IGNORED

Frisky Tom

Tempest

Has anyone ever attempted to fix Frisky Tom so it's more playable? AFAIK the only thing that keeps it from being a great game is that the mice drop WAAAAAY too fast so it's almost impossible to avoid them. This seems like something that would be easy to fix, but I'm not a programmer so I can't really say. Anyone want to take a look at this one?

Debugging someone else's raw assembly is usually a nightmare. 5200BAS doesn't seem up to the task of re-creating the game.

In my opinion a port to a different system may be the answer.

I'm 99% it's either just some variable controlling the speed of the mouse or some small subroutine. I don't think "Do a completely new port on another machine" is a viable solution to the problem.

I'm 99% it's either just some variable controlling the speed of the mouse or some small subroutine. I don't think "Do a completely new port on another machine" is a viable solution to the problem.

Maybe you could use an emulator with debugging capabilities to sort out the speed related variables. Was there ever a "game genie" like device for the 5200?

I had a quick look at the game when you originally posted, but I couldn't figure out how to play it as there were no instructions on atarimania. Had another look tonight and located the instructions the elsewhere.

Not a simple change as it is using a combination of scan line and character row for driving its sprite multiplexer. A falling mouse was incrementing the character row and adding 4 to the scan line in one frame, then adding another 4 to the scan line in the next frame. In my hack it basically adds 1 to the scan line each frame, with some new variables added so that it only updates the character row every 8th frame.

It seems to work ok as far as I have been able to play it.

ft_hack.bin

Does the game still have the chick in the tub?

Funny story: I played this game in a collection for the Super NES, alongside Moon Cresta and Crazy Climber. Feeling a little frisky myself, I reached the cut scene with the lady bathing and turned off the graphic layer containing the suds and water. The guys at Nichibutsu must have been anticipating that, because they drew her in a bikini. Drat, foiled again!

Does the game still have the chick in the tub?

Funny story: I played this game in a collection for the Super NES, alongside Moon Cresta and Crazy Climber. Feeling a little frisky myself, I reached the cut scene with the lady bathing and turned off the graphic layer containing the suds and water. The guys at Nichibutsu must have been anticipating that, because they drew her in a bikini. Drat, foiled again!

Yeah you can see that she has a bikini on if you look through the bubbles. It's FRISKY Tom not RISQUÉ Tom