IGNORED

Retro Gamer Magazine VS Retro Magazine

PDog

Apparently there is a new retro gaming magazine called "Retro". I guess I have to ask, what's the point if there's already a high-quality magazine catering to the same niche market? In their kickstarter, they said "I feel like there's a void in the marketplace for a real high quality US-based video gaming magazine." LMAO!

Neither of these magazines appeal to me. I only care about systems up to the NES era and half the magazine I'm flipping through and skipping content I don't care about.

I bought an issue of Retro Gamer and I enjoyed the content that appealed to me but there was a lot of stuff I skipped over because I don't care about late 80s and 90s console gaming.

This is why I started Retrocade Magazine which focused on arcades and consoles produced up to the mid 80s only. Sure it wasn't flashy like Retro Gamer but a lot of people commented on how it was well written.

Do you mean this?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217255-retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-magazine-kickstarter/

I beg to disagree and whats the problem with having two magazines?

If you want to know why, this is my take:

I've read Retro Gamer for almost a decade and I love it but it's catered towards the UK audience. In other words your going to get more coverage of games and systems that were popular over there like the ZX Spectrum etc. They do this a LOT. Almost every issue focuses on gaming in the UK which can be fairly different from what was going on here. Don't just look at the cover of the magazine and judge it....look at all the content and most issues are geared towards classic PAL games.

I've been waiting a long time for a US based classic gaming magazine to cater towards what WE played here in the states and cover more games and systems from our perspective like C64, Atari computers and those US games that never made it over there.

Here's hoping Retro makes good on its delivery.

• Like 2

I beg to disagree and whats the problem with having two magazines?

I've read Retro Gamer for almost a decade and I love it but it's catered towards the UK audience. In other words your going to get more coverage of games and systems that were popular over there like the ZX Spectrum etc. They do this a LOT. Almost every issue focuses on gaming in the UK which can be fairly different from what was going on here. Don't just look at the cover of the magazine and judge it....look at all the content and most issues are geared towards classic PAL games.

Same here. I have a ton of RG issues, but I didn't buy every issue. Too much Spectrum, Sensible Soccer, and similar UK-directed stuff for my 80's/90's USA palette. I do like some of it though, but only as a curiosity, not want I really want to read about. I never saw Retro yet , hope it does well too.

• Like 2

Same here. I have a ton of RG issues, but I didn't buy every issue. Too much Spectrum, Sensible Soccer, and similar UK-directed stuff for my 80's/90's USA palette. I do like some of it though, but only as a curiosity, not want I really want to read about. I never saw Retro yet , hope it does well too.

It has Patrick Scott Patterson and Pat the NES punk writing for it. Pat is a complete hack that only cares about plugging himself and making money in any way he can. PSP genuinely cares about gamers and can write some really great stuff when he wants, but lately just keeps whining about how the media is out to destroy the gaming industry and talks about how no game in history had any connection to violence whatsoever. I think Retro can be successful if they get good writers and don't stray from true retro gaming (and no, PS2 is NOT retro!).

Do you mean this?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217255-retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-magazine-kickstarter/

whats the problem with having two magazines?

I've read Retro Gamer for almost a decade and I love it but it's catered towards the UK audience. In other words your going to get more coverage of games and systems that were popular over there like the ZX Spectrum etc.

I agree. I've cherry-picked a few back issues of Retro Gamer to read when I've been traveling, etc., and I've been very impressed.. astounded, even... at the level of refinement and depth that goes into that publication, but the down side (for me) is that there tends to be lots of multi-page articles and features related to systems, games, developers, etc. that I don't know a thing about or identify with in any way because I come from a different geographical sect of retro gaming. I certainly don't fault the mag for leaning towards its own home turf, but I can see that there is definitely room in the market for a North-America-centric retro magazine, even if there is a fair bit of overlap. I've subscribed to Retro, but I haven't spent any time with it yet, so for me, it remains to be seen whether it makes good on its mission statement.

As for the inclusion of content that is either not retro enough, or outright modern, I'm willing to take that in stride for the most part, as long as there is some discernible link back to retro-ness. I might skip over it, or I might find it interesting, but as a practical matter, it's hard to argue against the benefits of subject matter diversification.

Edited by Cynicaster
  • Like 2