LADIES (very few around here but just in case) AND GENTLEMEN (and well, the same could be said for that too) ALLOW ME TO INTRODUCE...
The PROTOTYPE INTELLIVISION SUPER CONTROLLER!!
I received the two Intellivision 2 systems that I bought off Ebay after InTVNut showed how to release more ram on an Intellvision 2, so I have an extra Intellivision 2 to experiment on. Luckily both came with four controllers total, one was in bad outward appearance, all worked! (and while none came with power supplies my good ole Atari 5200 power supply works great, thanks for whoever gave me that tip.)
So I took the crappy looking Intellivision 2 controller apart and just about destroyed it figuring it out. The second one I took apart without breaking anything.
The Intellivision 1 controller, while much much easier to take apart has the mylar underlay where it has to rest on the pins just right to make connections. This was the only thing I was worried about.
The Intellivision 2 controllers has a molex (I believe they call it that) place where the wires are CONNECTED to the Mylar underlay. That makes things sooooo much easier than I thought it would be.
So what you do it take the mylar underlay and place something in between the mylar layers to break the connection of the upper and lower "buttons" basically:
So you get the idea.
And what you want to do is break the connection on one set of mylar for the keypad, and then on the other set for the disc.
Now place one on top of the other, plug up both cords, and now when you play only one of either is used.
I put the keypad I wanted to use on the botton of this mylar sandwich. The layer with the good disc on the top. I figure you want good disc controller before you would need buttons. With the buttons you can press a little harder if need be, but when I quickly tested this out, the buttons seemed pretty responsive.
I mean responsive for a controller that was not completely put together and wanting to fall apart in my hands. But I was able to move the character in Tron Deadly Discs, and throw the disc while running, which is the point of all this!
My next trick, making it all fit in the case. The mylar sandwich should not be a problem, but I might need to dremmell the end of the controller case to allow the second set of wires somewhere to set.
Just wanted to let everyone know, we might have a solution!!