IGNORED

MESS 0.153…The next generation of Atari 7800 emulation

Trebor

Kinda a silly question since HSC support is not added. But what about savekey? Is there some thread that describes how it works?

Here...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/220347-who-has-working-source-code-for-accessing-the-savekey-on-the-7800/?do=findComment&comment=2897966

Additionally, as linked in the above thread...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/176797-bb-atarivox-support-part-1-the-atarivox-eeprom/?do=findComment&comment=2203157

• Like 1

Just a little heads up, there will be a lot more MSX changes in 0.154

Honestly can't state I'm a huge fan of the MSX (More of a Commodore fan, being a damn Yankee with all friends and family having the Vic-20, C64 or C128 at one time or another). ;)

Regardless, you are doing a hell of a lot of work and impressive updates on the MESS driver, Wilbert...Thank you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

WolfMESS 0.153 ...at least that what it is calling itself but I do not see the difference in the programs...both have the Save and Load states disabled...

WolfMESS/MAME is used as a means of capturing and recording games (high scores) without cheating; hence the disabling of save and load states.

Use the official version of MESS/MAME if you wish to utilize save and load states.

If you want MESS with a UI and save/load states - try here.

WolfMESS/MAME is used as a means of capturing and recording games (high scores) without cheating; hence the disabling of save and load states.

Use the official version of MESS/MAME if you wish to utilize save and load states.

If you want MESS with a UI and save/load states - try here.

Actually I put that there for another reason... I am not interested in saving states of any game. But thank you all the same

And that reason was.......?

People aren't mind readers.

there is a person on highscore.com that does not like emulation pictures because of the ability to save states...he is a member here as well so I thought that the pic would be better served in this thread.

• 2 months later...

I think it is a good day to unearth my old account here, step up from my lurker role and advertise the fact that next MESS version will support the High Score cart for A7800 :)

Given that Trebor and other users have requested it since 2008 at least (maybe even earlier), I think it was worth the announcement ;)

0000_548594047.png0001_962802958.png

A small note about the usage:

For the sake of accuracy, the cart is implemented as a passthru cart. this means that you have to specify two file images to run correctly the game (in the main cartslot you put the hiscore cart, then a second cartslot will become available to mount the game).

In conclusion, the correct syntax to launch the games with hiscore support will be e.g.

mess a7800 -cart path\to\hiscore\high_score.a78 -cart2 path\to\games\digdug.a78

(games can be launched also from software lists, for those who use them, shortening it up to e.g. "mess a7800 -cart hiscore -cart2 digdugu")

While working on this, I have also cleaned up a lot the source code (for easier future maintainance), removed the POKEY emulation from the main system (POKEY is only enabled by games which use it) and properly implemented the XM expansion module and the XBoarD expansion as passthru carts, so that you can now test Donkey Kong XM demo by launching

mess a7800 -cart xboard -cart2 path\to\games\dkxm.a78

Also, HSC support in the XM expansion should work as well. To test the demo with HSC support, you need to create a xm.zip file [*] containing the hiscore rom, to put it in the roms/ folder, and then launch

mess a7800 -cart xm -cart2 path\to\games\dkxm_hsc.a78

Enjoy! :)

[*] when you launch "mess a7800 -cart xm" you are turning on a Pro System with the XM expansion attached, which is why you need the zipfile containing the hiscore rom ;)

• Like 5

I think it is a good day to unearth my old account here, step up from my lurker role and advertise the fact that next MESS version will support the High Score cart for A7800 :)

Given that Trebor and other users have requested it since 2008 at least (maybe even earlier), I think it was worth the announcement ;)

More than worth it. Thank you...WOW -

It's like Christmas in August right now for me...LOL. Fantastic work!

Happy to have been of help :)

I'm trying to clean up the driver a little bit more, then I plan to look better to the XM expansion.

The HiScore cart is detected and you can enter your initials

0003_770778767.png

...but the RAM at 0x1000-0x17ff is not written to! so that if I quit the emulation and restart, the score is gone

However, in the standalone HiScore cart everything works fine so it shall not be that part of code at fault... we will see

0000_548594047.png0001_962802958.png

A small note about the usage:

For the sake of accuracy, the cart is implemented as a passthru cart. this means that you have to specify two file images to run correctly the game (in the main cartslot you put the hiscore cart, then a second cartslot will become available to mount the game).

In conclusion, the correct syntax to launch the games with hiscore support will be e.g.

mess a7800 -cart path\to\hiscore\high_score.a78 -cart2 path\to\games\digdug.a78

(games can be launched also from software lists, for those who use them, shortening it up to e.g. "mess a7800 -cart hiscore -cart2 digdugu")

While working on this, I have also cleaned up a lot the source code (for easier future maintainance), removed the POKEY emulation from the main system (POKEY is only enabled by games which use it) and properly implemented the XM expansion module and the XBoarD expansion as passthru carts, so that you can now test Donkey Kong XM demo by launching

mess a7800 -cart xboard -cart2 path\to\games\dkxm.a78

Also, HSC support in the XM expansion should work as well. To test the demo with HSC support, you need to create a xm.zip file [*] containing the hiscore rom, to put it in the roms/ folder, and then launch

mess a7800 -cart xm -cart2 path\to\games\dkxm_hsc.a78

Enjoy! :)

[*] when you launch "mess a7800 -cart xm" you are turning on a Pro System with the XM expansion attached, which is why you need the zipfile containing the hiscore rom ;)

could we get what version you are speaking of...right now I am running .153

MIA is an interesting story.

I ran it in the MESS debugger and found it was reading from write-only registers, and some other odd behaviors. Digging deeper, it seems to be using the TIA player motion and collision registers, apparently as a sort of line-timer or line-check. The lack of this emulation seems to be causing odd memory access.

To get it running properly will require (at the very least) additional TIA emulation code.

To be more precise, MESS emulates TIA as it was two separate chips, i.e. a video chip + a sound chip. Proper emulation would require to merge the code in a single implementation so to handle correctly the registers... For the moment is still a bit out reach, IMHO :(

And ***GRRRR*** I have just realized the instructions I posted above for the HiScore carts were incorrect. Emulation works but you cannot load the A78 file as I stated.

At the moment, the hiscore cart only works if you launch it via the softlist (i.e. you have to strip the 0x80 header off from the A78 file, then zip the resulting 4K file in a hiscore.zip archive to be inserted in the roms/ folder)
The correct command line argument is therefore

mess a7800 -cart hiscore -cart2 path\to\games\digdug.a78

As soon as I manage to identify the A78 version of the cart from the header, I will add support for that one as well.

Sorry for the mistake.

@NIKON: either you download latest svn code from the repository and you compile it by yourself, or you have to wait for some other users to compile it for you (unfortunately, I'm on a Macbook, so I cannot compile the windows version... which I assume it is what you would need ;) )

either you download latest svn code from the repository and you compile it by yourself, or you have to wait for some other users to compile it for you (unfortunately, I'm on a Macbook, so I cannot compile the windows version... which I assume it is what you would need ;) )

What are the requirements to compile it on a Mac besides the latest Xcode? Any special tricks or dependencies to worry about?