IGNORED

Incognito Questions

Tempest

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I did a quick search, but I could have missed something.

I installed my Incognito board last year and played around with it for a bit before real life hit and I had to put it away for a bit. Now I have more time to spend with it, but I've been out of the loop and forgotten a few things, so I have a few questions:

1. Was the firmware updated? If so, how do I update it? Is it just one firmware update for the whole board or are there separate updates for each of the features like SIDE?

2. Can the SIDE loader support rom files yet or is it sill just disk and XEX files? I'm looking for a way to get all my cartridges onto the Incognito so I can put them away.

3. Assuming I can ever get my hands on one, can the VBXE be used with the Incognito?

1. Yes it was, and you'll need a suitable JTAG cable and (free) software on the PC to install it. Most recent fix was to enable BIOS update flasher to run from XEX loader, so if that's not essential to you, the upgrade might not be critical. A single logic update takes care of the whole board.

2. It's "just" ATRs and executables.

3. If you can figure out a way to fit a VBXE into in 800, then yes, it's possible.

I guess I'll have to find someone local with a JTAG cable then. Thanks for the info.

Sorry about the "just" comment, I didn't mean any offense. SIDE is a great piece of software. I was just hoping that I could load BIN and ROM files since the 800 can't use a My IDE II and the MaxFlash cart doesn't support 16K roms. Is there another solution other than trying to find working XEX versions?

Don't some of the new "Mega" carts permit the creation of massive multi-cart workbooks with menus? I'm not too sure, TBH: I don't always keep up with these things. The one thing I found impressive about MyIDE II was the way it can run a cart ROM image from disk - it's a handy feature. I think Candle was pondering the cart question a while back, but since requests for cart handling have been few and far between and since (it's been asserted) there are XEX versions of "most" titles, I have no idea whether anything will happen in that department.

You'd better check the JTAG pinouts, since there are lots of different variations and you want to get the right one. :)

I think Candle was pondering the cart question a while back, but since requests for cart handling have been few and far between and since (it's been asserted) there are XEX versions of "most" titles, I have no idea whether anything will happen in that department.

I've found XEX versions of most of the games, but I haven't had a chance to try them all in depth and I've had several that looked like they worked and crashed after playing for a bit. Of course then there all my prototype roms that have never been converted to XEX.

Don't some of the new "Mega" carts permit the creation of massive multi-cart workbooks with menus?

Maybe. I've only looked into the AtariMax stuff. Is there any in particular you can point me to?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/

The last cart you'll ever need :)

Yes, that's 128MB.

Does it work on the 800? I see a few posts that say no.

I love my 800 and all, but I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off getting a My IDE II and using my 800XL instead. The Incognito almost seems like too much power since I mostly play cartridge games with a handful of disk titles. :)

Tempest, cardridge support was added a year ago - it's of limited use, as i said before - mostly to the copy protection code rom versions tends to have, but at least you cal load 8/16k images - i've patched some of those you've sent me while back, but not too many. I belive newest loader version there is has Jon, so squeez him a bit so he woul release it, since i really dont know when i'll some spare time - right now i'm doing best i can to ship 3rd run of incognito boards

Tempest, cardridge support was added a year ago - it's of limited use, as i said before - mostly to the copy protection code rom versions tends to have, but at least you cal load 8/16k images - i've patched some of those you've sent me while back, but not too many. I belive newest loader version there is has Jon, so squeez him a bit so he woul release it, since i really dont know when i'll some spare time - right now i'm doing best i can to ship 3rd run of incognito boards

I'm not trying to pressure you to do anything or complaining about lack of features, sorry if it came off like that. I was merely asking about it. If this is something that will be added in the future I'm happy.

I belive newest loader version there is has Jon, so squeez him a bit so he woul release it, since i really dont know when i'll some spare time - right now i'm doing best i can to ship 3rd run of incognito boards

OK, but can you re-send the most recent builds (including ROM builds for Incognito and Ultimate, stand-alone XEX version and SIDE/SIDE2 ROM versions)? I have SIDE loaders littered around all over the place from our troubleshooting sessions, and I don't want to rely on time-stamps. :)

One last question. I seem to recall that the Incognito configuration screen had an issue where it was displaying in PAL or something like that and the bottom text was cut off (the time and date). Was this fixed in the latest update? It's not an issue since I can adjust my monitor as needed, I just seem to remember something about it.

Or NTSC GTIA, Antic and master crystal, which would probably do for testing. :)

I belive newest loader version there is has Jon, so squeez him a bit so he woul release it, since i really dont know when i'll some spare time - right now i'm doing best i can to ship 3rd run of incognito boards

Well, since I haven't been sent anything or told otherwise, I'll assume SIDE loader builds I have are most recent, so I'll upload this evening.

1. Yes it was, and you'll need a suitable JTAG cable and (free) software on the PC to install it. Most recent fix was to enable BIOS update flasher to run from XEX loader, so if that's not essential to you, the upgrade might not be critical. A single logic update takes care of the whole board.

Hmm... I just re-read this. So if I get this update I'd be able to do future updates from an XEX file? Or am I not reading that right?

Hmm... I just re-read this. So if I get this update I'd be able to do future updates from an XEX file? Or am I not reading that right?

Correct. However, the only XEX updates currently available - to my knowledge - are my PBI BIOS update and the Incognito BIOS update Candle posted somewhere a while back. What the CPLD update coupled with the forthcoming SIDE loader update does enable you to do is put UFLASH and all your ROMs on the FAT partition of a CF card, run UFLASH direct from the loader, and the load and flash the ROMs right off the FAT. You can thus chop and change ROM slots to your heart's content without any further intervention from the PC. ;)

Correct. However, the only XEX updates currently available - to my knowledge - are my PBI BIOS update and the Incognito BIOS update Candle posted somewhere a while back. What the CPLD update coupled with the forthcoming SIDE loader update does enable you to do is put UFLASH and all your ROMs on the FAT partition of a CF card, run UFLASH direct from the loader, and the load and flash the ROMs right off the FAT. You can thus chop and change ROM slots to your heart's content without any further intervention from the PC. ;)

Neat. I guess I'll wait until you release that SIDE loader update. I still need to find someone nearby with a JTAG loader, or I guess I can send the board to someone if they're offering that service (anyone doing this?).