IGNORED

Lemmings 2

Guitari

Over on SMS power the original developer of the shelved Lemmings 2 has just released the roms for Game Gear and Master System. A massive gift to the Sega community.

I haven't read the whole thread as it's quite lengthy but I've downloaded and played the roms which I think are complete.

It makes me wonder, from a total layman's perspective, if it possible to port Lemmings 2 to Lynx and if so perhaps someone in the know could get in touch with the guy (Matt Taylor).

Here's the link the to the thread and downloads http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61168#61168

Interestingly while I was fishing through my Master System roms I found Rygar! I had no memory of finding this on the Master System - it has the same music and similar game play which you would expect of course.

Cheers.

Level format is different and the lynx version does not support that many lemmings. thus you would have to re-edit the levels.

Apart from that its easy to replace the levels... tehy are packed by a simple packer and can be unpacked changed and written back.

same for the code table.

as long as you do not want to change the 4*30 levels scheme and the graphics.

Thanks Sage. that sounds positive. Maybe the developer can be persuaded to share his code to someone with lynx know-how... if it's easy to do so.

It's all pie in the sky of course but think how great it would be to have lemmings 2 alongside your lemmings in your lynx collection!

lemmings 2 is different as you have different game play. new features etc. this is not a simple just replace the levels and codes thing loike in chips challenge or crystal mines 2.

in chips challence the levels files were close to identical and still if you want to use the literally hundreds of available levels you have to carefully select the ones which do not exceed the limits of the lynx version.

for lemmings its even worse you would have to "convert" the levels to a different binary format AND by that also check the gameplay of each level carefully.

Interesting - thanks Sage - not so positive perhaps after all!

Are the additional Chips Challenge levels available for the public somehow?

Sure, but they are not from me thus I wont put them on cart. but you can use my script to create your own cart with the levels which you copy together.

Well, and you have to check every level by hand if it fits to the lynx specs (which are much tigther than for the dos version)..

You will find some helpfull links at the bottom of the following page:

http://lynxdev.atari.org/blog/chips.xhtml

Edited by sage

>That's why I said XMAS or Easter Lemmings, maybe Oh no more Lemmings (standard lemmings types etc),

Sure.

>but would have to convert from ST or PC to whatever format the Lynx uses.

clever. how?

lynx has different sized tiles/sprites. maybe even the tiles are different.

At least the coordinates are different. seems the lynx does not support all features from the dos/amiga/atari format.

amiga level file size: 2048 bytes, lynx 1024. they somehow "bit compressed" the level format. bite have different meaning etc...

it will take a while to check that out.

and then... you still do not have a level editor for the lynx. you just can hope that automatic conversion works.

Sure, but they are not from me thus I wont put them on cart. but you can use my script to create your own cart with the levels which you copy together.

Well, and you have to check every level by hand if it fits to the lynx specs (which are much tigther than for the dos version)..

You will find some helpfull links at the bottom of the following page:

http://lynxdev.atari.org/blog/chips.xhtml

That's great that this is out there for those in the know. However I would have no idea when it comes to creating carts. I have crystal mines 2 buried treasure and so would also love to have extra chips challenge levels on cart.

I'd be surprised if the Lynx coder hadn't started working on Lemmings 2 before commercial Lynx development ended. It's been years since I've seen the end credits for the game, but didn't he include a special plea for funding the sequel in it?

Wow, sounds interesting. Let's hope lemmings 2 might surface in the same way that it did for GG!!

• 2 weeks later...

I really think the programmer would be interested in releasing a Lemmings 2 rom for the Lynx.

Remember how he ends his looooooooooong Lemmings' credits:

enjoy your lynx. it is
the best of all of the
hand held portable machines.
only with your support can
we produce software for this
lovely little piece of
hardware with a goal
keeping the machine alive and kicking

well i may not have plans
to do anything in the immediate
future on the lynx, but if it is still around in a few
years maybe I'll do lemmings ii on it.

then again maybe not
i suppose i would have to
be mad to attempt it but then
again anyone who attempts a major
programming feat using a 6502 must be mad
but don't forget the lovely hardware
this little machine can do more to the
display than an amiga
can thanks to rj mical and his team
for being insane enough to design such
a nice piece of hardware and having the foresight
to produce their development software on the amiga
maybe it's because they
had something to do with that as well?

bye...

So, why can't we dream?

Edited by elmillortoni
  • Like 2

Has anyone a contact address (email or otherwise) of the programmer? We could contact him, right? He might have the original source code. The original development environment is "easy" to arrange. So, who knows. Ys, we can dream.