Photo

My Magical Rainbow Unicorn Pony sighting at Midwest Gaming Classic

44 replies to this topic

#1 bikeguychicago OFFLINE  

bikeguychicago

Stargunner

• 1,281 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:22 AM

It exists and I played it at the Midwest Gaming Classic over the weekend: The Tutorvision!

The system was running a game called Map Mazes. In the game one has to perform certain tasks -- such as visiting different locations or finding animals that had escaped from the zoo. There were three different variations of the game on the cart, with different levels of complexity. Since the game (and system) were intended for kids, none of the variations are all that difficult. 

In regards to the system itself, it most resembles the original 2609 console molded in a light gray plastic. The console has gold nameplates and blue accents on the controller. As for the controller itself, it features a bubble keypad vs. flat ones used in the Intv II and System III. The plastic of the controllers is also slightly smoother than the original (using a glossy plastic vs. the textured plastic of the original). The button placement, disc and controls themselves are pretty much the same as the Intellivision I. 

med_gallery_30607_1138_322248.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_276171.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_398516.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_368136.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_253175.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_1127402.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_209162.jpg

med_gallery_30607_1138_1466101.jpg

#2 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,744 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:36 AM

Sweet mother of all that is holy! Who owned it? Was it the guy from Chicago that found it at a yard sale I think? Did you get a bit of a chubby seeing it in person? :)

#3 bikeguychicago OFFLINE  

bikeguychicago

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,281 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 AM

If I were to guess, I would say it was the one owned by the Chicago guy as the BSR printout that was placed on top of the unit referenced him. There was no one around to ask about it so I wasn't able to find out more.

It was displayed as part of the console/computer museum and locked down via the acrylic cover. The controller was sticking out of the cover, allowing one to try out the system. 

Aside from this, the biggest surprise for me in that area was a CoCo3 running a version of Donkey Kong that was near arcade perfect in both sound and graphics. From what I remember of those computers (at least the CoCo2) a port like that shouldn't be possible.

Sadly, there were no Keyboard Components to be found.

EDIT: I found a couple of links for the CoCo3 Donkey Kong

Edited by bikeguychicago, Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 AM.

#4 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 6,201 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:24 AM

There was no one around to ask about it so...

...it is now in bikeguychicago's game room! :P

#5 Chuck Gill OFFLINE  

Chuck Gill

Moonsweeper

• 333 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't in the room when you were checking it out. The TutorVision referenced in the BSR paper was Ted Brunner's, he found his in a thrift shop in Skokie, IL a few years before I found mine.

I found this one with two TutorVision cartridges in Batavia, IL in 2005 at a garage sale.

-Chuck 

#6 bikeguychicago OFFLINE  

bikeguychicago

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,281 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 PM

Chuck, 

Nice find! I wish I was that fortunate with garage sales and/or estate sales. The best I came across so far was a Tomy Tutor unit (which I passed on).

Do you have any video or pictures of either of the games? I'm sure the rest of the group would be interested. Also, out of curiosity, have you tried playing any Intellivision games on it as well?

#7 Fushek ONLINE  

Fushek

Stargunner

• 1,544 posts
  • Actively Seeking Spiker!

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:48 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't in the room when you were checking it out. The TutorVision referenced in the BSR paper was Ted Brunner's, he found his in a thrift shop in Skokie, IL a few years before I found mine.

I found this one with two TutorVision cartridges in Batavia, IL in 2005 at a garage sale.

-Chuck 

Congrats on this awesome find.  There are many here that would love to know more about the unit.  If you ever get a chance, we'd love to see some more pictures and/or comments of any of the features that you could put together. 

A video of the system at work would be great as well!

#8 Oscar G. OFFLINE  

Oscar G.

Stargunner

• 1,337 posts
  • Intellinaut

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:19 PM

Wow! This is stuff of legends. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, more stories and pictures of this interesting systems would be great. Cheers.

#9 hiphopopotamus OFFLINE  

hiphopopotamus

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:11 PM

I had the opportunity to play this while i was there too, really interesting stuff. I also talked to the guy that owned it for a little bit, he was a really nice guy.

#10 IntellivisionDude OFFLINE  

IntellivisionDude

River Patroller

• 3,625 posts
  • INTV Brotherhood Member

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:14 PM

I had the opportunity to play this while i was there too, really interesting stuff. I also talked to the guy that owned it for a little bit, he was a really nice guy.

You are so lucky Sam. ^   :-o

#11 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,744 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:35 PM

-Chuck 

Congrats Chuck, I remember reading about your find before. Absolutely the best garage sale find ever. That said, when you tire of it or feel like funding a holiday, I am but a PM away. Seriously. :)

#12 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

Stargunner

• 1,906 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:41 PM

Thanks for the post!  Love the opportunity to see it (even if it is only secondhand).  Very cool of the owner to display it at the show and allow access to it.  Something that rare, I'm not sure I would be as cool. :P

#13 Rev OFFLINE  

Rev

A.K.A. Revolutionika

• 15,816 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:24 PM

Cool stuff!

#14 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,400 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:31 PM

PM me if you tire if it and want US currency for it. :-P

#15 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,744 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:18 PM

PM me if you tire if it and want US currency for it. :-P

Lol! I'm pretty sure my Paypal account sends US$. :-D

#16 bennybingo OFFLINE  

bennybingo

Quadrunner

• 6,201 posts
  • Wasting my life...one Shatner at a time.

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:24 PM

***Click to animate

Mo Money Mo SHATNER.gif

#17 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,400 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 PM

Yes, they convert Canadian $ to US $ but they still leave it in metric.  What's more American than trying to calculate how many fluid ounces go into 6 cubic feet of pennies (1232 fluid oz, of course)?  ;)

#18 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,974 posts
  • If it is not fun move away slowly.

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:11 PM

Yes, they convert Canadian $ to US $ but they still leave it in metric.  What's more American than trying to calculate how many fluid ounces go into 6 cubic feet of pennies (1232 fluid oz, of course)?  ;)

You had me at Imperial Gallon.

#19 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,974 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:17 PM

http://www.trademark...k-74009540.html

World Book being Chicago based that seems like the only place you might find fun besides Southern California.

#20 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,400 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 PM

All joking aside, thanks for posting these photos.  These are really, really cool to see.

#21 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,903 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:05 PM

ah, but if you were to melt those pennies, what would the approximate dynamic viscosity be? Please give your answer in slugs/foot-second.

#22 SoulBuster OFFLINE  

SoulBuster

River Patroller

• 2,219 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 PM

If you actually melted pennies, the copper is worth more than the pennies.

#23 BBWW OFFLINE  

BBWW

River Patroller

• 2,974 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 PM

Only the copper ones. :-) Not sure about the zinc ones.

#24 Chuck Gill OFFLINE  

Chuck Gill

Moonsweeper

• 333 posts

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 AM

I already promised someone the first chance to buy it from me if and when I decide to sell it. I was asked to bring it back to the MGC in 2015, and I intend to do that.

What would you all like to see pictures of?

-Chuck

#25 Chuck Gill OFFLINE  

Chuck Gill

Moonsweeper

• 333 posts

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:39 AM

Thanks for the post!  Love the opportunity to see it (even if it is only secondhand).  Very cool of the owner to display it at the show and allow access to it.  Something that rare, I'm not sure I would be as cool. :P

Atari_Bill, The room we were in had a lot of rare items. The only Intellivision besides mine had the piano keyboard, which was pretty cool.

I was lusting after an Atari Video Music and The only Atari Game Brain I have ever seen.

-Chuck

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users