IGNORED

I Feel Like The Luckiest 5200 Owner On The Planet

kamakazi

OK. This is the first 5200 game I have ever been this excited about. EVER! After ordering it I was wanting snail-mail to use turbo, or something, to get the package containing my special cargo in my hands yesterday (figure of speech). It arrived quicker than usual so I have to give them thumbs up on that. The sole intentions were so I could play a game that Atari never released (one of many great 5200 titles that SHOULD have been released).

Well...it's here!

post-18904-0-06215100-1397496666_thumb.jpg

First of all I have not seen such great care put into a game's details like this since the Atari, Inc era. Times like that were not just about the games. They were also about the little extras that made the games exciting. The box art, story line, physical appearance. Aspects like that are long gone. I want to personally thank the original programmer, and those who put a hand in, for finishing a game that should have been here in the first place. But now I've ran into a problem. After seeing how the game was packaged I almost don't want to open it.

It's too bad that other 5200 prototypes (Millipede, Super Pac-Man, Jr. Pac-Man) have not received the same care to bring them into a 5200 owner's hands with this same amount of detail. I know those mentioned have been reproduced but it's not the same as the care that Tempest has been blessed with.

Thanks again to those responsible for bringing Tempest to the public the way it was originally intended.

• Like 1

Will be interested in hearing what you think of Tempest, especially how it controls and what controller you use.

I have a Wico and wonder how the control would be.

I'd rather a boxless version, but in time - and if the feedback is good - I may just say screw it and get it boxed.

• Like 1

I finally opened it. I couldn't resist any longer. And I feel as if I just brought home the arcade cabinet. This game is freaking amazing!! Plus side: everything the arcade was about is sitting right in front of me inside a tiny plastic cartridge. Downside: This game really shows just how worn out my 5200 controller really is. It's not so obvious in other 5200 games. This game ROCKS and is everything the 5200 is about.

@travistouchdown The cycle has been completed. And I couldn't be more happier (other than getting more 5200 games of this nature).

@Brian R. Get the boxed version! It's worth every penny.

I've a spare set of 2600 paddle controllers. I wonder if those pots will work in a 5200 controller.

"Seek a Trak-Ball controller, you must. Yes."

Edited by kamakazi

@AtariLeaf HAHA! Guess there's a first time for everything. I've always considered the 5200 a great console and it remains my all-time favorite. I like the NES, and other Atari consoles but I'm right at home on the 5200. I still believe Atari should have stuck with the Personal Arcade Machine name because almost all the 5200's games are arcade ports of good games. Tempest was a much-needed title in the 5200's line-up. Now that it is I hope that it will open the doors for more great arcade games that the 5200 should have received but never did.

So, yea, I hold my head up high when I say I am the luckiest 5200 owner on the planet, period. :)

• Like 1

Anybody playing it with a trackball? Seems the next best thing to the actual arcade game, but then I've only played the arcade (and the digitally-controlled home imitations).

Seems that I have to throw $100 at an Atari system to get it to play Tempest, so I'm wondering if that should be spent on the Jaguar (rotary controller) or 5200 (game and trackball).

I don't own a 5200 Trak-Ball controller yet. I had one years ago but it got lost during a move when I was a kid. I will say that some of the 5200 games played much better with that controller over the standard controller. Centipede and Missile Command quickly come to mind. For me the 5200 is the way to go. The Trak-Ball is solid with the exception of the fire buttons which, to me, felt a bit mushy even when brand new.

Anybody playing it with a trackball? Seems the next best thing to the actual arcade game, but then I've only played the arcade (and the digitally-controlled home imitations).

Seems that I have to throw $100 at an Atari system to get it to play Tempest, so I'm wondering if that should be spent on the Jaguar (rotary controller) or 5200 (game and trackball).

Tempest on the 5200 is best played with a trackball. It is very well done.

ive never played it on a 5200 how is the control?

ive played it on arcade with a spinner and its basically left or right but it really feels like you control where it goes

i dont know why people would want to play it with a paddle since you would get stuck when it tops and bottoms out

what we really need is the indy500 driving controller

the only game i know that is close is gyruss it feels good

Even with the standard joystick the controls are actually very well done as has already been mentioned. It would be neat to have a rotary controller. However, I feel that the joystick and trackball controller are all the 5200 really needs. Just my opinion. Imagine playing Tempest using Gyruss controls and you have 5200 Tempest...only better!

so does it just detect left and right and treats it like clockwise counter clockwise

if you cant rotate the stick and have it match the screen it doesnt seem like its done right

3 oclock on the stick should put it at 3 6 at 6 9 ant 9 12 at 12 and all points in between

if its just left and right it might as well be axis assassin

Edited by bohoki

so does it just detect left and right and treats it like clockwise counter clockwise

if you cant rotate the stick and have it match the screen it doesnt seem like its done right

3 oclock on the stick should put it at 3 6 at 6 9 ant 9 12 at 12 and all points in between

"Just left and right" is how Tempest works. But yeah, it would've been cool to see your idea included as "beginner mode".

It controls great with stick or trak-ball. I prefer the stick because my arms get tired rolling after a while, but regardless, you can creep along the webs slowly or rocket around full-blast. My Trak-ball needs some T.L.C., it doesn't pick up movement that well anymore.

This is how some ports of Gyruss do it, and I have to say that I've never been fond of those control schemes. If you're at 12 o clock, what direction will you go if you press 6 o clock, left or right? In that control scheme you always have to remember to press 3 or 9 o clock in those situations first or slide the stick in a half circle motion. I've just never liked that. It always feels awkward.

With pure left and right it's true that there can be occasional confusion at the top of a ring about which direction the side directions will take you, but it's really very simple. Spin clockwise and you'll go clockwise. Spin counterclockwise and you'll go counterclockwise. There's no worry about having to hit an intermediary position if you're wanting to shift to one side of the ring or the other.

I can understand why some people want the clock position control scheme, but then again in Tempest you don't always have closed webs.

This is how some ports of Gyruss do it, and I have to say that I've never been fond of those control schemes. If you're at 12 o clock, what direction will you go if you press 6 o clock, left or right? In that control scheme you always have to remember to press 3 or 9 o clock in those situations first or slide the stick in a half circle motion. I've just never liked that. It always feels awkward.

With pure left and right it's true that there can be occasional confusion at the top of a ring about which direction the side directions will take you, but it's really very simple. Spin clockwise and you'll go clockwise. Spin counterclockwise and you'll go counterclockwise. There's no worry about having to hit an intermediary position if you're wanting to shift to one side of the ring or the other.

I can understand why some people want the clock position control scheme, but then again in Tempest you don't always have closed webs.

It is this reason why I like the "left and right" control method better than the clock-style controls. IF the 5200 had actually received a rotary controller similar to what the arcade version of Tempest received then, yes, I would have expected 5200 Tempest to follow in those footsteps. Considering that not every 5200 owner would have had a 5200 rotary controller (hypothetically speaking) I would have still expected the "left and right" control scheme to be present for those stuck with standard controllers.

I guess this is just a choice of preference. If the only control style of Tempest that is acceptable is the arcade rotary controller then by all means, if you can afford it, stick with the arcade cabinet. The 2600 was fortunate to have had the driving controller even if only one game ever made use of it (waste of hardware if you ask me but it was a cool controller). The 5200, however, had analog controls. 5200 owners are stuck with either the standard controls or a Trak-Ball. That's it. Being limited to these two controllers, I feel, gives the games an added learning curve to harness the controllers and the control scheme to each 5200 game on an individual basis. I love my 5200, the controllers, and everything else about it. I don't mind the "left and right" control scheme as long as it is reasonably done and responds well. I still play those where the controls are some what weird and mediocre because its a 5200 game.