IGNORED

Richard "Lord British" Garriott's newest challenge

Bill Lange

Well, converting the code by hand isn't a problem. In fact it's probably better if someone doesn't do it. I think the code has only been made available so that developers can see how the program works and what it does. Taking a look at the comments on the Shroud of the Avatar site, it looks like people are taking it far too literally, with talk of creating emulators and so forth.

The code itself has several issues that would make a direct conversion useless - only allows one player name to be typed in, for example. From what I can make out in the specifications for the competition, they'd like people to develop across several platforms if possible. This suggests that they at least want the option to make it into a commercial application. As it stands, the original code base just won't do.

My problem is that you need Unity Pro to render to textures. I'm not sure my budget can stretch to $75pm for a feature I'm only going to use once.