colours in raster bars or static parts of the screen (for me) do not count.

Do NOT count ? hm...

I'd say, you're almost right, but colours in "fixed" ranges of a game screen should count, if they help to enhance the gamedesign.

Colours, that were just added, because of showing "DLIs" should not be added.

Dimo's quest, looks nice, but the DLI colours do not aid the game design, neither were they a part of the action part.

In Rainbow Walker, the colours are a part of the action, so the visual colours count.

And, Admirandus, well, the used colours were to aid the game design , which they do very well.

And, if somewhere in the future may a full Rasta Converter Image Graphics Adventure could arrive, even 256 colours would count with those static pictures.

So the "rule" has a very fluent border ;) , and the Atari has very fluent varieties of creating a technical base for optimising any game visuals.

• Like 1

I think it is more interesting if the colours are in the main action part of the screen of the game. Those colours in raster bars or static parts of the screen (for me) do not count.

Well, 'action part' of screen in my game is starting to get pretty colorful :)

ps. Technically only 4 colors per scanline ...

post-14652-0-32828800-1410425809_thumb.png

• Like 8

Concentration, from the New Aladin disk magazines that Savetz posted the other day, has 23 IIRC. Pretty smartly laid out.

But I don't find Concentration too terribly interesting, especially when (as is the case here) the programmer has prolonged the time it takes to reveal items/graphics after selecting them.

post-6369-0-00433500-1410538600_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Concentration, from the New Aladin disk magazines that Savetz posted the other day, has 23 IIRC. Pretty smartly laid out.

But I don't find Concentration too terribly interesting, especially when (as is the case here) the programmer has prolonged the time it takes to reveal items/graphics after selecting them.

attachicon.gifConcentration.png

Very colorful! Which disk?

attachicon.gifConcentration.png

I was able to load this whole Aladdin part 1-4 to a partition and folder onto a SIDE2 cartridge with Sparta Dos 446 and Concentration seems to play faster than when on DISK or SIO driven.

Took a few minutes to understand all the matching icons, but after a couple of hours the game looses some appeal.