IGNORED

INTV Best Game of All Times - Round 1 - 5/25 (all IMAGIC)

vprette

What is the best game in the list  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Vote the best INTV game from the following list (all IMAGIC games!)

• Microsurgeon (Imagic)
    • Dragonfire (Imagic)
    • Fathom (Imagic)
    • Beauty & Beast (Imagic)
    • Tropical Trouble (Imagic)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

But typically in a single elimination you seed it with the predicted-to-be-strongest entrants against the predicted-to-be-weakest entrants, so the first at least has clear victories or clear upsets.

When you put several strong games together in one group, only one survives, when maybe all of those games (or a large subset) deserve to be in the final round. :-) It's probably fine for determining an overall global "best", but it won't give you a reliable indicator of "second place."

I agree with Intvnut as you have to have "seeded entries" to make the system fairer. At least this is the method that is used to make the groups in the FIFA World Cup.

Each group in the World Coup has a strong team, with a couple of middle ones and a weaker one. In this way the strong teams will not eliminate each other in the first round. In order to "seed" the teams the FIFA world rankings are used.

For the Intellivision poll the rankings of Video Game Critic or INTV Funhouse could be used to make the groups.

For instance, each group will have an A+ rated game as top of the group and the rest of the group should be complemented with B, C and D (or lower) type of games.

The predicted strong games may pass to the next round but there might be surprises.

Of course, the polls are already running and we are all having fun voting right now. But we may consider seeded entries in the future. :)

Cheers and thank you for organising this fun event!

I agree with Intvnut as you have to have "seeded entries" to make the system fairer. At least this is the method that is used to make the groups in the FIFA World Cup.

Each group in the World Coup has a strong team, with a couple of middle ones and a weaker one. In this way the strong teams will not eliminate each other in the first round. In order to "seed" the teams the FIFA world rankings are used.

For the Intellivision poll the rankings of Video Game Critic or INTV Funhouse could be used to make the groups.

For instance, each group will have an A+ rated game as top of the group and the rest of the group should be complemented with B, C and D (or lower) type of games.

The predicted strong games may pass to the next round but there might be surprises.

Of course, the polls are already running and we are all having fun voting right now. But we may consider seeded entries in the future. :)

Cheers and thank you for organising this fun event!

I'm already trying to use thos criteria, but I also have to put similar games in the same pool...

I will have a bigger pool woth all the remaing board and learning game togheter, and couple of strongest pool with only 4 titles to avoid weak titles goes to second run...

but in fact.... there few bad gaems and LOT of good games... so most of the pools appear strong to you... .-)

also, I definitely send to round 2 two games of teh same pool IF teh finish with same votes or only 1 vote difference

Edited by vprette

I'm already trying to use thos criteria, but I also have to put similar games in the same pool...

I will have a bigger pool woth all the remaing board and learning game togheter, and couple of strongest pool with only 4 titles to avoid weak titles goes to second run...

but in fact.... there few bad gaems and LOT of good games... so most of the pools appear strong to you... .-)

also, I definitely send to round 2 two games of teh same pool IF teh finish with same votes or only 1 vote difference

I agree… the density of good games is so high in the Intellivision that there may be "Death Groups" all over the polls.

In the Fifa World Cup a "Death Group" is a group consisting in many stronger teams.

Thanks anyway for organising the poll and for your efforts to make it fairer and (more importantly) fun for everyone.

Cheers!

You know what could have avoided all this complexity? Putting all games by genre on a single round. :P

If you are so intent in spreading it over multiple rounds for the sake of delaying gratification, then you could split the rounds by genre and have every one vote for their favourite game of all times within each category. Then at the very end, you pit all the category winners to see which one got the most votes over all, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

Just an idea for the next time.

-dZ.

Maybe you take the top 25 which obviously go through and then add to that another 15-25 second/third place finishers based on # of votes to get yourself to a top 40 or 50. You are in essence going from 125 down to 50 or 40 in 1st round which I think makes sense and is a steep cut for Round 1. Being as passionate as we are and with the excellent library going to 25 on one swoop is to difficult and this gives great games a second chance.

I think Joe has a point, I'd be interested in seeing some of those second place games which received significant votes making it to the next round. Maybe I can go play back to back some of my tougher choices and see if my original gut feeling changes with some recent game play. As dZ mentioned I don't think there's any rush for us to get to the end, there's some value in delayed gratification, as opposed to Rev's 30 second Friday nights. :)

But typically in a single elimination you seed it with the predicted-to-be-strongest entrants against the predicted-to-be-weakest entrants, so the first at least has clear victories or clear upsets.

When you put several strong games together in one group, only one survives, when maybe all of those games (or a large subset) deserve to be in the final round. :-) It's probably fine for determining an overall global "best", but it won't give you a reliable indicator of "second place."

Seeding would be nice but would require much more thought ... at the end of the day, it all comes down to the immortal words of Mr. Custard in the move Clue:

"This is war, Peacock. Casualties are inevitable. You can not make an omelet without breaking eggs, every cook will tell you that."

Poor Microsurgeon. At least a totally unique concept not some Donkey clone... :thumbsdown:

Agreed -- I voted for Microsurgeon. Beauty & the Beast is a pretty good game, but I'm always surprised by how many people prefer the arcade-style titles on the Intellivision; to my mind, the Inty's big strength is in games like Microsurgeon, not twitch gameplay.

Agreed -- I voted for Microsurgeon. Beauty & the Beast is a pretty good game, but I'm always surprised by how many people prefer the arcade-style titles on the Intellivision; to my mind, the Inty's big strength is in games like Microsurgeon, not twitch gameplay.

agree, arcade games not the best of inty, microsurgeon is a underrated game, but I'm happy to see it receive several votes here

Well I like Microsurgeon to - remember my dad getting me that, Truckin', & 4 others at a Rutherford, NJ sidewalk sale for $10 each - definitely got some game play from me, but Beauty & The Beast was an awesome and very playable game. Also looks like Microsurgeon getting plenty of respect as it has more votes now by 2 then 3rd through 5th place finishers.

Joe you got me here!

Truckin' was a great game if you put the time into it.

and Beauty & The Beast was a fun and very fast paced and fluid game.

I loved the Imagic line for the Intellivision!

Tropical Trouble, Fathom, Demon Attack.....all good games!

I think Joe has a point, I'd be interested in seeing some of those second place games which received significant votes making it to the next round. Maybe I can go play back to back some of my tougher choices and see if my original gut feeling changes with some recent game play. As dZ mentioned I don't think there's any rush for us to get to the end, there's some value in delayed gratification

I'm looking forward to playing games in round two as I vote. These pools have gotten me motivated and I've got all my Inty stuff out and ready to play. Thanks to you cmart, I have a lot more of the actual carts to try.

I'm looking forward to playing games in round two as I vote. These pools have gotten me motivated and I've got all my Inty stuff out and ready to play. Thanks to you cmart, I have a lot more of the actual carts to try.

Excellent! Have fun!

• Like 1

wolfy62 agree 100% that Imagic was awesome! Want to revisit Truckin' & also play Fathom as I never gave it to much time. Is there an ending to Fathom or do 7 boards repeat? Also want to give Ice Trek, Nova Blast and others that I didn't play much some love.

Nova Blast and Ice Trek are both great.

I need to unwrap my Ice Trek! and play it.