IGNORED

Punch-Out for the 7800

7800Lover

The only boxing game for the Atari 7800 is Fight Fight. Your mileage may vary as to whether or not that's a good game.

What I'm proposing is somehow adapting a Punch-Out style boxing game to the Atari 7800. It could be a first person perspective, either a transparent frame boxer (like Punch Out arcade) or a small fighter against a big opponent (like NES Punch Out).

118124215494.png1181242137360.png

Granted the 7800 doesn't have the power of the NES or an arcade machine...still, could a Punch-Out style game be pulled off for the 7800?

• Like 3

...Granted the 7800 doesn't have the power of the NES or an arcade machine...still, could a Punch-Out style game be pulled off for the 7800?

I'm pretty sure it could be done with some obvious limitations (when comparing to the arcade)...the better question is, are you planning on programming it?

I'm pretty sure it could be done with some obvious limitations (when comparing to the arcade)...the better question is, are you planning on programming it?

I'm not really a tech head; programming is beyond my capability.

If someone does want to take on the challenge, I'm more than willing to help in other ways; I could assist in getting the word out and garnering support.

I work as a freelance artist and could come up with ideas for the boxers. We might even have to develop original characters for this Punch Out idea, should it be pursued. Remember what happened with Princess Rescue? The last thing we want to do is run afoul of any trademark issues.

• Like 1

The only boxing game for the Atari 7800 is Fight Fight. Your mileage may vary as to whether or not that's a good game.

What I'm proposing is somehow adapting a Punch-Out style boxing game to the Atari 7800. It could be a first person perspective, either a transparent frame boxer (like Punch Out arcade) or a small fighter against a big opponent (like NES Punch Out).

Granted the 7800 doesn't have the power of the NES or an arcade machine...still, could a Punch-Out style game be pulled off for the 7800?

Yes. You can do it yourself using BASIC

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/222638-7800basic-01beta-perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good-release/

While I do think this thread falls into the peddling of idea's category which is REALLY frowned upon,

I would buy a nes style of punch out for the 7800 in a heartbeat. Not so big on the arcade look though.

I'd lay down $50 for a cart if it was a nice enough rendition of punch out. While that KO Cruiser game

was interesting on the 2600 it wasn't close enough to be a punch out for me personally, mostly cause

you can only get so much out of the 2600 visually, the 7800 has many more possibilities to look

much nicer in the right hands.

The arcade version of Punch-Out is meh while the NES version is sublime. Not to throw down a NES fanboy gauntlet or anything, but I just can't see a serviceable 7800 port of this game ever happening with the games I've seen on the system. I'd LOVE to be very wrong, though, as I have started playing (and kinda collecting for) the 7800 and really enjoy it.

The arcade version of Punch-Out is meh while the NES version is sublime. Not to throw down a NES fanboy gauntlet or anything, but I just can't see a serviceable 7800 port of this game ever happening with the games I've seen on the system. I'd LOVE to be very wrong, though, as I have started playing (and kinda collecting for) the 7800 and really enjoy it.

I can't wrap my head around this statement. The arcade version was way ahead of it's time, the graphics and sound are top notch, and the (re)playability is off the charts.

The NES version is a low rent, corny-looking, midget player character-vs.-poorly drawn boxer graphics slopfest. The only reason people liked it was because of the cheat codes.

• Like 3

While I do think this thread falls into the peddling of idea's category which is REALLY frowned upon,

I would buy a nes style of punch out for the 7800 in a heartbeat. Not so big on the arcade look though.

I'd lay down $50 for a cart if it was a nice enough rendition of punch out. While that KO Cruiser game

was interesting on the 2600 it wasn't close enough to be a punch out for me personally, mostly cause

you can only get so much out of the 2600 visually, the 7800 has many more possibilities to look

much nicer in the right hands.

Maybe back in the day, but not from what I've seen. I know there's a big nasty-no-no thread about it in the homebrew section, but these kinds of conversations over here in the 7800 forum tend to be civil and positive. Maybe we should keep it that way.

• Like 2

I think the opinion the 7800 was less powerful is just that. The machines have completely different methods of displaying graphics. Different tradeoffs and advantages.

• Like 5

I think the opinion the 7800 was less powerful is just that. The machines have completely different methods of displaying graphics. Different tradeoffs and advantages.

Agreed. My own thought is that the arcade version could be done pretty well on the 7800, let alone the NES version. While the NES beats the 7800 for tile based ability, the 7800 is a beast for sprites. Looking at the fighters, they could easily be decomposed into rows of 3 color sprites.

[edit] Eric Ball did a great NES/7800 comparison here.

Edited by RevEng

I can't wrap my head around this statement. The arcade version was way ahead of it's time, the graphics and sound are top notch, and the (re)playability is off the charts.

The NES version is a low rent, corny-looking, midget player character-vs.-poorly drawn boxer graphics slopfest. The only reason people liked it was because of the cheat codes.

As iconic as the 007 Tyson code is, I think it's safe to say that the lasting appeal of the Punch-Out goes well beyond its codes.

Out of curiosity, ColecoGemini, how far did you get on the NES version?

For what it's worth, according to Hardcore Gaming 101 Punch-Out required a special chip to use the large characters in the game:

Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! is the only NES game to use the MMC2 chip. (MMCs were memory mapper chips that allowed the system to pull off effects that would otherwise be impossible for the NES.) This allowed for the huge characters seen in the game. The Japanese version uses the MMC4, although it's not clear why it uses a different chip, because there aren't any immediately noticeable differences. In fact, the whole game is still in English, even referencing the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter, which didn't exist in Japan. A few other Japanese games, like Fire Emblem, also use the MMC4 chip.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/punchout/punchout2.htm

As iconic as the 007 Tyson code is, I think it's safe to say that the lasting appeal of the Punch-Out goes well beyond its codes.

Out of curiosity, ColecoGemini, how far did you get on the NES version?

I'd only ever played it in tiny amounts at friends houses. I never owned a NES. I had a 7800 and the SMS. Never really liked the NES. The games mostly were cheap looking/ playing. And the thing was always dead/ not working any time I visited friends houses. Sorry, not much of a NES fan.