IGNORED

NES console troubleshooting

Hey there, I'm looking for some advise on my NES. I hooked it up about 18 months ago, after not having it plugged in since maybe 1997 or so.

I'm finding that I'm having lots of difficulties getting the thing to work on a regular basis. It's hard to describe. But it almost seems like the games don't quite "fit" right anymore. There seems to be a little looseness to them once they're put in and pressed down. Sometimes if I place an object inside to steady it, it will play right. But just the slightest jostle and the screen completely glitches.

Is this a common problem? Back in the 80's everything seemed to fit fine. I've also noticed that I don't seem to have the problem with The Legend Of Zelda or The Adventure Of Link. Those game seems somewhat "thicker" and tend to fit a lot more tighter.

I'd like to get this problem fixed. And I'm leaning toward just going on Craigslist and picking up a new (used) one cheap. But if this is a common problem for all consoles 25 years old, I'd rather not.

Any suggestions? Are there newer NES consoles out there for purchase? I noticed on some other forum that someone is developing a brand new HDMI NES that looks pretty cool. But I don't think it's out yet.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've retightened the connector pins and disabled the lockout chip on several.

Not hard: just need to take it apart, spend 20 minutes on the pins, clip the chip, and reassemble. I also took the opportunity to clean the connector in my ultrasonic cleaner.

Fixed 'em good!

P.S. I've also heard the replacement connectors are sometimes inferior to the originals.

Keep it simple..

Wait until you get everything working correctly First.. then do your mods. Too many mods all at the same time is a recipe for disaster if you don't know what you're doing.

On my NES, I simply installed a new connector and clipped one pin on that lockout chip (pin 4 IIRC). Piece of cake. :D

However, do your research and look at many pictures/videos,etc to get the "full picture" on what to do. Check out some YouTube videos for sure, this site is also a gold mine of information so search around. Lots to learn! ;)

Good Luck to you

I hadn't heard about the lockout chip causing problems either, but now things are starting to make sense. A little while ago I disabled the lockout chip on one of my NES consoles so I could play some North American imports, and after I did it seemed to be easier to get games to work on it. (I thought it was just down to how tightly I put the console back together.)

A trick I use for loose cartridges is to place my two index fingers on the very edge of the inserted cartridge and nudge it gently back and forth until it is more firmly in place. Whether this is good practise or not I don't know, but it does seem to be effective.

Here's what's being discussed if it helps:

The lockout chip is a security measure designed by Nintendo to keep unauthorized software from running on its machine. Problem is, it makes the system finicky about running everything. Remove the chip (or just that one leg) and it's no longer an issue.

The 72 pin connector is what holds the pins of the cartridge to the data pins inside the NES. It's notorious for breaking down over time, and is a big reason that NES cartridges are so hard to start. Tightening the pins can help- or hurt- and replacing the connectors can be tricky, since the aftermarket ones aren't as reliable as Nintendo's.

I love the NES- it was part of my childhood!- but the original front loading model is the most unreliable piece of hardware Nintendo ever made. Hours of blowing into cartridges could have been saved if Nintendo had gone with a more sensible design.

I watched a couple of videos on Youtube, and seem to have an understanding of it all. But it looks like a lot of work - tons of screws. I don't know if I trust myself to be able to get it all back together again. Especially since some people say that even after doing these things they still had problems - that it may simply come down to having clean games. Perhaps I should simply break out the rubbing alcohol and Q-tips and give each game a very thorough cleaning. Is that the generally accepted cleaning method?

Of course I'm also tempted to just buy a refurbished console that someone else did.

Perhaps I should simply break out the rubbing alcohol and Q-tips and give each game a very thorough cleaning. Is that the generally accepted cleaning method?

Yes, absolutely. That should be your first move. But only 90% or higher. Any lower purity than that and you might as well spit-shine the contacts. Edited by Rex Dart
  • Like 1

I watched a couple of videos on Youtube, and seem to have an understanding of it all. But it looks like a lot of work - tons of screws. I don't know if I trust myself to be able to get it all back together again. Especially since some people say that even after doing these things they still had problems - that it may simply come down to having clean games. Perhaps I should simply break out the rubbing alcohol and Q-tips and give each game a very thorough cleaning. Is that the generally accepted cleaning method?

Of course I'm also tempted to just buy a refurbished console that someone else did.

You can actually just bend the pins on the 72 pin connector instead of buying a new one, but replacing is less of a hassle. When the contacts are tight, you won't even have to push the cart down any longer.

The chinese replacement pin connectors are of iffy quality. They can overly tight, making it hard to insert and remove games, and are sometimes so tight they angle when you depress the cart and fail to work. Try to refurbish your original first. Boiling and baking will be less destructive than bending the pins, so do that first.

For cleaning carts, isopropyl alcohol is OK, but a real electronics cleaner will have a non-polar solvent that can solubilize material alcohol won't. Best option is Caig deoxit, but Radio Shack still carries some "TV tuner cleaner" that works well too. Even contact cleaner from the auto parts store is a good option. Try cleaning a cart with isopropanol until it's squeaky clean, then clean it with contact cleaner. You'll see the difference. If that's not enough, a pencil eraser can physically remove tarnish from the pins.

Yes, the lockout chip should generally be disabled. There are no downsides to the operation, and it's very easy. Snip one leg of one chip and you're done. However, this only prevents the "blinkies". If the screen is blinking when the NES is on, you can expect clipping the chip to help. If it's a solid color, or displays garbage, it's not the chip.

Disassembling the console and disabling the chip is extremely easy. Even I was able to do it with help of a YT tutorial. And I can't tell the handle of a soldering iron from its business end.

All the screws are the same, except for two on the pin connector, which are slightly longer. And remembering where those go should be easy enough.