IGNORED

Playing Japanese games on PS2, easy way?

I've read that there's a certain disc that you can plug into your N.American PS2 which will allow you to play region locked games...as I don't want to ruin my PS2 by soldering or anything like that, I'd still like to try out the Virtua Cop series which was only released in Europe and Japan.

Does such an option exist?...something that won't damage my PS2? Thanks!

I read about memory card based mods allowing region unlock and ability to run copies/homebrew a long time ago.

But no idea if it applies to all versions of the PS2 or only the original large one - that'd be something you'd want to look into first.

I haven't seen it with just free mcboot--unless I'm using an old version, or just pretty stupid.

I solved it with a flip top mod, so I can pop in a local disc of similar capacity and then swap it with my foreign disc. Generally I do this only once, right before I rip the thing with HDLoader, which might mean that I didn't look for a more efficient way when maybe there is one.

Edited by Reaperman

I have Free Mcboot too and no, it does not provide region bypass. You need a mod chip, do the flip top mod, or get this long skinny tool to trip the drawer switch. Need a swap disc with the last two methods as well. easiest way to play Japanese games is to get a Japanese console I'm afraid.

• Like 1

The easiest way is to buy a Japanese system. The Swap Magic method, while useful, can be a pain, and you have to snap off the front of your fat PS2's disc drive. I'm not sure what it takes to play imports on a slim, without replacing the top shell/drive door with an aftermarket one.

• Like 1

Hmmm...did they make a PS2 slim in Japan?...i would assume so. TO EBAY! :D

Although...it does seem a little overkill to do that, just to play Virtua Cop :D

If that's all you really want to play, you would be better off investing in a Saturn. It had a really solid version of Virtua Cop. If you want Part 2, the Dreamcast has a nice version as well (although the Saturn one is solid, too).

I can't go down the road of more consoles, I just went through a bit of a tear this last month with the Genesis :D (and tracking down a TG16 as well!)...but I think I'd rather Dreamcast it rather than Saturn. I loooooved Crazy Taxi :D ...did Virtua Cop not come out for DC? Just the sequel (my fave, either way)?

Well, the Dreamcast certainly isn't a bad choice either, especially from a space standpoint (smaller system and smaller game cases). Only Virtua Cop 2 came out for it (no part 1), but it's included on the Sega Smash Pack so you get a bunch of Genesis games with it (or you can buy the standalone Japan release). There are also other cool light gun shooters on the system too, the next best (IMO) being House of the Dead 2, then Death Crimson OX, Confidential Mission, and Death Crimson 2 (Japan).

• Like 1

my free mcboot lets me play copies of japanese games on my usa systems but not originals of japanese games.i think thats because of the ESR patch you put on the bootleg games before you burn it to disc.

...how does the free mcboot work? In the end, there's only a few games I'd like to try...no need to start collecting em', so this method seems reasonable.

It sort of allows the system to act as a "soft modded" PS2. It's really easy to load, and basically needs to be installed to a memory card. You can transfer the install files to a USB flash drive and plug it into the front of the PS2 (assuming you have a fat model with the USB ports). Unfortunately I want to say it's more for running things like homebrew and whatever. Doesn't work really for playing imported games (unless like Mark said the games are copied and patched or something like that).

• Like 1

...how does the free mcboot work? In the end, there's only a few games I'd like to try...no need to start collecting em', so this method seems reasonable.

download the free mcboot files,convert them to the memory card via usb stick,and thats pretty much it.there is a lot more to it than that,a lot of instructions to follow.i also remember using my action replay disc with the usb stick to put the info on my memory card.its been a long time ago i did this.i put HD loader on mine,and put a 180 GB hard drive on my PS2 with the network adapter,and i can rip original discs to the hard drive and play them/store them on the HD.i cant rip copies to the HD,it wont read them.only way to play imports is to make/download a copy of it,but you have to patch the downloaded/copied game with a program on your computer called ESR patcher.because if you dont patch the copies/downloaded iso file(game)before you burn it,it wont work.the free mcboot site had all the files to do this back when i modded my fat PS2.

I have FreeMCBoot on my mem card with HD Loader v0.8c. One way to play Japanese PS2 games on NTSC PS2 is to download the game to the hard drive. With this method I was able to play Sega Rally 95 and Sega Rally 2006 which both games were released in Japan only.

PAL games are not so easy, the problem with PAL games lies in the refresh rate and color coding, so the games are "rolling" and in black and white on NTSC systems.

• 2 weeks later...

A mod chip sounds like the 'best' option, but with it installed, can I still play NTSC games? I picked up a used PS2 slim, and now this 'flip lid' switcheroo thing might be an option as the only thing I'm using the spare PS2 for is PAL and gamelink stuff. How tricky is the mod chip install? I hear the innards of a PS2 is packed pretty tight, and after scanning it for access screws, I think they might be hiding under the rubber feet (which one is exposed, it being used...lol, maybe its already been modded, lol).

Thanks again guys.

This thread got me interested in importing on the PS2 again. I have the Magic Slide, but it's a bit of a PITA and it deters me from wanting to use the few imports I have. So, over the weekend I invested in a Japanese PS2 slim. Not the cheapest thing (over $150 for a nice boxed one), however, seeing that the PS2 is one of the last systems to have many worthwhile, English-friendly imports that you can't play easily on a US console, it will be worth it.

• Like 2

All I really wanted to play was Virtua Cop 2, lol...and as you said, I might be better off just going the Sega route for that. But did that come out for Dreamcast? I'm thinking I would rather own a Dreamcast over a Saturn...I've only really played a Saturn a couple of times way back. I just wanna get some of those awesome mid to late 90s arcade games (Virtua Fighter 2, House of the Dead, Virtua Cop) without too much trouble.