IGNORED

INTV Best Game of All Times - Round 1 - 8/25 (more shoot'em up + arcades)

vprette

What is the best game in the list  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Vote the best INTV game from the following list

• River Raid (Activision)
    • Mission X (Mattel - Data East)
    • Defender (Atari - Williams)
    • Zaxxon (Coleco - Sega)
    • Space Battle (Mattel)
  2. 2. Vote the best INTV arcade conversion from the following list

• Mission X (Mattel - Data East)
    • Defender (Atari - Williams)
    • Zaxxon (Coleco - Sega)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is one of the pools to vote the best games ever for Intellivision :-)

The will be several pools of 5 titles each to cover the following categories:

- Best game of all time

- Best sport game

- Best shoot'em up

- Best arcade conversion

- Best producer

Sport and shoot'em up have a specific category because of the many representative titles.

Arcade games have a specific category since it was a must of that time to port games from the arcade to console, and I remember all the magazines evaluating the power of the consoles by comparing the conversions :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astrosmash is waiting for the next opponent :-)

You also have some arcade conversion here so double vote.

Activision-River-Raid.jpgMattel-Mission-X.jpgAtarisoft-Defender.jpg

Coleco-Zaxxon.jpgMattel-Space-Battle.jpg

I haven't played any of them! :(

Well, I've tried to play Space Battle, but I never liked it. As I remember, Zaxxon was a rather poor interpretation of the original. The rest, I don't know enough to vote on...

-dZ.

I haven't played any of them! :(

Well, I've tried to play Space Battle, but I never liked it. As I remember, Zaxxon was a rather poor interpretation of the original. The rest, I don't know enough to vote on...

-dZ.

I have played all of them, but do not want to influence votes :-)

yes zaxxon is a poor interpretation (if you compare the upcoming space raid, you really think coleco developers were not so able...)

really a shame, since zaxxon was far away my preferred between the 5 titles in general... :-<

Edited by vprette
  • Like 1

Space Battle is a great game that provides both an action and strategy element. I also think it makes good use of the keypad without being impossible to manage. In some ways it is like a prequel to Space Spartans, but I also enjoy it on its own. The fact that it is a unique title that really showed how Intellivision could handle deeper gameplay pulls it ahead of (another) port of River Raid for me.

Space Battle is a great game that provides both an action and strategy element. I also think it makes good use of the keypad without being impossible to manage. In some ways it is like a prequel to Space Spartans, but I also enjoy it on its own. The fact that it is a unique title that really showed how Intellivision could handle deeper gameplay pulls it ahead of (another) port of River Raid for me.

people seems to agree with you

but for my remembration the strategy was very basic since opponent storms just keep going to the center of the map whatever you do....

I got the impression that the gameplay suffered from losing the Battlestar Galactica brand and maybe could have been deeper

Edited by vprette

This one was a bit easier than some of the other polls for me. I really liked the Defender port, and the Atarisoft games generally. It was tough to choose between River Raid, Defender and Space Battle but I ended up choosing River Raid on that one. Mission X is fine, though I never played the original arcade game. Zaxxon never really "worked" for me. I loved the original, and after playing the Colecovision version of that and DK, was permanently scarred when I experienced the Intellivision versions.

Ironically AtariSoft games on the Intellivision are excellent. The four of them (if Dig Dug is included) are excellent conversions, so Defender got my vote.

Space Battle got my vote because of the mix of Action and Real Time Strategy. Extremely innovative at the time!

Battlestar Galactica was made into a game… Wow!

This one was a bit easier than some of the other polls for me. I really liked the Defender port, and the Atarisoft games generally. It was tough to choose between River Raid, Defender and Space Battle but I ended up choosing River Raid on that one. Mission X is fine, though I never played the original arcade game. Zaxxon never really "worked" for me. I loved the original, and after playing the Colecovision version of that and DK, was permanently scarred when I experienced the Intellivision versions.

I found that atarisoft, hipotetically the main opponent of Mattel console, made professional port of their games, and I would have seen more

• Like 1

Agree with wongojack above - Space Battle for me - no contest. It was one of my 1st 3 games with NASL Soccer and the Poker pack in when the inty 1st came out. Definitely innovative and fit the system well. Took me a while to beat most difficult level because I was pretty young when I got it - going on 8. Oh the memories. Chose Defender in the subset but haven't played in agesm

• Like 1

Im so surprised to see space battle taking the lead!

I firmly believe this about Space Battle: Either you "get" the game, or you don't. I've known a few people who really thought it was great. I never really got into it or found it all that much fun, and so spent my time playing other games. In my experience, the split seems rather binary. It's weird, but there seems to be a few of these for the system, and Space Battle is one of them.

My own vote was for River Raid, although we did spend a fair bit of time playing Mission-X also. I voted Defender the best conversion, because I thought it was surprisingly faithful to the original.

Space Battle was one of the originals we got, and we had the 'slow' ROM variant. It didn't take long to master that. I did embarrass myself when playing at a friends house, who, unbeknownst to be prior to my bragging at being a master of that game, had the faster ROM variant. I was humiliated.

I do find the game enjoyable, but a lot of that has to do with the memories it evokes.

I wasn't aware of the variants either. I guess maybe I'll dig through my emu roms and see if there are two of this game.

If Space Battle loses here than both it and Space Spartans are out in the first round - :(

With 2 advancing, Space Battle will move on.