IGNORED

Forgotten TI Realms

Ksarul

I was doing some random searching today and I found this very interesting TI blog from a TI user who has apparently been working in a bit of a vacuum. He has apparently gotten an FTP client and a TCPIP stack running on a TI with AMS memory. . .he also has it running on a 99/8!

Looking at his blog posts, he has a LOT of interesting things going on, but his last post is about 4 years ago, which worries me. I don't have accounts on any of the services that can post comments to the blog, unfortunately. . .

Here's the URL:

http://forgottenti.blogspot.com/

• Like 3

Yeah, sad, it might have given up since he never got any comments, or has a new site someplace, but searching for 'fewl software' is hard google keeps auto-correcting my bad spelling to 'full software'.. :)

He looked for other TI'ers and sadly found the TI Yahoo Group first, and not this cool place, and was the reason he started that blog instead:

Today I came across a TI group called TI Yahoo group. It looked like a fun place to join. But I start reading recent comments and see bitter people arguing about community. Why people argue about 30 year old technology is silly. Do people have nothing better to do? I do and that is why I not join that community. Sorry I ever found link to THAT one

His 'prototype' device sounds great, seems he even built his own SD Flash reader, and his own V9958 emulator device also, along with coding the ethernet stack, so he did a cf7+ and f18a already first, its a real shame he didn't find a good community to share and follow along with others that would be thankful for his hard work.

• Like 2

That device sounds both wonderful and painful at the same time. Reading through the posts, it seems it hooks up to both the cartridge as well as the sidecar expansion slot? And what's that stuff about the cassette and joystick ports?

http://forgottenti.blogspot.be/2009/03/some-hardware.html

Anyway, no further info on Andrew Fewl on the internetz, so we'll be damn lucky if we ever hear more of this. I think he's European, looking at his posting times... maybe someone knows about him in one of the local communities (looking at his English grammar, I'd say more likely to be Southern European than Northern European)?

Perhaps it's because when you Google "ti-99/4a" you don't hit this place at all (at least not on the first 10 pages of results). Could those of you with your own websites place a link to AtariAge on the front page?

Yeah that is problem, because we buried into tiny section of ATARI age, its not a TI99 only forum site.

Sadly all attempts at running a ti99 only forum has failed for some reason in attracting posts and members and good subject matter.

I was thinking of setuping up a 'redirect site' another site with a ton of links, seo, meta keywords, descriptions with a good ti99 domain, but it really has this forum only loaded into it has frame of 'redirect site' to help bring more people in via search and other means.

• Like 2

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/

is a site about old tube radios. The forum's built-in search never worked well, so eventually the site owner set it up to be crawled by google. Pretty much any term, topic or radio model one might search on with google will reference a pertinent thread in their forums, if one exists. It draws a lot of outside traffic to their website.

Atari Age might be ranked for TI99 relevance in a search based on the site title, embedded html keywords or greatest activity as opposed to a much broader "any given keyword in any post" type of search.

Before I found Atari Age, about all I was aware of was Rich Polivka's 99er.net and few others with TI pages. Rich has tried several forum variants over the years, none of which was very active. I did meet Tursi there long ago and a few others. Rich has just launched a new forum, I joined last night and recognized some members from here. Member base is up to 9 with my joining, so get over there, join and help spread the word. http://www.99er.net/99erbbs/index.php

I list a TI webring on my own page, but haven't browsed it for many a year now. It's recently become more invasive in it's nature, I'd hate to have to remove it due it trying to take over my own content more than just a link at the bottom. Yeah, it's gotta go! http://www.whiteriverprep.com/ti99/index.html

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak

No, sorry... That would be me :). Blogger will automatically redirect you to a localized version. You can try changing the .be or .com to something like .fr or .it and you'll end up in exactly the same place.

That would make sense now ;). Too bad it doesn't give the localized version of the person blogging.

Perhaps it's because when you Google "ti-99/4a" you don't hit this place at all (at least not on the first 10 pages of results). Could those of you with your own websites place a link to AtariAge on the front page?

Done on the Gameshelf site.

I think with the next update I'm going to create a proper Links section.

I beg to differ.

post-27864-0-02167000-1398007370_thumb.png

post-27864-0-23867900-1398007535_thumb.png

I beg to differ.

On my google it (Atariage) is fifth one down, after a bunch of old history with bill showcasing the ti99 on tv, print ads.

Also google is different depending on your IP (location), if I use my default google location which is (google.com.do) 'dominican republic', which google auto-detects and changes .com to, atariage is on 3rd page, so I have my home page set to google.ca that way i can get 'normal american' type searches, without google auto-picking my location i should be in.

remember google also 'changes' based on your type of 'browsing history' and 'previous searchs' and 'clicks' and if you signed in or not.

Try going to computer that never searched for 'ti-99/4a' and see what you get..

Edited by Gary from OPA

On my google it (Atariage) is fifth one down, after a bunch of old history with bill showcasing the ti99 on tv, print ads.

Also google is different depending on your IP (location), if I use my default google location which is (google.com.do) 'dominican republic', which google auto-detects and changes .com to, atariage is on 3rd page, so I have my home page set to google.ca that way i can get 'normal american' type searches, without google auto-picking my location i should be in.

remember google also 'changes' based on your type of 'browsing history' and 'previous searchs' and 'clicks' and if you signed in or not.

Try going to computer that never searched for 'ti-99/4a' and see what you get..

I am always signed out, also use an old Google "blocker" which randomizes User-Agent and other data requested by Google and its JavaScripting. I went to two other computers which have never searched for "ti-99/4a" and found that on one AA does not show up in the first five pages, and on the other it shows up on page two. Really damned strange.

He searched for "TI-99/4a Programming" <-- Adding programming makes a huge difference.

I searched for that in the first shot and "ti-99/4a" (have to look in the search field in the upper-right for the second.)

As an aside, I tend to not use Google for personal searches, preferring Yahoo or DDG. But Yahoo! is just as fscking annoying as it was back in the day that pushed me to Google. It has ads and bullshyte all over the place.

You also got to remember this 'forum' on AtariAge has not been around for long, looking at the threads, the first post here was made in Nov. 2009.

And our Mr Andrew Fewl if he was using search engines at the time to find other TI99'ers to chat with, he would had been doing it back in early 2009 as he posts in April 2009 he found the Yahoo group, so sadly Atariage would have NOT on his list of TI99 jewels to explore and connect with as it was not even born yet in the eyes of the 'net back then.

And most of good active threads on here didn't get made into middle of 2010, like the Classic99 one or RXB one, which was after sadly the last post on his Forgotten TI Realms blog, so if he was still searching for other TI99'ers he might have given up, since still AtariAge was just starting its first baby steps in moving into vast world of the Internet in 2010.

SORRY POST EDITED: (Because for some reason, the links by parsing on AtariAge here, messed up the rest of my post, making some of it not clearly readable, so I removed the links)

Edited by Gary from OPA

I dig that, but at the same time some of my own sites which have not been around for more than a couple of years were indexed quickly by Google. Of course, none are as deep or as complex as AtariAge. I am settled on the idea that Google is a strange, mysterious, and mythical beast with little rhyme or reason so far as we may be concerned. :)